Mean Green to play on TV 3 times

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...six.662665.html

UNT places six on All-SBC team

Mean Green to play on TV 3 times

09:08 AM CDT on Tuesday, July 25, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

NEW ORLEANS — Jamario Thomas received a big vote of confidence on Monday during the opening session of the Sun Belt Conference’s annual media days.

The North Texas junior was one of two running backs to be named to the Preseason All-Sun Belt Team. That wouldn’t have been all that surprising a year ago, but seemed a little like an upset after Thomas suffered though an injury-plagued sophomore season.

Thomas won the national rushing title in 2004 before a hamstring injury hampered him in a campaign in which he rushed for just 361 yards while spitting time with senior Patrick Cobbs last season.

Thomas averaged 180.1 yards a game as a freshman.

“There is no question Jamario is ready to go,” UNT coach Darrell Dickey said. “Last year two things hurt him. He was not as in as good a shape as he needed to be coming into camp and he didn’t know how it would go with him and Patrick. Now he knows he is going to carry the load unless somebody else really comes on or his play falls off.

“Last year he was frustrated. He is very hungry and wants to put the most into the season so he can to get the most out of it.”

Thomas was one of six UNT players selected to the team, which had a decidedly green tint, despite the Mean Green’s struggles last season during a 2-9 campaign.

Wide receiver Johnny Quinn, offensive lineman Dylan Lineberry, defensive lineman Jeremiah Chapman, linebacker Phillip Graves and defensive back Aaron Weathers all joined Thomas on the team.

No other team had more than four players selected.

“It’s definitely an honor to get that preseason respect, but that stuff doesn’t matter,” Quinn said.

Thomas was the only player out of UNT’s six preseason All-Sun Belt selections who was not either a first- or second-team all-conference pick at the end of last season.

“The preseason all-conference teams are a reflection of what these kids have done in the past and the respect they have in this league,” Dickey said. “What counts is how they perform this year and if they are on the team after the season.”

While UNT had more players named to the team that any other school, Louisiana-Lafayette quarterback Jerry Babb and Florida International linebacker Keyonvis Bouie took home top honors. Babb was the Preseason Offensive Player of the Year, while Bouie was the Defensive Player of the Year.

Babb helped lead UL-Lafayette to a share of the conference title last season when Bouie finished with 118 tackles, including 11 for losses of 26 yards.

UNT lands three TV games

UNT’s season-opener at Texas on Sept. 2 will be carried by Fox Sports Network, highlighting a slate of three Mean Green games that will be broadcast.

UNT’s home game with Middle Tennessee (Sept. 30) and the Mean Green’s game at Arkansas State (Oct. 21) will be shown on ESPN Regional. Comcast Charter Sports Southeast plans to carry UNT’s home games against Florida International (Oct. 7) and Florida Atlantic (Nov. 18) and its game at Troy (Oct. 28) in the station’s Atlanta-based market.

Larry Haber of CSS said there is a possibility those games could be picked up by a station in the Dallas area.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com .

Will the opener be seen regionally, or will we be able to see it on the East Coast?

It will be on Fox Sports Southwest, which probably isn't available up there in the DC area--unless you have a big 'ol cable package, or DirecTV, etc. So yeah, it'll be regional at least at this point.

I'd hit the sports bar for this one, because I can almost guarantee they'll have it on up there.

Edited by LongJim

It will be on Fox Sports Southwest, which probably isn't available up there in the DC area--unless you have a big 'ol cable package, or DirecTV, etc.  So yeah, it'll be regional at least at this point.

I'd hit the sports bar for this one, because I can almost guarantee they'll have it on up there.

Are you sure ? FSN (Fox Sports Network) usually indicates a national broadcast. Beleive UNT/UT is the first game of a double header followed by La tech/Nebraska.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Are you sure ?  FSN (Fox Sports Network) usually indicates a national broadcast. Beleive UNT/UT is the first game of a double header followed by La tech/Nebraska.

MG61,

You may be right. I'm not positive about the UT/UNT game, but the broadcast of the UT/ULL game last year had the same info: "FSN", which was limited to FSN-Southwest, as was the UT/Rice game. Both were regional broadcasts.

If I hear definitely, I'll post back.

It will be on Fox Sports Southwest, which probably isn't available up there in the DC area--unless you have a big 'ol cable package, or DirecTV, etc.  So yeah, it'll be regional at least at this point.

Actually, Charter has Fox Sports Southwest up here, since we're in the southwest area. We get Astros games if FSNSW doesn't have the Rangers scheduled. There is the ESPN Regional that was pay-per-view, I think, and maybe FSN did the same. But do you really think that FSN is going to limit the entire SW from watching the National Champs' first game?

MG61,

You may be right.  I'm not positive about the UT/UNT game, but the broadcast of the UT/ULL game last year had the same info:  "FSN", which was limited to FSN-Southwest, as was the UT/Rice game.  Both were regional broadcasts.

If I hear definitely, I'll post back.

It wasn't too regional....I had the UT/ULL game in Los Angeles too.

I happen too have big 'ol cable package, so hopefully I'll get it.