more fans expected

bigrobdsp

More NT fans expected

Shawn Edwards

Issue date: 7/27/06 Section: SPORTS

Football season is approaching and this year NT plans to draw a larger crowd than previous years. Fouts Field holds around 30,000 fans, yet the majority of home games are nowhere near capacity.

There have always been excuses for why attendance is low: that NT is a commuter school, that the Sun Belt is too small of a conference or that NT is more of an arts and music school.

"We appreciate the ones that do come and just hope we can continue to get people interested," said head coach Darrell Dickey.

The Sun Belt is a smaller conference, although there had been talk of moving into Conference USA a few years back. The Mean Green will see a C-USA team and area rival in its first home game against SMU.

NT only plays one nationally ranked team this season in Texas and, other than SMU, most students do not recognize the other opponents.

In a poll taken July 19 by the Daily, students were asked if they had no plans on attending a football game, plans to attend one game or plans on seeing several games. Twenty-five percent had no intention of seeing a game, 40 percent plan to see at least one game and 35 percent plan to see more than one.

Jaime Adams, director of promotions at NT, expects there to be a lot of excitement for the upcoming season.

"There will be a variety of new and exciting items that will bring students to the games this year," Adams said. "We will have live entertainment, food and giveaways. The Friday Night at Clark Park Pep Rally will take place the Friday night before every home game outside of Homecoming, which will stay with the tradition of the bonfire."

I couldn't help but notice this comment from a reader...

posted 7/26/06 @ 11:24 PM EST by an anonymous reader

Maybe if our football team started winning some games, more students might show up. We've got a few talented players, but the outcome of most games is the same. To me, UNT football is basically an embarrasment.

"There will be a variety of new and exciting items that will bring students to the games this year," Adams said. "We will have live entertainment, food and giveaways. The Friday Night at Clark Park Pep Rally will take place the Friday night before every home game outside of Homecoming, which will stay with the tradition of the bonfire."

I like the Friday Pep Rallies

I couldn't help but notice this comment from a reader...

posted 7/26/06 @ 11:24 PM EST by an anonymous reader

Maybe if our football team started winning some games, more students might show up. We've got a few talented players, but the outcome of most games is the same. To me, UNT football is basically an embarrasment.

Given that this person was apparently born last year and thus missed the previous years of success, I must commend their excellent language and motor skills.