Some names I noticed on the roster

Harry

Germain Dawson - Dawson is a sophomore reserve walk-on linebacker from Rockdale. He's listed at 6-1, 207 but he may be bigger than that. He started on the kickoff coverage team as a true freshman last year and has some pretty serious speed and isn't afraid to lay the lumber. Definately a guy to keep an eye on this season.

Chris Eidd - 6-3, 306 - I met him at the GMG Bowl last Spring and he's lighter than 306. He redshirted last season as a walk-on and comes from a very strong Euless Trinity program. I was impressed with his knowledge of the game. He has good size and could turn out to be a gem.

Richard Leary - 6-2, 200 - Leary tranferred in from Blinn JC and has been injured throughout last year, missing the season and all spring with some type of leg injury. He might be a candidate to help out at safety or outside linebacker if healthy.

Steven Prince - 6-2, 205 QB transfer from Kilgore that was J-Mo's teammate. Prince has a decent arm and showed some good things before he was injured in the Spring.

Cass Starks - 6-1, 205 - Starks (Denton Ryan) is a big physical athlete that has just struggled to learn the system. Could 2006 be his year at safety?

Ronnie Hull - 6-3, 250 - Hull (Fort Bend) is a tight end that has battled injuries to get back on the field. He has shown sparks at times and may provide the most physical presence we have at that position.

Josh Maldanado - 5-5, 173 a running back from Sachse appears to have made the cut as a walk-on this Fall. Very explosive runner that is fun to watch.

Bryan Glass - 6-0, 277 - The Paris product redshirted last year and battled back problems. When he is healthy he is pretty nasty although undersized. They would love to see him provide depth at center.

Ryan Davenport - 6-2, 248 from Fredricksburg transfer from Air Force - Davenport has a pretty solid start last year on special teams and then struggled in the spring at linebacker. The roster has him listed at fullback this year and he will battle Karonna Henderson for time. With his size and speed he could blossom there.

WR - Guy Fernandez - 6-5, 198 - Possibly one of the most gifted players on the team from a raw athletic standpoint. Tall, athletic and can run like the wind. He's a junior now and this is probably his last chance to shine. He will have to do it with a plethora of quality wide receivers in front of him.

WR - Casey Fitzgerald - 5-11, 174 - Red Oak product reminds me of Troy Redwine during practice at times. More polished than Fernandez but stuck in the same long line for playing time.

LB/DE Lawrence Brown 6-3, 199 - athletic Northshore product struggled mightily in his first two years here but has stuck with it and is improving. Perhaps the 3-4 will give him a new opportunity.

? Chase Pistole 6-2, 255 - Listed at DE on the roster. Huge bust last season as he really was undersized and overmatched at DT. I sometimes wonder if he wouldn't be a better fit on the offensive line although his weight would probably be an issue. The guy has 2-years left of eligibility and needs to find a home.

Ryan Davenport - 6-2, 248 from Fredricksburg transfer from Air Force -  The roster has him listed at fullback this year and he will battle Karonna Henderson for time.  With his size and speed he could blossom there.

So they will be battling for one play a game? I just don't understand why we didn't use Henderson more last year. He created holes with his physical play and appeared to be much needed given our line troubles last year...

Richard Leary - 6-2, 200 - Leary tranferred in from Blinn JC and has been injured throughout last year, missing the season and all spring with some type of leg injury.  He might be a candidate to help out at safety or outside linebacker if healthy.

I've met Richard - taught him the fight song when he first transferred. You want to talk about an attitude and a desire to win.... That boy has enough energy and hunger for the W to feed the whole team. I'd love to see him out there leading by example.

During the spring, I didn't notice that Davenport was particulary fast. I'm a bit surprised that they're trying him at FB, since they didn't run him there during the spring.

I noticed that James Thokey 6' X 215 (Dallas First Baptist Academy/Southern Nazarene College) is still on the roster. He told me that he transferred with the anticipation of playing safety, but that the coaching staff moved him to FB. That's where he played during the spring.

I noticed that they assigned jersey #9 to Adam Burnett, DB Everman.

I also noticed that Tim Patton was assigned jersey #52 and that Esteban Santiago was assigned jersey #77. Both are listed as DT's

I also found it rather interesting that fresham recruit Chris Neal from Kaufman was assigned jersey #34 and listed as PLAYER. Is that a new position, or is it the coachs' pre-camp assessment.

Hmmm, Joshua Maldonado made the team. Imagine that. rolleyes.gif

Edited by SilverEagle

Hmmm,  Joshua Maldonado made the team. Imagine that. rolleyes.gif

The kid is some fighter... and you've been in his corner from day one, Bill. I admit I didnt think he would make this team, but you backed him. I dont know what real contribution he can make at that size other than special teams, but he never quits and battles until the whistle...no doubt.

If Maldonado ever gets in a game at RB and scores, he should run into the stands and acknowledge you!!!

(I hear the coaches already do that???)

GMG!!! biggrin.gif

I still believe that Santiago will end up on the O-line. His senior year he was H.M. All-State on o-line.

Don't think so. From his comments when he was recruited. I think he'll be a big-time player on the D-Line.

Germain Dawson - Dawson is a sophomore reserve walk-on linebacker from Rockdale.  He's listed at 6-1, 207 but he may be bigger than that.  He started on the kickoff coverage team as a true freshman last year and has some pretty serious speed and isn't afraid to lay the lumber.  Definately a guy to keep an eye on this season.

One of the few listed above to make the spring 2-deep. Looks like he's taking the Chris Hurd route from walk-on to special teams terror to ... all-SBC?