Bomar at Houston?

BobFam

Yesterday one radio station reported that he filled out some scholarship paperwork here, but he IS NOT enrolled at UH yet. Today he was supposed to make the short trip up to SHSU to pay them a visit.

I have heard SHSU is more likely.

I have heard SHSU is more likely.

Actually, we've been hearing alot of the opposite, not that its specifically UH he's after but a Div-1A school. Because of the NCAA eligibility rules (from what I understand) he still has to sit out a year even if he transfers to a Div-1AA school like SHSU. So far the likely targets are UNT and UH both because of deep connections through his dad. Obviously reports have said that his dad called you guys first, but his dad also know our coach Art Briles very well from his HS coaching days at Stephenville.

With talent like his, it doesn't make much sense to transfer to a Div-1AA school if he still has to sit out a year because he wouldn't get the exposure he would at a Div-1A school.

There is still alot to be decided between Rhett Bomar, OU and the NCAA, but us coogs (most of us anyway) are optimistic that he would choose us. He did fill out scholarship paperwork here, which does not mean that he has made a decision by any means, but it does mean that he did like what he saw enough to keep us on the list of possible schools.

From Huntsville (SHSU) paper:

Published: August 10, 2006 01:19 am

Former Sooner Bomar interested in being a Bearkat

SHSU coach talks to quarterback during Huntsville visit

By Cody Stark

Assistant Sports Editor

There was big news swirling around the Sam Houston State athletic department Wednesday afternoon about the possibility of the Bearkats landing two Division I football transfers.

SHSU athletic director Bobby Williams confirmed that former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn both have expressed interest in transferring to play for the Bearkats.

“We are one of the schools they are considering transferring to,” Williams said in a phone interview Wednesday afternoon. “We can’t say much more than that at this point. We have to make sure that we go through the correct process the same way we have with other transfers in the past.”

Bomar, a sophomore, was dismissed by the Sooners after a team investigation revealed he had made up to $18,000 while working at a car dealership in Norman, Okla., and filed for 40-hour work weeks despite only working five hours a week. Quinn, Bomar’s roommate, was also dismissed.

Bomar and his father, Jerry, were seen in Huntsville on Tuesday and Wednesday meeting with SHSU athletic department personnel about possibly enrolling at SHSU.

Bearkats head coach Todd Whitten said he met with the Bomars.

“We have spoken with them,” Whitten said Wednesday. “There isn’t much we can say, but we have talked about the possibility (of him transferring to SHSU).”

Reports have linked Bomar to other universities over the last few days including Houston, North Texas, TCU and Texas State-San Marcos.

Bomar and his father were headed to Houston to meet with University of Houston head coach Art Briles on Tuesday night. In an interview with sportscaster Mark Berman of KRIV-TV in Houston, Jerry Bomar said his son could shine in the Cougars’ offensive system.

“Coach Briles has an outstanding offensive system,” Jerry Bomar told KRIV. “His scheme is quarterback-friendly and fits everything Rhett has done.”

The Cougars run a wide-open attack, spreading the field with multiple wide receivers. It is similar to the offense SHSU runs under Whitten and offensive coordinator James Ferguson.

Several Division I quarterbacks have transferred to SHSU and flourished under Whitten, Ferguson and former head coach Ron Randleman at SHSU. Chris Chaloupka transferred from Oklahoma State and was named Southland Conference Player of the Year in 1999 while Whitten was offensive coordinator for Randleman. Ferguson helped guide Josh McCown (SMU) in 2001 and Dustin Long (Texas A&M) in 2004 to SLC Player of the Year honors and into the Division I-AA playoffs.

Long also set an SLC single-season record for passing yards (4,588) and touchdowns (39) en route to leading the Kats into the semifinal round of the playoffs and a No. 4 season-ending ranking, both the best in school history.

Bomar faces the possibility of an NCAA suspension when and if he is reinstated. Several Texas A&M players were suspended for similar violations in 1993.

The problem facing Bomar if he decides to transfer to another Division I school is he will have to sit out a full season because of NCAA regulations. If he is suspended a few games this season, he will have to serve that suspension after sitting out a year, significantly cutting into his eligibility.

But if he chooses the I-AA route, the transfer rule is waived and he could play this year after he serves his suspension. Bomar then would have two full years of eligibility remaining.

“If they decide to transfer here, we will have to deal with the process of their violations and go with it from there,” Williams said. “We would have to address the different suspension possibilities. There are a lot of issues, and we will deal with it if it happens.”

Bomar was a top-rated recruit out of Grand Prairie High School. He took a red shirt in 2004, then started Oklahoma’s final 11 games last season and set a Sooner freshman passing record with 2,018-yards. He also threw 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, guiding Oklahoma to six wins over the final seven games, including a Holiday Bowl victory over Oregon.

Quinn, also a sophomore, started four games at guard for the Sooners in 2005.

FWIW from today's Star-Telegram

NOTES

North Texas intrigued by Bomar

STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

North Texas coaches have not ruled out any potential signing of former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar, but nothing will happen until Bomar's NCAA eligibility status is determined.

On Aug. 2, Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn were kicked off OU's team after both admitted to receiving overpayment for jobs they had at a car dealership in Norman.

The next day, UNT assistant Kenny Evans was contacted by Bruce Scott, an assistant coach to Bomar's father, Jerry Bomar, at Callisburg High School near Gainesville.

"They were just kind of trying to figure out what they were going to do," Evans said. "I talked to Jerry and basically gave him some advice. He asked if we'd be interested. I said yes, but, like everyone, we'd have to understand the sanctions they were going to impose."

UNT coach Darrell Dickey said any situation involving Bomar is out of UNT's hands until Bomar is officially released from OU and cleared with the NCAA as far as his admitted violation.

"I was unaware that Kenny had talked to [Jerry Bomar]," said Dickey, who knew Scott had contacted Evans. "When he mentioned it to me [on Tuesday], I said, hey, there's no hurry on our part. We have to let all this stuff play out and then determine what our position would be."

-- Troy Phillips

That article is a little misleading Bomar is a redshirt sophomore, so if he sat out this year at any school he would have two years remaining to play. The article makes it sound like he would not.

Now I know you will probably say that the article mentions the "possible" suspension. But according to a NY Times article today Bomar accepted about $2,500. If you compare that to the $18,000 of rent and what not accepted by Dwayne Jarrett, who is not serving any suspension, it seems as though RB will probably not have much of one to begin with.

Sources are saying that Bomar is talking with the NCAA about this suspention issue to help him choose between the two schools basically meaning no/small suspension =UH, large suspension=SHSU.

I said, hey, there's no hurry on our part. We have to let all this stuff play out and then determine what our position would be."

Thats the spirit! It's the top rated QB from a few years ago, that is intrested in NT. No rush DD! I understand waiting to see whats going on. But you should be banging down this kids door. It appears as though his father has respect faith in NT and it's coaches. So bust your ass and get these two kids here. YES THERE IS A HURRY!!!

Thats the spirit! It's the top rated QB from a few years ago, that is intrested in NT. No rush DD! I understand waiting to see whats going on. But you should be banging down this kids door. It appears as though his father has respect faith in NT and it's coaches. So bust your ass and get these two kids here. YES THERE IS A HURRY!!!

No, there's not!!! Accepting a player as visible as Bomar will probably require at least the blessing of RV, and maybe permission from higher up. Patterson just didn't decide that TCU wasn't interested, the university stepped.

And UNT should proceed with caution, neither OU nor the NCAA has decided what this kid's fate will be. So spending a lot of time courting him may be a futile effort.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him at UNT, but this one is very complicated and could take a lot of time.

Kind of the same reaction I had when I read that quote. A top rated player has contacted NT with interest! Bring him in for a visit to at least show you are interested. Maybe DD is doing something behind the scenes as part of his "under the radar" recruiting tactics. Maybe they instructed Bomar to arrive at the athletic center at 2am dressed in black. They secretely showed him around, handed him a pager, and said they would page him with a secret number at an appropriate time. rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

And UNT should proceed with caution, neither OU nor the NCAA has decided what this kid's fate will be.  So spending a lot of time courting him may be a futile effort.

You know what youre right, maybe we should just send him a letter then. These two kids could come in and turn around this program in so many ways. Yes, there are problems to overcome and wait out. Yes, we have to wait for the NCAA. Blah blah blah. If we landed Bomar and Quinn it could alter our fortunes for years to come. It seems as though he is intrested in 4 schools as of now. Tx. St., SHSU, UH and NT. That means we are on his short list. He has shown intrest as his father has already contaced NT. What do we have to lose. People bitch about DD not spending enough time going after high profile recruits. Well here it is, a high profile recruit knocking on our door. Are we gonna tell him "sorry do you think you could come back in 2 weeks". No let him in, lay down the red carpet, whatever. What do we have to lose exactly? You call it a futile effort but at least it's an effort. A sign that DD will do whatever it takes to win. That he is willing to put his neck on the line to get players in here who will win. A sign that DD does give a s**t about this program, and where it's headed.

Over? Did you say it's over? It ain't over till we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no, and it ain't over now! Cause when the going get tough....the tough get going! Now who's with me? aaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry that was my rally the troops speech

Edited by H-towngreen