UTEP announces new policy: Go to game or go home

Harry

Over on the TTech message board, I saw this article about TTech's road opponent UTEP. They've implemented a policy requiring tailgaters to either go to the game or go home. Interesting read. Of course, we'd probably have the problem of too many people opting for the go home option.

John Erfort / El Paso Times

El Paso Times

UTEP announced a new policy Friday that will require tailgaters, at the end of the first quarter, to get into the stadium -- or go home.

University of Texas at El Paso athletic director Bob Stull announced that the new tailgating policy calls for all tailgating for Miner home football games to end by the end of the first quarter.

The rule, which is similar to the tailgating policy of other NCAA Division 1 universities (including New Mexico and New Mexico State), is designed to get more people to buy tickets and attend the games.

After the first quarter, any fans still tailgating will be asked to use their tickets and enter the stadium or leave.

"If we had extravagant parking, it wouldn't be a problem," Stull said. "But the problem is that people with tickets can't get close to the stadium because the lots are taken up by people who are not going to the game.

"We want to take care of our ticketholders first and foremost. And we want to have as many parking spots available as possible for the people who are going to the games."

UTEP had just one sellout last year (51,500), for the homecoming game against Marshall. The Miners set a season home attendance record last year with an average of 47,899 fans per game.

But, the university wants to know, what if all the tailgaters had purchased tickets?

Finally, Stull cited concerns about fan safety.

"Another thing we're concerned about is the atmosphere and the safety of our fans," he said. "Some of those tailgates start early in the morning and go late into the night, and we had some incidents last year on campus that weren't pleasant. We want to make sure there's a good atmosphere around the stadium."

Stull also said he hoped this policy isn't taken the wrong way.

"We are not discouraging tailgating at all," he said. "We want people to have fun. Just go to the game, and after the game you can resume tailgating.

"We appreciate the type of enthusiasm we've developed around the games. That's what we've worked hard to get to. And we want our fans to have a great experience. We don't want to discourage people from having a good time. We just don't want to make it the party location for people who aren't going to the game."

Stull said that all fans will still be allowed to enter the lots (RVs must park in A-13 and must have a pass this year), but that the lots will be policed.

And there is one exception: Very large tailgates will be allowed leave one person behind to guard the group's belongings. Postgame tailgating will be allowed for one hour.

Season ticketholder Liz Parra of the East Side, who has been tailgating for 10 years and is part of a group of 20-25 people, said she thinks the new rule makes sense.

"I think it's good, but I think they need to go a step farther and ask for tickets (to get into the parking lots)," she said. "We tailgate on campus. If they would ask for tickets at the gate to the campus, that might help also. We have to get there by 10:30 or 11 a.m. (for night games) to get a spot. And oftentimes, it's hard even at that time because there's already a lot of people. A lot of students get in there and stay there and everyone joins them, and I don't know if they have tickets or not."

Parra admitted that in past years parking wasn't a problem.

The added inconvenience of the past few years, she admitted, isn't such a bad tradeoff for the team's success.

"You kind of forget about that when the moment arrives," she said. "We still enjoy it."

Asked how she thought other fans might react to the new policy, Parra said, "I don't know. I've always thought that most of the people had tickets and that's why they were there. I guess I was a little naive.

"But I don't think it will be that bad of a thing. I think it's a good thing."

John Erfort may be reached at jerfort@elpasotimes.com; 546-6164.

Over on the TTech message board, I saw this article about TTech's road opponent UTEP. They've implemented a policy requiring tailgaters to either go to the game or go home. Interesting read. Of course, we'd probably have the problem of too many people opting for the go home option.

John Erfort / El Paso Times

El Paso Times

UTEP announced a new policy Friday that will require tailgaters, at the end of the first quarter, to get into the stadium -- or go home.

University of Texas at El Paso athletic director Bob Stull announced that the new tailgating policy calls for all tailgating for Miner home football games to end by the end of the first quarter.

The rule, which is similar to the tailgating policy of other NCAA Division 1 universities (including New Mexico and New Mexico State), is designed to get more people to buy tickets and attend the games.

After the first quarter, any fans still tailgating will be asked to use their tickets and enter the stadium or leave.

"If we had extravagant parking, it wouldn't be a problem," Stull said. "But the problem is that people with tickets can't get close to the stadium because the lots are taken up by people who are not going to the game.

"We want to take care of our ticketholders first and foremost. And we want to have as many parking spots available as possible for the people who are going to the games."

UTEP had just one sellout last year (51,500), for the homecoming game against Marshall. The Miners set a season home attendance record last year with an average of 47,899 fans per game.

But, the university wants to know, what if all the tailgaters had purchased tickets?

Finally, Stull cited concerns about fan safety.

"Another thing we're concerned about is the atmosphere and the safety of our fans," he said. "Some of those tailgates start early in the morning and go late into the night, and we had some incidents last year on campus that weren't pleasant. We want to make sure there's a good atmosphere around the stadium."

Stull also said he hoped this policy isn't taken the wrong way.

"We are not discouraging tailgating at all," he said. "We want people to have fun. Just go to the game, and after the game you can resume tailgating.

"We appreciate the type of enthusiasm we've developed around the games. That's what we've worked hard to get to. And we want our fans to have a great experience. We don't want to discourage people from having a good time. We just don't want to make it the party location for people who aren't going to the game."

Stull said that all fans will still be allowed to enter the lots (RVs must park in A-13 and must have a pass this year), but that the lots will be policed.

And there is one exception: Very large tailgates will be allowed leave one person behind to guard the group's belongings. Postgame tailgating will be allowed for one hour.

Season ticketholder Liz Parra of the East Side, who has been tailgating for 10 years and is part of a group of 20-25 people, said she thinks the new rule makes sense.

"I think it's good, but I think they need to go a step farther and ask for tickets (to get into the parking lots)," she said. "We tailgate on campus. If they would ask for tickets at the gate to the campus, that might help also. We have to get there by 10:30 or 11 a.m. (for night games) to get a spot. And oftentimes, it's hard even at that time because there's already a lot of people. A lot of students get in there and stay there and everyone joins them, and I don't know if they have tickets or not."

Parra admitted that in past years parking wasn't a problem.

The added inconvenience of the past few years, she admitted, isn't such a bad tradeoff for the team's success.

"You kind of forget about that when the moment arrives," she said. "We still enjoy it."

Asked how she thought other fans might react to the new policy, Parra said, "I don't know. I've always thought that most of the people had tickets and that's why they were there. I guess I was a little naive.

"But I don't think it will be that bad of a thing. I think it's a good thing."

John Erfort may be reached at jerfort@elpasotimes.com; 546-6164.

Great idea!! Since they have to pay to park, they must have game tickets--make them use them. Also never again have a student vote on an athyletic fee-- same policy pay it or leave. Only when we take these stands will we be viewed as a true D-1 university. Let the sponges be on their way!!!

As Adler is quick to point out, these parking lot weenies do serve their purpose. I can't stand it any more than others, but we really really need anybody that will show up and add to the atmosphere.

It still bothers me though.

We just need to get a few ranchers to heard all the drunken fools who don't want to see the game into a big group and march them into the stadium at 1st quarter intermission, then have them sit behind the goal posts. Just dont have a go home clause. Either walk in freely or be marched in.

Do you remember what game day was like before RV and tailgating wasn't allowed???

Are you seriously suggesting that it is the parasites with no intention of going in, and not those of us who understand that tailgating is the warm up to actually watching the game, that has created the atmosphere?

the tailgate that Mad Hatter and I host typicly draws about 40 people. more for a big game. only about half of those people go into the game, but a few years ago it was only about 1 in 5. Having more people at the tailgate only enhances the game day atmosphere. according to estimates the UT tOSU game last year had about 350k at the pregame tailgate. they stadium only holds 110k. I dont think that any schools tailgate party moves directly into the staduim 30 minutes before game time. I know alot of people on this board dont understand it, but alot of people are just here for the party.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I have no problem with them remaining in the tailgating area for the entire game if they choose to do so. However, I would cordon off the tailgating areas and make them admissable by gameday ticket only. That way, they're counted even if they choose to remain outside.

This is not a unique problem. It happens everywhere. I've witnessed people in the tailgating areas during the game at LSU, OU, and Texas Tech and they have some of the more rabid fans.

Are you seriously suggesting that it is the parasites with no intention of going in, and not those of us who understand that tailgating is the warm up to actually watching the game, that has created the atmosphere?

Weellll. I agree with emmitt here. mostly. But I don't think the timing is right to implement this yet at NT. Maybe a variant of this. How about we hire about 5-6 NT "clowns" dressed as green clowns to run around like "showtime at the apollo" with green brooms and kind of play-sweep them toward the stadium?? Think that would embarrass them enough to attend the game? rolleyes.gif

How about we hire about 5-6 NT "clowns" dressed as green clowns to run around like "showtime at the apollo" with green brooms and kind of play-sweep them toward the stadium?? Think that would embarrass them enough to attend the game?  rolleyes.gif

That's a great idea laugh.giflaugh.gif

Guest GrayEagleOne

GreyEagle-It's my understanding that only tickets scanned at the gate is counted in the attendance figures.  A ticket bought and not used helps athletics, but not our "butts in seats" number. 

Right ?

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets ( and use them)  GO MEAN GREEN

greenjoe---that's the way it was but I believe that they changed it to ticket sales/actual attendance. Of course, there would have to be a scanning device at entrances along the perimeter for the students. Since they don't have tickets, their ID would have to be scanned to count.

No, but I am saying the more the merrier. These people definately add something to the atmosphere. But if I had my way all of them would go to the game.

I have no problem with them remaining in the tailgating area for the entire game if they choose to do so.  However, I would cordon off the tailgating areas and make them admissable by gameday ticket only.  That way, they're counted even if they choose to remain outside. 

This is not a unique problem.  It happens everywhere.  I've witnessed people in the tailgating areas during the game at LSU, OU, and Texas Tech and they have some of the more rabid fans.

One of the big problems UTEP is having is finding enough parking spaces for the people who are going in to the game. The way the Sun Bowl is carved into the mountain make the parking situation a little tricky as it is. What a hell of a problem to have!!

Wanna bet that UTEP will change that policy in 2008 when the Longhorns come rollng into town???? biggrin.gif

UTEP's policy should always be constant reminder of the dangers of tailgating on campus. You should avoid it at all costs if you can because University officials can always change the rules and conditions of tailgating at a moment's notice. For those making the Austin trip next month, you'll notice that about 95% of UT Tailgates are off campus. We do this for a reason biggrin.gif

One of the big problems UTEP is having is finding enough parking spaces for the people who are going in to the game. The way the Sun Bowl is carved into the mountain make the parking situation a little tricky as it is. What a hell of a problem to have!!

True EPE, and to think Utep's fans show up that well without a guaranteed 10 win season every year.

Rick

Why do y'all care so much about what other folks wanna do? If they want to stand outside and drink beer while you watch the game, what difference does that truly make to you?

My wife and kids have been to almost every tailgate for the last five years. They have never been to a game. Are they parasites or moochers?

Maybe they are, but I pay the bill.

And for those of you who believe that you have been taken advantage of by other tailgaters, here is a bit of advice:

Don't give anything away. No good deed goes unpunished. Always make sure to keep tabs on who owes you a "return freebie".

I don't think he meant that at all. But, I would certainly prefer to hang out with the 4 qtr. tailgate team, rather than someone with a pompous ass attitude that believes he created school spirit.

I don't think he meant that at all. But, I would certainly prefer to hang out with the 4 qtr. tailgate team, rather than someone with a pompous ass attitude that believes he created school spirit.

I'm wondering then why you go to Fouts to hang out, and drink beer in the first place. If you have no intention of going to the game (thereby providing the University with some much needed butts-in-the-seats numbers) then invite some friends (possibly some of the other people who have no intention of going into the game) over to to your house and cook out and drink beer in your back yard.

Of course, there would have to be a scanning device at entrances along the perimeter for the students.  Since they don't have tickets, their ID would have to be scanned to count.

Of course, that's exactly what they have over there. Last year, everyone had to update to the latest form of the ID, so I'm pretty sure the old ones no longer work/scan. They do the same at basketball games.

I'm wondering then why you go to Fouts to hang out, and drink beer in the first place. If you have no intention of going to the game (thereby providing the University with some much needed butts-in-the-seats numbers) then invite some friends (possibly some of the other people who have no intention of going into the game) over to to your house and cook out and drink beer in your back yard.

Okay, my statement was a little over the top and this may have thrown you off. A few beers tends to do that to me laugh.gif .

I never said that I don't go into the games. I have missed 3 games in the last 5 years. The only reason being that the drive from New Braunfels can sometimes be too much.

The point I was trying to make, in my own convoluted way, is why do you care who comes in and who doesn't? I would love for all of the people to come in, also.

Some people don't care about football. But, if you can at least lead the drunkard to the beer, they might drink. Presenting the tailgate as more than just football lures people that normally wouldn't even come close.

Hopefully, a fraction of these people will eventually come in. It is a lot more likely that they come in to the stadium if they are standing in the parking lot instead of my backyard.

Okay, my statement was a little over the top and this may have thrown you off. A few beers tends to do that to me laugh.gif .

I never said that I don't go into the games. I have missed 3 games in the last 5 years. The only reason being that the drive from New Braunfels can sometimes be too much.

The point I was trying to make, in my own convoluted way, is why do you care who comes in and who doesn't? I would love for all of the people to come in, also.

Some people don't care about football. But, if you can at least lead the drunkard to the beer, they might drink. Presenting the tailgate as more than just football lures people that normally wouldn't even come close.

Hopefully, a fraction of these people will eventually come in. It is a lot more likely that they come in to the stadium if they are standing in the parking lot instead of my backyard.

Ok, I thought that I answered that in my previous post. Because it raises the butt's-in-the-seats numbers for our University........ Every butt counts!*

Ok, extra points to you for using the word convoluted, .......and spelling it correctly. Especially if you had been drinking at the time. wink.gif

*Has a new football marketing slogan been born?