Are we too picky as NT fans, or underserved?

NT80

I am curious how we as fans are compared to other fans of 1-A programs. And what should our expectations be in return?

On the negative side I know we don't donate $ like BCS schools. We have paltry home attendance for a school of 30K in a metro area of 5 million. I am sure our travel numbers could also be much larger to major sports away games and more home attendance for minor sports. Many students and alums remain aloof to the Athletic program and feign support for the school.

Yet, I see signs that fan interest is there, waiting for something good to ever happen. The New Orleans Bowls during mid-week drew many more NT fans than I thought possible, some of which never show at Fouts and came from all over the US. Our fan boards, yes we have at least two, seem to be some of the most active among non-BCS programs. We hold our own in responding to attacks from other boards...ie: we travel well on the internet!

Gameday experience from tailgating to concessions has improved 1000% in the last few years. Many more options for food and activities are available as well as info from video-boards to concession TVs. The MGC offers nice gifts and a re-done deck and BB meeting areas. They try to supply food/drink but that area needs work in efficiency and options.

The main areas I see needing improvememt from my view is info, merchandise, and quality products on the court and fields.

The official website is a great tool for fans as long as it's maintained and updated. An outdated roster for the sport in season is unexcusable. Likewise, if you want to attract more football fans you have to supply more football information. Practice updates should be daily during camp, it's free advertising. More media is more advertising. Where is our DFW Marketing team?? Wake them up! How about posting future schedules, even incomplete, when known?

I slowly see more hats in area malls, but shirts and other items are still scarce outside Denton. We are being out-shelved by Troy in some stores in the Metroplex, that's a sin! mad.gif

The last item, quality of product, is the most important to a fan yet the least influenced by the fans. We don't write coaching contracts or sign players but for sure we'll tell you our opinions about them. I think RV reads the boards enough to get the gist of what's on our minds in different areas. If the hard-core fans like it or don't like it you can be sure the casual fan will be turned on or off about it even sooner. MOre fans are needed, but more results are needed first.

Rant over...carry on.

I don't see the merchandise as much of a big issue anymore. They have made leaps and bounds of progress when compared to the old logos, gear. And as long as you're willing to drive up to denton you can get just about anything you want. I'm not worried about people not finding NT gear in wal mart or sams. Drive up to denton. We want then up there anyway, don't we? smile.gif

we don't donate $ like BCS schools. We have paltry home attendance for a school of 30K in a metro area of 5 million.

That's the key right there. You don't get much without giving and if few are interested, it really doesn't matter what you put on the field. That said, winning gets attention, that's fer sure.