DRC article on 1st NT scrimmage,Tune leads to 2 TD

OldTimer

QB's struggle in first UNT scrimmage

Wilson sits out with sore knee

09:20 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 16, 2006

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

What was expected to be the opening act of a three-way battle for the starting quarterback job at North Texas began on a bad note Wednesday morning. And it didn’t get much better afterward.

Junior Woody Wilson didn’t play in the Mean Green’s first scrimmage of fall practice due to a sore knee and sophomores Daniel Meager and Matt Phillips both struggled against a UNT defense that scored five touchdowns off of turnovers while dominating the first live action of fall practice.

“I was encouraged that we could move the ball when we executed, but we make too many mistakes and put the ball on the ground way too many times to beat anyone,” UNT coach Darrell Dickey said. “We have to learn to take care of the ball, whether it’s the quarterback-center exchange, running with it or catching it and keeping it.”

UNT’s defense ran a pair of interceptions back for touchdowns and returned fumbles for three more scores. Those turnovers contributed to a prolonged offensive drought to begin the scrimmage.

UNT went through 16 offensive possessions before Meager found junior Brandon Jackson streaking down the sideline for a 26-yard touchdown — the first score of the day for UNT’s offense.

The Mean Green struggled on offense last season when they ranked seventh out of eight teams in the Sun Belt Conference with an average of 14.3 points a game. The experience both Meager and Phillips gained as freshmen and the addition of Wilson are expected to help change the Mean Green’s fortunes.

Both Meager and Phillips had their moments in the scrimmage, but struggled to consistently move the Mean Green.

“It was the story of who we are,” UNT offensive coordinator Ramon Flanigan said. “When we execute, we are very tough to defend and have guys who can make plays with the ball in their hands. When we don’t execute, that is how we look. We have to get more consistency, where our bad plays are not nearly as bad and when we have a chance to make positive plays, we make them a high percentage of the time.”

Perhaps the biggest surprise of the scrimmage was freshman walk-on Nathan Tune, who arguably made the most plays among UNT’s quarterbacks. Tune moved the Mean Green’s third-team offense consistently and threw a 31-yard touchdown pass to fellow freshman Victor Gill, a tight end from Argyle.

Both Dickey and Flanigan said Tune would receive more opportunities if he continues to play well.

“We will throw him in the mix,” Dickey said. “We will play whoever moves the ball. I don’t care if he is a senior or if he played last year. If he listens to his quarterbacks coach, does what he is supposed to do, executes and moves the sticks, he will play.”

Dickey said he was pleased with the effort and intensity of most of his players, but there were several aspects of UNT’s performance that he wasn’t happy with.

Turnovers and mistakes were at the top of the list.

UNT continued to struggle with the center-quarterback exchange, a problem that could be attributed at least in part to starting center Chad Rose missing the scrimmage. Rose pulled his groin in practice and has missed several days of workouts.

Dickey also said UNT’s defense missed too many tackles, but made up for mistakes with several big plays that helped force turnovers.

“We are getting into a groove and are settling into our roles,” junior linebacker Maurice Holman said.

Freshman Kelvin Drake worked with the Mean Green’s first team in place of Rose and was one of a few bright spots named by UNT’s coaches.

Redshirt freshman Evan Robertson also received solid reviews as he continues to work his way up the Mean Green depth chart at running back. Robertson broke an 80-yard touchdown run, but also hurt his cause by fumbling the ball several times.

“I am impressed with the way Evan ran the ball and his pass protection,” UNT running backs coach Ramone Archie said. “The only thing with him was he put too many balls on the ground. That comes when guys are shifty and get careless with the ball. It’s something we will have to work on.”

The problem is just one of several that showed up during the scrimmage that UNT’s players believe they will be able to overcome before their season opener at Texas on Sept 2.

“I don’t know if we struggled that much,” Meager said. “We had a couple of turnovers that set us back. All we can do is work hard on our alignment, assignment and technique and play hard. If we do that success will follow.”

Briefly …

Several players missed UNT’s scrimmage with minor injuries. In addition to Rose, outside linebacker Willie Ransom and cornerback Dominique Green sat out. Both are projected starters. … Tackle Robert Peachey continued to play with the first-team offense. … Freshman guard Nicholas Foster also saw time with the first team. … UNT’s newcomers at tight end continue to impress. Freshman Bryant Seidle saw time with the first team, while redshirt freshman David Collins joined Gill in catching a touchdown pass. … Isaac Thomas burst through UNT’s offense line and drug down Meager in the end zone for a safety. … Senior Ronald Hull has moved from tight end to fullback.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

---Tune, a walk on??? Sounds like the QB situation is nowhere near settled and not is great shape. Someone need to step up and separate themselves from the rest in a hurry. We play UT in two weeks. ....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

“I don’t know if we struggled that much,” Meager said. “We had a couple of turnovers that set us back. All we can do is work hard on our alignment, assignment and technique and play hard. If we do that success will follow.”

This quote alone from Meager sums up why he is not a good field general. Just reading the write-up made me sick to my stomach... either our defense has really gotten better or we really have digressed yet another year. Either way, Meager should be furious at the Offense's performace (just looking and reading the numbers) and should not be "satisfied" that all is good in the neighborhood.

Bring on Phillips, Wilson, or Tune - Meager doesn't have that fire in him that we require.

----The worse item in the two articles is the turnovers, especially the center exchange is is really nuts. That should be almost automatic. Just wait until they get 100,000 eyes watching and thousand more watching from home... Then you will see nervous.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

At this point, I have no intention of joining the QB debate, however.....

SE-66, FFR mentioned weeks ago that Tune looked great in the HS all-star game, and he couldn't understand why Tune was not offered a "ship" by some D-1 school. After watching him yesterday morning, I tend to agree. From what I've seen so far, we've picked up a bargain. Now, he might crash and burn during the rest of the fall camp. But if he remains consistent in his development, we've got a real steady QB option for the team. Not spectacular mind you......but steady and confident....so far.

Stebo, if you saw the intensity and fire that Meager was playing with yesterday, you'd alter your comments somewhat. At one point I saw him grab Collins (a TE) and literally fling him toward where he was supposed to be.

So based on what I saw, I would suggest that Meager was demonstrating some leadership skills in his comments to the press by not pushing the panic button.

“We will throw him in the mix,” Dickey said. “We will play whoever moves the ball. I don’t care if he is a senior or if he played last year.

I think this statement was overlooked, I think it speaks volumes to the Qb competition. Last year's starts aren't holding a lot of value.

If he listens to his quarterbacks coach, does what he is supposed to do, executes and moves the sticks, he will play.”

What caused this? Who isn't listening to the coaches?

SE-66, FFR mentioned weeks ago that Tune looked great in the HS all-star game, and he couldn't understand why Tune was not offered a "ship" by some D-1 school. After watching him yesterday morning, I tend to agree. From what I've seen so far, we've picked up a bargain. Now, he might crash and burn during the rest of the fall camp. But if he remains consistent in his development, we've got a real steady QB option for the team. Not spectacular mind you......but steady and confident....so far.

Stebo, if you saw the intensity and fire that Meager was playing with yesterday, you'd alter your comments somewhat. At one point I saw him grab Collins (a TE) and literally fling him toward where he was supposed to be.

So based on what I saw, I would suggest that Meager was demonstrating some leadership skills in his comments to the press by not pushing the panic button.

Good post....I definitely like hearing that Meager is stepping up some in the leadership department.

That said, I watched that Tx All-Star game and Tune was the best QB on the field. He had some hotshot top recruit playing infront of him that the coaches kept putting into the game---that kid did nothing....they'd put Tune in and he'd drive them straight down the field. For all the different abilities that each of our 3 QBs possess, none of them really move the chains with regularity. If Tune can do that, I hope he gets a shot.

QFT

This quote alone from Meager sums up why he is not a good field general.  Just reading the write-up made me sick to my stomach... either our defense has really gotten better or we really have digressed yet another year.  Either way, Meager should be furious at the Offense's performace (just looking and reading the numbers) and should not be "satisfied" that all is good in the neighborhood.

Bring on Phillips, Wilson, or Tune - Meager doesn't have that fire in him that we require.

Steve, that was just a quote taken out from a line of questions. Means nothing. It would be hard to find anyone on the team that logged more time in during the offseason anticipating the '06 campaign other than DM. After that 1st series, other than the QB/center exchange miscues DM moved the chains fairly consistently. His mid range passes are crisp and rope like. I expect big things from him this season.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

That said, I watched that Tx All-Star game and Tune was the best QB on the field.  He had some hotshot top recruit playing infront of him that the coaches kept putting into the game---that kid did nothing....they'd put Tune in and he'd drive them straight down the field.  For all the different abilities that each of our 3 QBs possess, none of them really move the chains with regularity.  If Tune can do that, I hope he gets a shot.

I watched the All-Star game and you're correct, Tune did a good job. But heaven help us if we must rely on a true freshman to lead our offense. All of these years back in 1A and I can only think of two QB's that have been effective-Scott Hall and Andrew Smith. Our recruiting ability has been suspect at the QB position and other positions for that matter. For a number of years, it seems like all we did was recruit Tight Ends or convert someone to a TE. Now that position is a concern. And no quality running back was recruited this year? North Texas had two freakin NCAA rushing title RB's within a 3 year span and we couldn't interest even one top HS recruit to play here? Something is wrong with this recruiting picture. mad.gif

North Texas had two freakin NCAA rushing title RB's within a 3 year span and we couldn't interest even one top HS recruit to play here? Something is wrong with this recruiting picture.

Um, nothing is wrong with that picture. That's exactly why a top RB wouldn't want to come here right now; because he knew he would sit. This next year we should be in really good shape to pick up some RB talent; as they will know that Jamario would be a senior.

Ask Texas about how many quarterback wanted to sit behind V. Young? None.

Freshman Kelvin Drake worked with the Mean Green’s first team in place of Rose and was one of a few bright spots named by UNT’s coaches.

I'm confused. We can't execute the Center/QB exchange, but then the center is singled out as being "one of a few bright spots."

Um, nothing is wrong with that picture.  That's exactly why a top RB wouldn't want to come here right now; because he knew he would sit.  This next year we should be in really good shape to pick up some RB talent; as they will know that Jamario would be a senior.

Ask Texas about how many quarterback wanted to sit behind V. Young?  None.

I think if you check UT has a couple of the QB's who were very highly sought after coming out of HS that were sitting behind Young, and at the time they signed they did not know he would turn pro early

I think it's great that there are 4 quarterback prospects for the MG with enough legitimate skills to provide food for "controversy".

When was the last time that happened at UNT? 

Again, that's a good "problem" to have.

--Maybe --but what kind of choice is Hell, Hades, Pergutory, OR the Underworld--- that is four choices but none of them are exactly ideal trips. If the center was a bright spot then the QBs must not be capable of holding a ball, because it kept falling to the ground....just shoot me....less painful.

I think if you check UT has a couple of the QB's who were very highly sought after coming out of HS that were sitting behind Young, and at the time they signed they did not know he would turn pro early

TheUT roster has three QBs listed as being shipped 1 Harris Fres. 2 McCoy Red Shirt Fres 3 Snead Fres so they must be sitting way behind Young

Edited by PHSCoach

North Texas had two freakin NCAA rushing title RB's within a 3 year span and we couldn't interest even one top HS recruit to play here?  Something is wrong with this recruiting picture. mad.gif

Kelvin Thompson, Mineral Wells HS. Dist 6-4A

..Thompson led the district in rushing and finished the season with 2,131 yards on 205 carries for an average of 10.3 yards per carry.

Thompson scored 31 touchdowns, threw three touchdown passes and amassed an amazing total of 2,761 all-purpose yards.

Thompson, who led the Rams in scoring with 194 points, had 57 tackles, three pass interceptions, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

I saw this kid play twice. Once during the regular season and once in the Texas Oil Bowl game. He's jamario fast. In the first game of the season last year against 5A Weatherford he ran for over 300 yards in a loss. He was committed to Iowa St but got in a numbers game there and the cyclones backed off on him. For whatever reason he ended up signing with West Texas A&M in February. Not sure why we didn't use one of those eggs(sholarships) we are always sitting on for him to come to Denton?

Rick

Kelvin Thompson, Mineral Wells HS. Dist 6-4A

I saw this kid play twice.  Once during the regular season and once in the Texas Oil Bowl game.  He's jamario fast.  In the first game of the season last year against 5A Weatherford he ran for over 300 yards in a loss.  He was committed to Iowa St but got in a numbers game there and the cyclones backed off on him.  For whatever reason he ended up signing with West Texas A&M in February.  Not sure why we didn't use one of those eggs(sholarships) we are always sitting on for him to come to Denton?

Rick

Question. If he just got caught up in the numbers game, why didn't anyone else go after him, 1A or 1AA ? Possibly other issues ?

Question. If he just got caught up in the numbers game, why didn't anyone else go after him, 1A or 1AA ? Possibly other issues ?

Possibly the same way no one went after Nick Foster, which is what happened here until his HS coach gave our Van Malone a phone call and sent some footage. It wasn't his recruiting area, but thankfully Malone had a contact at Allen HS before he left. dry.gif

Rick