Quinn has hand surgery

MeanGreen61

UNT WR Quinn has hand surgery

Mean Green senior to miss only a few days

10:15 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 22, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas wide receiver Johnny Quinn had surgery to place two pins and a wire his left hand on Tuesday to repair fractures he suffered in practice on Monday morning.

The injury is not expected to keep Quinn out of action for more than a few days.

“Unless there are problems, Johnny will be back at practice next week,” UNT coach Darrell Dickey said. “It’s a big relief for us.”

Dickey was not sure what type of protection Quinn will have to wear on his hand while it heals or how the injury would limit him.

Quinn has led the Mean Green in receiving in each of his first three years at UNT and ranks among the school’s top 10 career leaders in receptions (130), touchdowns (17) and yards (2,085). He was named to the 2006 Preseason All-Sun Belt Conference team.

Quinn said he injured his hand on a teammate’s helmet during practice Monday morning. He sat out the second session of the day and had his hand heavily bandaged with a metal plate underneath.

“We knew there must be something wrong after practice because Johnny isn’t the type to complain,” Dickey said.

Doctors examined Quinn’s hand and performed surgery after determining he had broken bones.

Quinn was determined to return this season after watching the Mean Green’s second practice on Monday.

“If it is up to me, I am going to play,” Quinn said.

Quinn has been among the Mean Green’s most versatile and productive players the last three seasons. He was UNT’s top punt and kick returner in 2005 and finished second on the team with 1,201 all-purpose yards, a total that included 591 receiving yards. He also is a holder for field goals and extra points.

“Any time you lose a guy like Johnny who is on so many special teams, people have to move around,” UNT junior wide receiver Brandon Jackson said. “That’s what happens when you lose a good player. You have to be prepared.”

UNT’s coaches believe they have players who can fill in for at least a few weeks. The Mean Green bring back three wide receivers other than Quinn who played significant roles in 2005.

Jackson finished with 22 catches for 225 yards. Joel Nwigwe added 18 catches for 255 yards, while Zach Muzzy had nine catches for 87 yards. Muzzy also returned kicks and punts.

“Losing Johnny is big,” Jackson said. “He is our leader and sets the tone for the team. We have a lot of talent and can fill in; but knowing Johnny, he will be back next week.”

Rose, Ransom return

Sophomore center Chad Rose and senior linebacker Willie Ransom returned to practice in a limited capacity on Tuesday.

Rose has missed extensive time with a groin injury, while Ransom is battling foot and ankle problems. Both are projected to start this season.

“It would mean a tremendous amount to get both of those guys back,” Dickey said. “We have a true freshman out there at center in Kelvin Drake taking snaps with the first team. We anticipate him playing this fall, but we would like to have them both out there battling and have Chad bring Kelvin along.”

Rose started every game as a redshirt freshman

Ransom is expected to start at an outside linebacker spot and be one of the Mean Green’s primary pass rushers. He battled similar injuries last season, but missed just one game.

“I am trying to get back into the swing of things, but have been held back by little injuries,” Ransom said. “I am getting over them and am trying to keep my body healthy. If I continue to do what I need to, I will be ready for the Texas game.”

Briefly …

Junior offensive lineman Adam Venegas missed practice with a sprained knee. … Senior linebacker Phillip Graves also sat out with a knee injury. … Freshman Tobe Nwigwe has moved to outside linebacker to backup Ransom and provide depth. … Dickey said junior Chase Pistole has adapted well to moving from center back to his natural position on the Mean Green’s defensive line.

How the hell is a WR/PR/KR going to perform with a cast on one of his hands?

Not good.  At least it's one of the deepest positions on the team.

This is like a repeat of Cobbs with a hand cast on taking handoffs and trying to catch a swing pass vs uT last time we played there...not good results. sad.gif

If there is any doubt, he needs to sit out the UT game and hopefully be ready by the SMU game. Although, you got love this kid for his determination to play no matter what. You may have to tie him down to the bench to make sure he heals fully otherwise he may just sneak into the huddle.

If the man wants to play...let him play. I'm sure he knows what he is doing. Besides, you think JQ cant catch one handed if he has to?

AMEN brother... that catch that T. Glenn made Monday night has nothing on some of the JQ catches I've seen! He could probably catch with his elbows if he wanted.

I'm trying to figure out how a hand injury that requires two pins and a wire to repair will allow him to return in a "few days."

So am I. I'm certainly no Doctor, but the fastest that I could ever imagine his hand healing would be in six weeks.

And I'll add this addendum.

If people think that a one-handed Johnny Quinn is a better option than most of the other WR on the team, then they need to get a grip....no pun intended.

We have some fine athletes on this team, who I believe will do their best to rise to the occasion.

Edited by SilverEagle

I've had a similar injury from soccer. This type of injury doesn't really prevent use of the hand, but it does cause a whole lot of pain. So Quinn's ability to play will be mostly dependent on the pain level - which should be better in about a week.

Yes, I did have surgery with 2 pins installed plus one wire.

Obviously, I was not out there catching passes at the DI level the next week :-) But just trying to shed some hope that Quinn will be able to play in the opener. If the pain can be controlled, then I would think that he would likely play.

Did you also have surgery....with pins installed?