Has Ticketmaster taken over our tickets?

stebo

I get an e-mail from Ticketnmaster about big local events - they try to sell me tickets to them. I only get one about once a month or so but I got one this morning... for... University of North Texas Mean Green vs SMU Mustangs. Have they taken over our single ticket sales or is this a one game deal? Click on the link below to check it out.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0C003CECDCB480B7

PS - I put in the best avavilable and the only tickets they offer are Sections A-C and Sections G-I... so Sections D, E, and F are not being sold... but it looks like an SMU fan can get tickets on the NT side if they go through Ticketmaster.

Good gosh, I hope Ticket "rip-off" Master hasn't taken over our ticket sales. Next thing you know, your $16 ticket will cost you $27. Why is it that I can buy just about anything in world on the internet and not get charged a "service fee", but TM gets away with charging $8 - $12 per ticket in fees? What value are they adding?

The price for the SMUt game is already higher than the other home games. The season tickets given out at the Cookout on Saturday had printed prices on them of $16 each for all games except the SMUt game = $25.

It was previously posted that because of ticket considerations given to our opponent, SMUT, that the game would be close to selling out. I know a LOT of North Texas fans will attend this game, but I don't see Pony fans coming by busloads to Denton. Mainly 50+ year old alums follow SMUt and they only go to home games.

How is a game "mostly" a sell-out. blink.gif  It either is or it isn't.

I'm assuming by your comment, that you never use the work "like" or the phrase "you know" excessively in your sentences.

I agree with the guy in the VW commercial who tells his friend (right before the crash, and I'm sorry he didn't get to hammer him more about it) " you might want to use the word "like" less in your sentences, something either happened or it didn't".

The price for the SMUt game is already higher than the other home games.  The season tickets given out at the Cookout on Saturday had printed prices on them of $16 each for all games except the SMUt game = $25. 

It was previously posted that because of ticket considerations given to our opponent, SMUT, that the game would be close to selling out.  I know a LOT of North Texas fans will attend this game, but I don't see Pony fans coming by busloads to Denton.  Mainly 50+ year old alums follow SMUt and they only go to home games.

So what the heck does this mean?? "ticket considerations??"....now we find out that they could be sitting on our side?! What exactly should we be expecting??....

So what the heck does this mean?? "ticket considerations??"....now we find out that they could be sitting on our side?! What exactly should we be expecting??....

I think that means that they know they will be selling a lot of tickets.

Everyone needs to prepare: the more success we have on the field, the more changes we will see in things like tickets. Someday a UNT student may actually have to pay to attend a UNT sproting event.

Someday a UNT student may actually have to pay to attend a UNT sproting event.

Personally, I think this should already be happening. I know that this might effect the attendance level, which is already low, but our financial goals would met quicker because of this. I'm only talking like a buck or two.

Would this effect our attendance that much?

Personally, I think this should already be happening.  I know that this might effect the attendance level, which is already low, but our financial goals would met quicker because of this.  I'm only talking like a buck or two.

Would this affect our attendance? Yes I think it would - students don't carry cash to games generally and I'm afraid there are too many that are only coming because it is "free".

Personally, I think this should already be happening.  I know that this might effect the attendance level, which is already low, but our financial goals would met quicker because of this.  I'm only talking like a buck or two.

Not if we had an entertaining product on the field.

Keep in mind that there was some discussion a few years ago about how requiring students to actually have their ID's scanned as they go thru the gate, might adversely effect the attendance.

I say scan their ID's AND have them pay a buck or two to get in the game.

Edited by SilverEagle

In essence, students do pay for games. We have an athletics fee, and while when you consider the total number of athletic games students get into students don't pay much, they still pay.

I think right now we shouldn't charge students for tickets. Speaking as a fairly recent grad, it was much easier to get friends to the game because it's free. I think Stan R is estimating a bit too low: probably 25-30% of students go to the games for the first time because it's free. Now, after they have an absolute blast at the game, they'll come back regardless, but it's that initial sell that we need.

In essence, students do pay for games. We have an athletics fee, and while when you consider the total number of athletic games students get into students don't pay much, they still pay.

Then how about other schols where the students pay for the athletic events twice, in an essence?

My point was that at some juncture the UNt student will have to fork out money to enjoy UNT athletics....like students at other schools.

Ask some aggie friends if they have trouble bringing friends to the games; at $65 per ticket. I don't think they do.

In 2004 the student fees were about $4,300,000.00 and the total ticket sales was about $600,000.00

the students are carring the load

If us students had to pay for tickets nobody will go to any event. College kids are poor!

I graduated in 2004 and had no money, but I could find the amount of money I'm talking about in the cushions of my couch. One or two dollars is all I'm talking about. Freshmen are coming from high school where it cost students $3-$5 to get in. What about all the other colleges that charge their students to pay to enter athletic events, aren't they poor too. If that amount of money keeps someone from entering the game they don't care about football and definitely aren't a fan of North Texas Football.

I know we need the attendance, but it's just hard for me to believe that a couple of bucks would keep that many students away.

As a current student, I rarely have cash on me, even though that's all the concession stands take. I make an effort to eat beforehand and somehow stroll in with at least one bottle of water in a pocket. If there was a secure ATM machine somewhere other than the Union and that gas station at NTB/Prairie that gave out $10s, you could consider charging since the means to acquire the needed cash would be available. If there isn't one around the entrance, do you think students will hike back to the Union for an ATM or just go back to their dorm room that is on the way? If anything, I would give each student their season's worth of "tickets" that they have to present at the gate, and if they lose them, then they have to pay $5 or so to get in. It gives the students some responsibility in keeping up with them.

I guess one good thing about making students pay would be that it conditions them to pay a bit more to sit on the shady side after they graduate. After this season, I go from "free" to $250+$90 or thereabouts so I can sit with my parents/group.

Whoops.  Spelling is assential. 

What percentage would you say come to the game because it's free?

It isn't spelling. Affect and effect are two different words. The difference between them is a bit tricky. Here's the usage explanation that dictionary.com provides:

Usage Note: Affect and effect have no senses in common. As a verb affect is most commonly used in the sense of “to influence” (how smoking affects health). Effect means “to bring about or execute”: layoffs designed to effect savings. Thus the sentence These measures may affect savings could imply that the measures may reduce savings that have already been realized, whereas These measures may effect savings implies that the measures will cause new savings to come about.