Patrick Cobbs "Discussion"

BobFam

It's nice to see mention of Pat in the questions. I included the link along with the specific PC questions and answers.

Link

I was going to wait to see more of Cobbs in pre-season but, Paul aggravated me with his comment "good chance to make practice squad". You mean he will be on someone other teams 53 man roster. If the running game is going to be heavily featured this year the Pats may want to think about stocking the RB position a little more heavily. Say - one kicker 5 RB's.... Thanks you guys Rock, even Paul.

Mike Pal

Hey Pal, get off Paul’s back. He’s getting older and the heavy schedule of training camp has worn him down and shown in his Ask PFW performance. Of course, I also happen to agree with him. Cobbs is a perfect practice squad player. I don’t think he’s a guy that other teams will be beating down the door trying to sign if he gets cut. Guys that put up numbers in reserve action at running back aren’t all that rare in the preseason and teams carry a limited number of backs during the season. Cobbs has looked good, is a nice story and I think he might have a chance down the road. But let’s not go overboard here. New England’s practice squad would be a good first start.

Andy Hart

First, let me say that you guys do a great job. Living in WV, it's difficult to get much news on the Patriots. I've been a subscriber to PFW for about 4 years now. Combine that with the website and NFL Sunday Ticket and I'm set. Now, on to the questions. 1 - Heath Evans was impressive last year, and I know he played sparingly against Atlanta in the preseason opener. Any chance he'll replace Patrick Pass, or will BB consider keeping 2 fullbacks? 2 - Along those lines, if he let's Pass go, would he consider moving Cobbs to the FB or maybe even an "H-Back" position? He's big, fast, and catches the ball well. That’s a pretty good combo for a FB. 3 - I know that Branch is still holding out, at $14,000 a day. He is under contract, so can they force him to play in regular season games? If not, why not consider a trade for Jerry Porter. He has good hands, he's bigger, and, best of all, from West Virginia University. (Sorry... shameless plug for the home state Mountaineers). 4 - Finally, who do you see winning the battle for kicker. Gramattica did ok against Atlanta, but I have concerns about his kicks being too low. The rookie seemed to have more "lift" on his kicks, which leads to less blocks. Thanks guys! Keep up the good work

Greg White

1) I think Evans will make the team, as it’s looking like Pass might start the year on PUP. Even if he doesn’t, Evans might get the roster nod.

2) Cobbs isn’t really big enough to fill and H-back or fullback role. As I said earlier I think the rookie free agent is destined for the practice squad and any role he might carve out for himself down the line would be in a third-down or Kevin Faulk type mold.

3) Branch can holdout as long as he wants, that’s why it’s called a holdout. It’s not like the team can kidnap him and throw him on the field. And as far as Porter goes, it seems like the Raiders are looking for a lot in return, more than market value. I’m not into overpaying in a trade anymore than the Patriots are into overpaying in contracts.

4) I think the rookie Gostkowski has won the job, rather easily. I think he has a stronger leg, better kickoffs, more of an upside and will develop into a pretty good NFL kicker. I’m sure he’ll go through his early lumps, but he’s already shown me he’s better than Gramatica.

Andy Hart

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF A PATRICK COBBS FOR JUSTIN MCCAREINS TRADE? WE NEED A WR AND THE JETS NEED A RB.

Leona Belanger

While the Jets have filled their need at running back with Kevan Barlow. And I didn’t think New York would have traded a proven wide receiver for an undersized rookie free agent running back, regardless of how much Mangini might owe Belichick. Sorry but that’s one of those fantasy trades that people make fun of.

Andy Hart

Hey... Since Cody Spencer is hurt, it is just nice to see a former UNT player in the NFL. biggrin.gif Even if he does end up on the practice squad -- he will be getting a paycheck for playing professional football... which is more than most can say.

unsure.gif Before anyone calls me on it.... yes, I know that Adrian Awasom is at NY Giants camp. But it is impossible to get any news on him.

dry.gif I DID forgot him... My bad. sad.gif

And thanks for the welcome!

Keep 'em coming..... who is playing and where???

Have any guys found success in football outside of the NFL - ie Arena, Europe, Canada???

Keep 'em coming..... who is playing and where???

Have any guys found success in football outside of the NFL - ie Arena, Europe, Canada???

Markeith Knowlton plays for the BC Lions in Canada

BTW...Buck Pierce (NM State) is the starting QB.

Patty Cobbs got mention on Sporting News Radio about a week ago...granted it was GMG.com's very own Patrick Cortes hosting...and me sending e-mails egging it on...but it was a mention nonetheless.

JayDub has given me an idea. I think this football season I should give a North Texas update every weekend on the show, reviewing how our NFL alums have done that day. What do you think? smile.gif

Man, it's been so long since I've posted. I miss this place!!

JayDub has given me an idea.  I think this football season I should give a North Texas update every weekend on the show, reviewing how our NFL alums have done that day.  What do you think?  smile.gif

Man, it's been so long since I've posted.  I miss this place!!

Dude...you think the higher ups at SNR would let you pull that off? Just argue that it's an untapped demographic. smile.gif

You are the wind beneath my wings.

In other words: Do it.

We'll name this message board the Patrick Cortes Mean Green Football Board at GoMeanGreen.com sponsored by Dr Pepper .

LoRo, I think the rename needs to take place now just to make sure Patrick doesn't forget about this plan.