Tulsa World article on Tim Patton

OldTimer

Patton taking lighter load to North Texas

By BARRY LEWIS World Sports Writer

7/26/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Tim Patton hasn't been eating many of his favorite foods since helping East Central win the Class 5A state football title last December.

"I do miss the chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, pork chops and cornbread," Patton said at the All-State football practice at Oral Roberts University on Tuesday. "But it's been worth it."

Patton anchored the Cardinals' defensive line at 310 pounds as a senior tackle. When he signed with North Texas in February, he was listed at 301 pounds. He reported to the All-State Games at 225 -- 85 pounds less.

"I saw him play against Bixby in the championship game and when I first saw him this week, I almost didn't recognize him," said East head coach Larry Crenshaw of Morris.

Patton's weight reduction was approved by North Texas.

"They (North Texas) wanted me lighter, and I do feel quicker," Patton said.

Patton, who is 6-foot-2, is projected to be used as a defensive end in college.

"He is a step quicker and will be able to do some things he couldn't do when he was heavier," East Central coach Travis Hill said. "Last January, he came in and wanted to know what he needed to do to lose the weight.

"We told him he needed to keep off all fried foods and fast foods. He also did a ton of running. He did this all on his own. All we did was counsel him and let him use our facilities."

Hill sees a bright future for Patton at North Texas.

"It's a tribute to his work level and determination," Hill said. "He took a lot of weight off. He might have gone overboard a little, but it's been good for him. He will eventually put some good weight back once he gets to North Texas.

"I think he'll be able to go there and immediately contribute."

I would bet he went overboard...and when he gets to NT will put in weght to build muscle and some of that weight back.

Patton taking lighter load to North Texas

By BARRY LEWIS World Sports Writer

7/26/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Tim Patton hasn't been eating many of his favorite foods since helping East Central win the Class 5A state football title last December.

"I do miss the chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, pork chops and cornbread," Patton said at the All-State football practice at Oral Roberts University on Tuesday. "But it's been worth it."

Patton anchored the Cardinals' defensive line at 310 pounds as a senior tackle. When he signed with North Texas in February, he was listed at 301 pounds. He reported to the All-State Games at 225 -- 85 pounds less.

"I saw him play against Bixby in the championship game and when I first saw him this week, I almost didn't recognize him," said East head coach Larry Crenshaw of Morris.

Patton's weight reduction was approved by North Texas.

"They (North Texas) wanted me lighter, and I do feel quicker," Patton said.

Patton, who is 6-foot-2, is projected to be used as a defensive end in college.

"He is a step quicker and will be able to do some things he couldn't do when he was heavier," East Central coach Travis Hill said. "Last January, he came in and wanted to know what he needed to do to lose the weight.

"We told him he needed to keep off all fried foods and fast foods. He also did a ton of running. He did this all on his own. All we did was counsel him and let him use our facilities."

Hill sees a bright future for Patton at North Texas.

"It's a tribute to his work level and determination," Hill said. "He took a lot of weight off. He might have gone overboard a little, but it's been good for him. He will eventually put some good weight back once he gets to North Texas.

"I think he'll be able to go there and immediately contribute." 

I would bet he went overboard...and when he gets to NT will put in weght to build muscle and some of that weight back.

Was there consensus that he might contribute this year as a true Freshman and if so does such a drastic weight reduction nullify that contribution?

This is not good in my opinion. I don't think he can play at 225 this season, and it will be hard for him to get to the weight he will need to get back to inorder to contribute this year.

NOT GOOD! mad.gif

I like the dedication to drop some weight, but couldn't someone talk to him and say Whoa! Slow down there buddy, take it easy on the weight loss you are not playing HB

I know it's in black and white...but is it possible that they meant he lost 25 pounds to get down to 285?  285 sounds like a reasonable weight to play D-end at in a 3-4...but 225 would make him one of our lightest d-ends.

My first thought was that it was a mistake as well. Perhaps something is misunderstood here.

Feb.= 301 July= 225

Losing 17 lbs/month is NOT healthy. I question if it is even possible for an 18 year old. (exceptions: gastric bypass, cancer, severe obesity then diet) ..............I am calling BS on this.

Edited by Zeke

What the F**K?!? I hope this isnt true.Like yall said he was supposed to help out this year. 85 lbs in 5 months??? I know it's printed but thats alot of weight. And why would the coaches want him to move to DE after he appeared to be so dominant at DT, a spot where we are so thin.

On matters like this we need to refer to the boards elders, Harry, Illuvious. What do you know about this?

Great...I just showed this to my wife. She told me I should have NO excuses not to lose at least 10 pounds by August 1st! sad.gif

Bewarned my fellow married men...a new bar has been set. Thanks, Tim, for blowing the curve... mad.gif

Here is the response I recieved from Barry Lewis, I asked him if the amount of wieght was correct, and if he had his weight loss monitored.

That is correct, he lost 85 pounds in six-to-seven months. He looks

good and he will put some of it back on. He was closely supervised. As

his coach said, he might have gone overboard, but he is doing well in

practice and we will see how he fares in the game on Friday.

That is still a tremendous amount of weight to lose.

Great, our star recruit is a 225lb. defensive lineman. I don't think that even Booger could of lost that much weight without slicing off a large chunk of muscle. If it's true, he must of been all blubber in high school. I was kind of hoping that he would start out as our #3 guy at noseguard as a true freshman. Hope he's fast with good hands. Sounds like a FB or LB to me.

Great, our star recruit is a 225lb. defensive lineman. I don't think that even Booger could of lost that much weight without slicing off a large chunk of muscle. If it's true, he must of been all blubber in high school. I was kind of hoping that he would start out as our #3 guy at noseguard as a true freshman. Hope he's fast with good hands. Sounds like a FB or LB to me.

yep. Let's see how much muscle he puts back on. If he can get up to 250 of pure muscle then I guess he could be a star DE, but does he have the speed?

This is not good in my opinion.  I don't think he can play at 225 this season, and it will be hard for him to get to the weight he will need to get back to inorder to contribute this year.

NOT GOOD! mad.gif

I like the dedication to drop some weight, but couldn't someone talk to him and say Whoa! Slow down there buddy, take it easy on the weight loss you are not playing HB

Totally agree. Now we have another undersized D-Lineman.