DRC - Wilson 95% for scrimmage

MeanGreen61

Football: QB Wilson ‘95 percent’ for scrimmage

Dickey looking for offensive improvement

08:40 AM CDT on Saturday, August 19, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas may get one of its key offensive players back for full-contact drills today, just in time for the second scrimmage of fall practice.

Quarterback Woody Wilson, a junior college transfer who is competing for the starting job, practiced at full speed on Friday during the Mean Green’s only session of the day and said he is ready to play in UNT’s 8 a.m. workout.

Wilson has been battling a strained right knee and has spent the last two days wearing a red non-contact jersey.

“My knee feels pretty good,” Wilson said. “It’s up to the coaches, but I think I can go tomorrow without a red jersey. I feel like I am 95 percent. I am going to try to go without a knee brace and just wear a sleeve.”

UNT head coach Darrell Dickey said he anticipates Wilson playing in the scrimmage.

UNT’s quarterback race that has included Wilson and a pair of sophomores in Daniel Meager and Matt Phillips has been the key issue of fall practice thus far. Meager is the returning starter, while Phillips played significant time last season.

Freshman Nathan Tune of Celina complicated matters after a solid performance playing with the Mean Green’s second and third teams during the first scrimmage of fall practice on Wednesday. Tune led UNT on two scoring drives, prompting Dickey to add the former Celina standout to the list of players with a chance to win the starting job.

Watching the scrimmage from the sideline was tough for Wilson, who was held out for precautionary reasons.

“I need to get out there and see where I am at with the injury,” Wilson said. “I want to be out there with the team because this is one of the last scrimmages. I want to make the most of it.”

The race for the starting job appears wide open, especially after the Mean Green struggled in the first scrimmage of fall practice. UNT went 16 possessions without scoring to open the workout before finally getting on the board on a 26-yard pass from Meager to wide receiver Brandon Jackson.

“Our struggles offensively in the first scrimmage were pretty much our own fault,” Dickey said. “There is something encouraging about that because they are things we can control like laying the ball on the ground, jumping offside, drive-killing penalties and negative yardage plays. … Sometimes you go out there and are doing the best you can, not making mistakes and you are still not making yards. That would be much more discouraging.”

Turnovers caused many of UNT’s struggles. The Mean Green had three fumbles and two interceptions returned for touchdowns.

“We had a lot of balls on the ground, so holding onto it has been our main priority in practice,” UNT fullback James Mitchell said. “We have been working on that and the other mistakes we made.”

Dickey attributed the Mean Green’s struggles offensively in part to the number of young players who are filling in for injured starters or are taking on prominent roles for the first time. Freshman Kelvin Drake has been filling in for Chad Rose at center and is one of several young players who are gaining experience in the early stages of fall workouts.

UNT is hoping those players begin to settle in today.

“I want better execution from our offense, our offense taking care of the ball and our quarterbacks taking charge in the huddle so there are not questions about what to do at the line of scrimmage,” Dickey said. “I want to see us get in a tempo where we are getting in the huddle, getting to the line and executing the play.”

Wilson’s return could help the Mean Green find a rhythm.

The former Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College standout is one of the quickest quarterbacks UNT has had during the Dickey era and has also shown a strong arm in practice. Wilson lacks playing time in UNT’s system, but does have experience after beginning his college career at the junior college level.

“I just need to get out there and build some chemistry with the rest of the guys,” Wilson said.

Briefly …

Meager took a hard hit in practice Friday and sat out the last half of workouts. He is expected to play today. … Dickey said multiple players would miss the Mean Green’s scrimmage, but was not sure who would be held out. Offensive lineman Dylan Lineberry (shoulder), tight end David Collins (ankle), running back Deavin Cox and offensive lineman Robert Peachey all missed practice. … Wide receiver Joel Nwigwe wore a red non-contact jersey.