Sun Belt Unit Rankings

MeanGreen61

If our O-line has really improved to the 3rd best unit in the conference and our special teams perform as advertised, we'll be in the race until the end. I'm a little skeptical about the line.

I do think the D-Backs will be much improved and in the top half of the league. I can understand why they ranked us last, based on last year.

Like the site, especially the fact that they have SMU ranked last or next to last in half of the unit categories. But what does it say about their ability to assess talent when their Big XII QB rankings list an inexperienced Texas Tech QB #1 and a QB that has never taken a college snap at Texas ranked #4??

UT will turn out to be like OU last year. I just hope we can be the TCU of UT. As for TT look at what they have done with the last 4 unexperienced QBs in that system. No matter what TT and QBs just agree.

As for our QB ranking it will all come down to who is QB. Phillips should be the starter after what he did in games last year. He has earned the right to start and should against UT. What I have seen of Woody is nice but its not the kind of QB we need to open up or offense and neither is Meager. Will running the option get 9 out of the box? No. What about the QB sneak? No. We need a pure pocket passing QB that will punish defenses for putting 9 in the box against J-Mo or every game will be a repeat of Tulsa, USM, Memphis, OU, UT (the last 2 times), etc. Any team with decent corners, not even good ones, can beat us right now. Yes yes JQ can burn them, but until we have a QB that can reliably get the ball in JQs hands we won't win the games that really matter. I can't say that Phillips will end up being that guy either, but when he has come in he has opened up with passes not runs and has made defenses pay for cheating up to J-Mo.

But back to the original topic... I like the rankings for the most part though I think we should have been #1 in RBs and LBers unless that guy from AkSt got back on the team and is in shape and even then its close. I'm guessing the reason Troy is ahead of us on Special Teams is the solid punter and kicker though it would be hard to believe they are better on coverage.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz