FW*Telegram Football notes

OldTimer

TE R0bert Harmon (hernia) expected not ready to play UT. Sr. LB/DE Willie Ransom (foot) is questionable.

Kicking battle remains tight..Woodward/Hopovac might split kickoff and place-kicking duties.

RS FR Evan Robertson has risen to 2nd team behind JaMO at RB.

lack of depth at DE has forced RS FR Tobe Nwigwe (s6-2, 237) to move there from LB, True FR Sam Owusu-Hemeng..has played his way into the rotation between 1st and 2nd team.

Whistles will blow more quickly as MG starts scaling back on the rough stuff..all 3 QB's have missed practice or scrimmage time during fall camp. "They've all showed the toughness that we're looking for" said DD who put his QB's through 2 weeks of sitting duck workouts and scrimmages. "If they take a hit during a game, they'll be able to get back up, go in the hundle and go again. Most of NT's drills until now have involved "live, full speed tackling" DD said. This week defenders are pulling up and avoiding QB's.

Most of NT's drills until now have involved "live, full speed tackling" DD said.  This week defenders are pulling up and avoiding QB's.

Guess that comment explains why it seems like half the starters are injured right now (JMo, Quinn, Rose, Ransom, 3 QB's, etc...) dry.gif

Tobe Nwigwe at DE?... with his ability we may have something here, as long as we stay with the 3-4. Of course, the players are changing positions so much now that we dont know "who will be where?" each practice. We do know this is a very fast defense. Toby could be a perfect fit here at almost 240lbs and RB speed. Not a bad front seven even without Eddie.

DE: J. Chapman\ Ty Rexrode\ J. Stewart

DT: Isaac Thomas\ S. Pruitt\ J. Miller\ Chase Pistole

DE: W. Ransom (Hurt)\ Owusu-Hemeng\ K. Krider

OLB:P. Graves\ L. Brown\ C. Mahan

ILB: Mo. Holman\ S. Early\C. Cooley

MLB: B. Monroe\ D. Mendoza

Bandit: W. Ransom\ T. Nwigwe\R. Durodoye

These lineups change all the time, but I like the way our D looks so far in action. Moving Nwigwe to a spot where his speed kills is a good idea. Count me in...

GMG!!!

What has happened to Stevenson and Burr4us??

They are both still there, but it looked like Stevenson was playing DT and DE. so not sure where he will actually go. Blake Burruss has looked very good in practices... but he is still rotating with the second team guys? I didnt list everyone we have been out there watching because there are so many position changes? I'm not sure day to day where anyone but J-Mo is going to play. Korey Washington gets switched almost weekly from offense to defense, back to offense, back to defense... He may end up being the place kicker? I am glad DD is moving guys to where he thinks they help us most, but jeesh it is hard to keep track of? K-Dub is back on Defense, Chase Pistole from center back to Defense, Kelvin Drake is now at center, Brock Stickler moves from WR to H-back (good move as he could be an Andy Blount type player), Davenport went from LB to FB (now hurt), Matt Menard was a DT, then was moved to OL, now appears to be back on defense (#94 green?) and who knows what else? The good side is how fast our guys are learning their new spots.

Anyway, I'm sure I failed to mention some other front seven guys who will be contributors this year, so follow Matt's write-ups. This is just what I have seen in practice so far.

GMG!!!

From what i hear its close competition for kickoff and fieldgoal duties. and that Woodward is getting stronger and improving from early ailments.

He should improve as he gets used to the college game, balls, and tees. The speed of the defensive rush in college is such a big change for a lot of high school kickers. It makes them tend to hurry kicks and not follow form.