Patriots Training Camp: Thursday Notes

KingDL1

"Brady took over and ran the two-minute drill by hitting Troy Brown down the seam for a big gain. Patrick Cobbs made a nice catch across the middle before Brady missed Brown when the two appeared to be on a different page. Cassel came back on the field to end the drill, throwing a Hail Mary that was almost caught by Caldwell but he was entangled with another receiver that caused him to lose control of the ball."

Thursday Notes

But the man everyone will be talking about is rookie free agent Patrick Cobbs (that’s Patrick, not Cedric). You expect Maroney and Dillon to do what they did. But Cobbs dazzled everyone with his work in the second half, against albeit substandard defensive resistance.

Cobbs startled everyone in the third quarter by taking a screen toss from Cassel from the Patriot 43. Into the left flat he scampered, then thanks to seal blocks from Wesly Britt and Nick Steitz, he was off and running down the left sideline. He then sidestepped a tackler at the five and ran in for a 57-yard scoring pass which made it 16-13 Atlanta. Patriot Nation went scrambling to their computers or their media guides with one question in mind: Who is Patrick Cobbs?

You know now. Cobbs, from North Texas State, finished with three catches for 80 yards, and five rushes for 25 yards. It might not bump him up far on the depth chart, but Belichick noticed, you can be sure.

I watched AA tonight and was surprised how big he's gotten. If he's lost weight then I guess I had never noticed because he's huge compared to when he was here. He got a lot of time tonight and got some good pressure inside picking up double teams on the switch.

Rick

Rick, I'm not gonna argue with you on the muscle end. What I was noticing was that he looked more fit, like he has lost the weight around the middle. I really hope AA stays with the Giants, but with Strahan, Tuck, the 1st round pick and Osi (can't spell his last name) all at DE he really has an up hill battle.

Back to the Cobbs topic, if he is practicing with Brady they make be grooming him to take over Faulk's spot...

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

Rick, I'm not gonna argue with you on the muscle end.  What I was noticing was that he looked more fit, like he has lost the weight around the middle.  I really hope AA stays with the Giants, but with Strahan, Tuck, the 1st round pick and Osi (can't spell his last name) all at DE he really has an up hill battle.

Back to the Cobbs topic, if he is practicing with Brady they make be grooming him to take over Faulk's spot...

---Faulk is now 30, closer to 31.....meanwhile Patrick is 23... 7 years younger and seems to have the same skills and similiar size. Who would you keep???

---Both seem to be rather intelligent guys and neither have a history of causing problems. Faulk's future is short at best. What edge does Faulk have other than he has been there for a while?? That is likely a push since he will not improve from where he is now, Patrick could. Patrick has hope if he keeps producing, he is totally different than the two big backs --one of which will not around long either (Dillion is almost 33). Faulk has been the 3rd down back or long yardage back which Patrick could fit into since he can catch --as last week showed. Money-wise Patrick is chaep at this point...cheaper than Kevin I would think, so that helps the salary-cap. Practicing with Brady tells me that are testing him out very closely and are considering keeping him if he matches Kevin Faulk.

--Several teams seem to be RB desperate for an decent or backup RB. Faulk would likely be better trade bait than Patrick since he has an NFL history.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66