SOT: Gas is $3. What your mileage?

LongJim

1997 Crysler Concord

2001 Crysler PT Cruiser manual transmission

If I could afford a new Hybrid or something like that I would get it. Though Hybrid doesn't matter when traveling at highway speeds. Runs on gas when you reach 40 MPH or so. Everything below runs on battary.

For all you guys complaining about gas mileage, Ford is having a helluva deal on their entire lineup(Volvo, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Jaguar, Land Rover, & Aston Martin).

0% up to 72 months and from what I've heard, they have lowered the credit rating requirements to qualify for this.

I'm so tempted to get rid of the Wife's Jeep and take advantage of this.

ohmy.gif  biggrin.gif

Now could be a good time to buy Ford Stock*.

*In no way does this represent sound investment advice, just pointing out a Fortune 500 (Ford is #5) whose stock is at its lowest point in more then a decade.

Edited by UNTFan23

I didn't see anyone post their Motorhome. I was just wondering what the big Motorhomes get per gallon and how many gallons do they hold?

About a year ago, I was on vacation and was filling up next to a guy in what looked like a 28' motor home. As I recall, he said that he got something like 6 mpg. But his motor home wasn't a diesel. He also said that his tank held around 75 gallons.

About a year ago, I was on vacation and was filling up next to a guy in what looked like a 28' motor home. As I recall, he said that he got something like 6 mpg. But his motor home wasn't a diesel. He also said that his tank held around 75 gallons.

It has amazed me that the fuel efficiency is so much better with a diesel. The 5 of us go camping pretty regularly (we'll be at Lake Bob Sandlin in Sept.) and we pull a 10' Jayco trailer and load down the pickup bed with wood, bikes, food, etc. when we go. Conservatively, maybe 3500-3800 lbs.

If I get 19-20 mpg with no load, I get around 16 towing that rig. It's not a big load, for sure, but my buddy, who tows a bit lighter with a gas V8, a smaller trailer, and 1 less kid/stuff, gets about 9-10 mpg towing.

I had stopped for diesel a few months ago, and a tractor/trailer with a load of fuel stopped beside me. The driver looked over and said "How much does it cost you to fill that thing up?" I told him, "About 75-80 dollars for both tanks."

He chuckled and pointed to his rig and said "Try $650. Three times a week." ph34r.gif

The main problem with current hybrids is that batteries are terribly inefficent energy storage mechanisms.

Wait until the hydraulic hybrids hit the market, they use hydraulic cylinders to store energy. Ford's F150 concept gets a reported 60 MPG . If Ford meets thier deadlines, it is rumored it that should be on the street in 2008.

The main drawback is the size of the cylinder system now is pretty large, it can only go into a large frame vehicle like a full size truck.

The hydaulic system was almost fully funded and prodded forth by the EPA, on of the rare cases of your tax dollars actually working for you. laugh.gif

Edited by MeanGreenEngineer

• 3 months later...