Drake catching on fast for uNT

MeanGreen61

Drake catching on fast for UNT

Center being tutored by Brewster

10:41 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 23, 2006

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

When Kelvin Drake arrived at North Texas a few weeks ago, the freshman from Galveston had more to learn than just about any other newcomer on the team.

Drake not only had to adjust to college life, he also had to learn how to play a new position — arguably one of the most complex on the field.

Fortunately for UNT’s newest center, he has one of the best teachers in school history to learn from in Andy Brewster.

The former All-Sun Belt Conference selection and arena league player has made Drake his project in his first year as a UNT graduate assistant coach.

“Brewster is a great coach,” Drake said. “He has taught me how to snap, how to place my hands and all the basics. … They say he is the best center to ever come though North Texas. I have watched his old clips and he just demolished people.”

UNT is hoping Drake will develop into another solid center and believes he has taken the first step in that direction. Drake, 6-2, 300, played guard in high school, but was moved in the early stages of fall practice.

The transition hasn’t always been easy. Starting center Chad Rose injured his groin in an early workout and has missed most of the Mean Green’s practices.

UNT has turned to Drake to fill in for Rose on the first-team offense. Drake has received positive reviews for the most part, but has struggled at times with the center-quarterback exchange.

The problem is one that has plagued all of UNT’s centers and quarterbacks.

“It’s new, but I have to get through it,” Drake said. “I am trying to learn from the older guys. Brewster stays on me all the time about getting the snap up and making sure I take the right steps.”

Brewster mastered those tasks while establishing himself as one of the best offensive linemen in recent UNT history. The former Midland Lee standout started 50 consecutive games from 2001-04 and was a two-time All-Sun Belt Conference selection.

Drake has a long way to go to become a player as accomplished as Brewster, but has gotten off to a solid start.

“For a freshman, Kelvin has picked it up very well,” Brewster said. “When you play center you have to know what everyone on the line is doing. He has picked that up, which is impressive. He still gets lost sometimes, but he has made the biggest strides of out of all the freshmen linemen we have brought in.”

Drake’s development has put him in position to play a significant role this season.

“Sometimes a guy needs a year or two to develop,” UNT head coach Darrell Dickey said. “Kelvin still has a long way to go, but his maturity, physical ability and how he has picked things up have led us to believe he can help us this year.”

UNT began determining which freshmen will have a chance to play this season on Wednesday. Dickey said tight ends Bryant Seidle and Victor Gill could join Drake in contributing as freshmen.

“I am excited about the possibility of playing, but nothing is set in stone,” Seidle said. “I have to work hard because there are a bunch of good tight ends out here. We are pushing each other and getting better.”

Graves out for opener

Senior linebacker Phillip Graves will miss up to the first three games of the season after injuring his left knee.

UNT head coach Darrell Dickey said Graves has either a severely strained or partially torn medial collateral ligament. Sophomores Germaine Dawson and Colt Mahan are expected to help fill the void left by Graves.

UNT unsure of how Quinn injured hand

Receiver Johnny Quinn began his recovery from surgery on his broken left hand on Wednesday. The senior is still expected to be back to practice on Monday in preparation for the Mean Green’s season opener on Sept. 2 at Texas.

Quinn injured his hand during practice on Monday.

“It happened during passing drills,” UNT head coach Darrell Dickey said. “He collided with a safety. When they were untangling there was a little skirmish, although it wasn’t much of one. We don’t know if he injured his hand on the hit of when they got tangled up.”

Briefly …

Linebackers Phillip Graves and Maurice Holman, offensive lineman Dylan Lineberry, wide receiver Johnny Quinn, kicker Denis Hopovac and safety Aaron Weathers were elected captains in a team vote. UNT normally has four captains, but added two extra spots because all six players received a high number of votes. … Sophomore quarterback Daniel Meager was sick and missed practice Wednesday.

“It happened during passing drills,” UNT head coach Darrell Dickey said. “He collided with a safety. When they were untangling there was a little skirmish, although it wasn’t much of one.

Translation: His hand was broke during a fight.

Can someone please tell me what our 2-deep roster looks like; w/o the injured?