Mean Green Preview, Part 9

mad dog

Mean Green Preview, Part 9

Running Backs

Summary

Nearly two years have separated the Mean Green Nation from the freshman exploits of Jamario Thomas. These days, it is more likely to hear about his lingering hamstring injuries, his fluctuating weight, or whether he has lost a step due to either of the previous. However, in every game where Jamario had any meaningful playing time during his freshman year, he was a difference maker. He could not be stopped, only contained, and sometimes not even that, among BCS and Sun Belt competition alike. From that somewhat distant memory, it is hard to remember exactly what he meant to this team, to the program, and how he made the offense go. This year, though, he returns to claim the spotlight alone, and one of the top three questions of camp this August will be how #20 looks.

The 2006 running back corps for UNT is very much a one man show. Jamario Thomas, though known for his breakaway speed, is a back with tremendous power, balance, and agility. In the open field, he is tough to bring down, and the first guy will typically miss him. When that happens, there are not very many people who can catch him if he breaks it to the sideline. He is an unselfish player, humble, and hard working, though hardly quiet. Faithful practice goers will quickly note an engaging, mischievous sense of humor that belies the concise personality he puts on for the media. He is well liked and will be looked to for leadership this season.

The downside to having an RB as talented as Jamario comes with a different set of problems: namely that not very many backs, regardless of ability, will want to come to a school with a young feature player. Behind Jamario, there is very little depth. Deavin Cox, who played this spring at Running Back, is listed as a DB according to the athletics website, and might lend his talents to the secondary instead. James Mitchell, who is best remembered for his gutsy 2004 performance in the Mud Bowl against Arkansas State, is entering his senior season and will provide at least one viable option behind Thomas, though he does not provide the same gamebreaking element. Redshirt Freshman Evan Robertson and walkon Josh Maldonado will be in the mix for a 3rd string role, but both are developmental players who have their own hurdles to overcome before being able to fully contribute.

At fullback, the guy is Keronna Henderson. He has great power and pad height on his blocks and runs, and a notable question for two-a-days will be if he gets more playing time due to the lack of experience at Tight End. Can Mean Green fans expect to see more standard I-formations or 2-back Gun sets? Expect to hear more on that as the camp opens this Monday, August 7th, at 8:00 AM and 3:00 PM.

Players to Watch

Deavin Cox

Will he still be at Running Back? If so, will be able to provide quality depth behind Jamario?

James Mitchell

Will the workout warrior be a viable option behind Jamario?

*Projected Starters

Running Back – Jamario Thomas

As sure a starter as there is on this team. If he is healthy, we’ll at least have a chance in every game. He is a gamebreaking impact player that must be accounted for, and if NT can get anything going in the passing game, this has the potential to be as big a year for him as his record breaking freshman campaign.

Backup – Deavin Cox

Good speed, though not a burner. Good power, but not a bruiser. His greatest asset is his quickness and commitment to running his assignments. Won’t do a lot to hurt you.

Fullback – Keronna Henderson

Big bruising fullback might be more of an option with the question marks at tight end. Great power in his blocks, and will only get better with technique.

Impact Newcomer

Evan Robertson

The redshirt freshman is a small back with good speed and COD skills. Will he have added enough bulk to be at least a third down guy?

Sleeper

Josh Maldonado

Short, squatty walkon with great quickness and surprising power. Had a great spring and warranted at least a look this fall.

*Projected starters are who we think should start based on what a player has shown to us in practice and in games. We are not trying to guess the coaches’ picks, but rather who we’d pick if we were making out the depth chart.

I thought that Cox showed some pretty good moves at the beginning of spring. He then proceeded to spend the rest of the spring trying to prove that he could run over people. His favorite target for this seemed to be Mr. Cotton #24.

I would describe Evan Robertson's speed as "outstanding".

IMHO, Kerona Henderson needs some running plays. And I don't mean the first game or so of the season, and then nothing thereafter.

I think that Josh Maldonado could contribute on kick-offs.

I thought that Cox showed some pretty good moves at the beginning of spring. He then proceeded to spend the rest of the spring trying to prove that he could run over people. His favorite target for this seemed to be Mr. Cotton #24.

I would describe Evan Robertson's speed as "outstanding".

IMHO, Kerona Henderson needs some running plays. And I don't mean the first game or so of the season, and then nothing thereafter.

I think that Josh Maldonado could contribute on kick-offs.

Great new avatar, SE. Seems to suit your personality. I can just see you making that face when you make a sarcastic post... laugh.gif

As lousy a season as they were having last year at the time of the LSU game, coming off the pasting by La Tech the week before and all, Jamario playing hurt and all still managed 83 yards on 26 carries against the Tigers and to me played their best offensive game of the season that night.

With the fact that we have the best recieving corp in years and two experienced QB's who should be able to uitilize them to keep the defenses honest, I expect a big year from SPJMo. Of course the only question I have now is the O Line and how they fill Alexander's spot. We can't afford to lose anyone else from here on. Each August practice is going to be pins and needles for us.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

OHMYGOD!  ohmy.gif I completely forgot that I was going to run this decision by you before I went through with it................  DAMN! sad.gif

Now.....look at the avatar.....really look at it. dry.gif

Sorry. My bad. On second blush it doesn't look like a turtle. It looks like an angry turtle with a beak.

That is the perfect avatar for you Silver. In fact that is one of the best mascot images we have ever had. No wonder the bobbleheads that were made in that image in the 60's are so sought after today. The last one I saw sell on eBay went for over $1400. I saw one collectors comments a couple of years back say that next to a 50's era Roberto Clemente bobblehead, that 60's era style NTSU Scrappy bobblehead was considered to be one of the most sought after bobbleheads by collectors today. I've seen them sold by collectors from all over the country so far. I'm glad the lady that sold me mine didn't have a clue and sold it to me for only $7 back in '87. The wife tried to put mine away out of sight when I placed it in the china cabinet. Afterward she nearly crapped when she saw what they were going for on eBay and had to reluctantly put it back in it's rightfull place.

user posted image

Rick