SMU vs. UNT- Class Warfare?

DallasGreen

I think most people on here want to have a problem with SMU more than anything else. You run into one student or a few alums and it becomes a sweeping generalization.  I am much more the typical SMU alum (and student while I was there) than these people y'all talk about.  Making these sweeping generalizations about SMU is the exact same thing that you whine and complain about SMUers doing to everyone that graduates from UNT.

Maybe these sweeping generalizations come from the overwhelming amount of opinions expressed by your fellow SMU alumni? Don't blame others for your reputation. Here are examples of the "Class" demonstrated by the SMU'ers on your own board? When faced with this type of "class" can you blame anyone for have a less than stellar opinion of SMU?

Quotes from the SMU board:

"Playing UNT or any Sun Belt school is no better than playing a Div. 1-AA school like SHSU. "

"Some of them (UNT fans) are predicting Ws, others are realistically predicting Ls."

" UNT was scheduled to give Bennett a shot at a winning season..."

"Gotta tell ya', NTSU is not even a blip on my radar screen. They might as well be ETSU or maybe SW Missouri State for all I care."

"So who else is excited about the ride up to Denton for this fierce rivally and the traditional awarding of the "Golden A$$ Whip" that seems to be the prize of NTSU every time we play them."

"North Texas is the little kid in the neighborhood that nobody wants to play with. He is annoying and just not fun to be around all the time. They'd give anything to be included regularly with neighbors SMU and TCU. See Texas Tech with ut and aTm. But I think a lot of the hate stems from how ridiculous they are. That whole Matt Simon parking lot diatribe pointed out how comical and ridiculous thier inferiority complex really is. "

"Having a rivalry with UNT is like having a rivalry with your gardner [sIC]. It just isn't going to happen. "

"If we lose to the gardner [sIC], it doesn't make them a rival, it just gives the gardner [sIC] reason to go and get drunk that night and when he wakes up, he's still a gardner.[sIC]"

In response to a post correcting the mis-spelling of gardener:

"Great y'all finally lured over the spelling-bee director from the teacher's college."

"Yeah, he's a sharp wit that guy. NTSU must be very proud."

"You always know how to spell what you do for a living."

"I flew by that NTSU website now that I know there is one just to see what all the hubbub was about, and some dude was whining about how the folks at SMU don't respect us and the only way to win respect was to kick their collective @sses. I couldn't respond there obviously, but I wanted to tell him we still wouldn't respect them if they did." ---(FYI, it was me who posted they don't respect us...for obvious reasons)

"NTSU sucks and is full of stupids that don't know how to pop a collar."

"They're ugly and their mothers dress them funny!"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe these sweeping generalizations come from the overwhelming amount of opinions expressed by your fellow SMU alumni?  Don't blame others for your reputation.  Here are examples of the "Class" demonstrated by the SMU'ers on your own board?  When faced with this type of "class" can you blame anyone for have a less than stellar opinion of SMU?

Quotes from the SMU board:

"Playing UNT or any Sun Belt school is no better than playing a Div. 1-AA school like SHSU. "

"Some of them (UNT fans) are predicting Ws, others are realistically predicting Ls."

" UNT was scheduled to give Bennett a shot at a winning season..."

"Gotta tell ya', NTSU is not even a blip on my radar screen. They might as well be ETSU or maybe SW Missouri State for all I care."

"So who else is excited about the ride up to Denton for this fierce rivally and the traditional awarding of the "Golden A$$ Whip" that seems to be the prize of NTSU every time we play them."

"North Texas is the little kid in the neighborhood that nobody wants to play with. He is annoying and just not fun to be around all the time. They'd give anything to be included regularly with neighbors SMU and TCU. See Texas Tech with ut and aTm. But I think a lot of the hate stems from how ridiculous they are. That whole Matt Simon parking lot diatribe pointed out how comical and ridiculous thier inferiority complex really is. "

"Having a rivalry with UNT is like having a rivalry with your gardner [sIC]. It just isn't going to happen. "

"If we lose to the gardner [sIC], it doesn't make them a rival, it just gives the gardner [sIC] reason to go and get drunk that night and when he wakes up, he's still a gardner.[sIC]"

In response to a post correcting the mis-spelling of gardener:

"Great y'all finally lured over the spelling-bee director from the teacher's college."

"Yeah, he's a sharp wit that guy. NTSU must be very proud."

"You always know how to spell what you do for a living."

"I flew by that NTSU website now that I know there is one just to see what all the hubbub was about, and some dude was whining about how the folks at SMU don't respect us and the only way to win respect was to kick their collective @sses. I couldn't respond there obviously, but I wanted to tell him we still wouldn't respect them if they did."    ---(FYI,  it was me who posted they don't respect us...for obvious reasons)

"NTSU sucks and is full of stupids that don't know how to pop a collar."

"They're ugly and their mothers dress them funny!"

DAMN!!!! Why'd you have to go and post all that and get me pissed off again??? I wasn't planning on reading that crap again until mid-August.

Another example of the 'class' demonstrated by SMU posters on their board:

"Wouldn't you be fired up about this game if you had to live in Denton? It's like Waco, except that if you head toward Waco, at least you have the option of driving past it and reaching an actual city. Going to Denton is like going to jail - you only go there if you have to, there's nothing good about being there, and you can't wait to get the hell out of there."

Another example of the 'class' demonstrated by SMU posters on their board:

"Wouldn't you be fired up about this game if you had to live in Denton? It's like Waco, except that if you head toward Waco, at least you have the option of driving past it and reaching an actual city. Going to Denton is like going to jail - you only go there if you have to, there's nothing good about being there, and you can't wait to get the hell out of there."

Thanks Baby Arm-- facts hurt those who are defending the undefendable. Your posts just proved the whole point of this thread and in their own words. To ALL the horse huggers on this board, I would say if you can't show up with a little NT Pride for this one you might have your pulse checked!! Some Miserable University vs. the grunts from UNT-- It's NOT just a football game it's ALL OUT WARFARE!!!

By the way I do regret using the term "blue collar" at the beginning of this thread, I meant no disrespect to our students or successful alumni ( of which there are many--all self made individuals), and I feel the term was taken out of context by many. I was more referring to the great number of our students who are the first in their family to go to college, and their hard working parents who help them along the way to have that education and a better life. It is no secret that in excess of 70% of our students accept financial aid, just walk accross our campus and then take a trip to " Biff & Buffy's Home down on Mockingbird Lane" and tell me there is no difference. You and I chose UNT because the majority are real world people not the pompus, arrogant bunch that aren't even representative of their own City of Dallas, but they will always look down on others whom they feel are inferior to them ( by the way Quoner, I don't feel inferior no matter what your shrink has told you). There is one way to strike a blow for all those dissed by these "competitors" for SOOOO many years. KICK THE HORSES' AS_ES ON SEPTEMBER 9TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile.gif

You and I chose UNT because the majority are real world people not the pompus, arrogant bunch that aren't even representative of their own City of Dallas, but they will always look down on others whom they feel are inferior to them ( by the way Quoner, I don't feel inferior no matter what your shrink has told you). There is one way to strike a blow for all those dissed by these "competitors" for  SOOOO many years. KICK THE HORSES' AS_ES ON SEPTEMBER 9TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile.gif

HAHAHA! Thank you - and thanks for the term horse hugger - I was looking for some new innuendo that wouldn't get banned.

I obviously stated I didn't want to win the game and all SMU people are great - not that the 2 posting on our board have been classy about everything so far.

I obviously said you can generalize away about SMU people from your middle mgmt job as you resent away anyone who ever had any privilege. I hate snobs too - but they are everywhere. I met more than my share of great people at NT - but also have a laundry list of douche bags here as well. I got to room with a few of them.

I obviously stated I don't want to win this game or beat SMU. Let me highlight that again.

Want me to meet you before the game, get the artillery together, and lob grenades at beamers? Maybe we could launch rockets at their campus? I'm up for whatever. The postings of the 10 fans of SMU football have convinced me that this is war!!! WAR!

This is the most important game ever - so I have a plan of action.

1) We start an internment camp and kidnap as many SMU fans and players as possible. We give them no trial, torture them, read them excerpts of our MG history, and read fake versions of their fight song and alma mater - as well as make them hug horses.

2) We attack Gerald Ford and dispose him from his remaining power. We will make a deck of cards - their coach is obviously the ace of spades. He must be destroyed first - cut the head of the snake I always say.

3) We sanction Mockingbird and cut off all supplies of whatever the crap Denton exports (Patriot cigs, beer, pot stank, Bowling for Soup CDs, good food, etc.)

4) We impose democracy on whoever is left behind, allowing them to vote and set up a new government, leaving troops to deal with the khaki short DMB-hadist who will continue using their car stereos to spread Dave Matthew's extremist message of relaxing crap. Ants Marching = A Call to ARMS!!!!

5) Finally, when it is over and democracy is accepted, we annex their homes, sell them, and use the money for a new stadium - made of white collar human heads and steel!!! Those homes are a precious natural resource and need to be liberated first.

Only when this is done will we win this war and take are rightful place at number 94 in the week 3 football polls at 1-1.

BTW - their posters "smack talk" has to be the gayest collection of noise I have ever seen - and I once went to a shouting contest on Oak Lawn. blink.gif

Edited by Quoner

Quoner I don't know what to say.  Honestly I'm speechless.  laugh.gif

Torcher?  I'm guessing that is some sort of torture practiced by burning one's toenails off with a welding torch?  unsure.gif

It was a passionate rant - things become phonetic. I now understand how playmaker's mind works.

WAR!!!!!

Class wars? Personally, I resent that comparison.

My brother attends SMU. I attended North Texas. Big deal. Our parents income is irrelevant, as is this thread.

....Income is not really an issue.... it is all about attitude not actually money.... It is not exactly a school of the "rich" but of people who think they are.

....NT is blue collar??? I knew a lot of extremely wealthy folks when I was at NT... It is probably true that we have more people working our way through school than they do ... but the real comparison should be 10 years after graduation. Besides a lot of somewhat blue collar folks I know are far from poor.... ever hear of ranching and the oil business?

....Income is not really an issue.... it is all about attitude not actually money.... It is not exactly a school of the "rich" but of people who think they are.   

....NT is blue collar???  I knew a lot of extremely wealthy folks when I was at NT... It is probably true that we have more people working our way through school than they do ... but the real comparison should be 10 years after graduation.  Besides a lot of somewhat blue collar folks I know are far from poor.... ever hear of ranching and the oil business?

NTSU is blue collar by attitude -- especially when you have a bunch of jackasses running around ranting about how it's class warfare. That implicates NTSU as lower class; you can't have your cake and eat it too.

NTSU is blue collar by attitude -- especially when you have a bunch of jackasses running around ranting about how it's class warfare. That implicates NTSU as lower class; you can't have your cake and eat it too.

--Proof:

---That post indicates the typical "SMU lack of class and respect". I suspect you really do know the name of North Texas but you insist on being disrepectful..... either that or SMU folks are just plain ignorant of what is going on away from the SMU campus... Could be either I suppose..

----I guess you may be correct, we are a different class, we are in one that shows some respect for others and doesn't think the world revolves around ourselves....

----That comment demonstrats exactly why we outsiders (not SMU-types) are not very thrilled with those from SMU. Thanks for the demonstration this time.... it proves a point.

--- Some on this board do not understand why some of us really want to defeat SMU (their attitude) more than UT. I would "like" to defeat UT but I really would "love" to defeat SMU because of their attitudes toward all outsiders (not just us).

---"We are cleaning up the program." quote: SMU alum, Gov. Bill Clements ..just prior to SMU being kicked out of NCAA football and even more violations and disrespectfulness of NCAA rules.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Theres alot of conspiracy theories going on around the internet so I thought I should share mine with you all. SMU actually has hired Lee Jackson to sabotage our football program to make sure the ponies who haven't been respected in football since the 1980's can once again get the upper grasp in the metroplex. They also pay off employers to not hire us, payed off CUSA to not let us in and told them to blaim it on lousy facilities/no baseball team.

I just think the whole argument is stupid. College kids are college kids. The kids that go to SMU aren't rich, their parents are. So what they do with their college degree after their 4 years is all that matters. Yes, some get handed things over or live off trusts, but I bet there are kids at UNT that do the same. Probably the same amount of kids, the percentage is just higher at SMU b/c it only has 6,200 undergrad students. Are SMU students given "better" opportunities due to their location inside the city and the tight-knit alumni base and having less people competing for jobs due to the school's size? Yeah... but that doesn't mean all students take advantage of those opportunities. And the ones that don't use the advantages to get ahead should be bitter.. b/c their parents wasted $160,000 for them to go to SMU.

My whole family (great great grandparents down) has gone to a 3rd-tier state school (Ole Miss) and they've all done just fine. In fact, the Ole Miss alumni network is probably tighter in the South East than Vandy and Duke's alumni bases. It doesn't matter how prestigious of a school you go to, it's the pride and power the alumni networking opportunities provide for its graduates. Many people on here have said that UNT alums just don't have the school pride. While SMU football has sucked, academically SMU is a tight-knit alum group in the work-force.

And while I enjoy posting on sports message boards, I would not call people that post on Sports Message Boards typical alumni or fans of most universities. If that was the case, y'alls stadium and Ford would be at the brim of 30,000 raving sports lunatics each week.

I just think the whole argument is stupid. College kids are college kids. The kids that go to SMU aren't rich, their parents are. So what they do with their college degree after their 4 years is all that matters. Yes, some get handed things over or live off trusts, but I bet there are kids at UNT that do the same. Probably the same amount of kids, the percentage is just higher at SMU b/c it only has 6,200 undergrad students.  Are SMU students given "better" opportunities due to their location inside the city and the tight-knit alumni base and having less people competing for jobs due to the school's size? Yeah... but that doesn't mean all students take advantage of those opportunities. And the ones that don't use the advantages to get ahead should be bitter..  b/c their parents wasted $160,000 for them to go to SMU.

My whole family (great great grandparents down) has gone to a 3rd-tier state school (Ole Miss) and they've all done just fine. In fact, the Ole Miss alumni network is probably tighter in the South East than Vandy and Duke's alumni bases. It doesn't matter how prestigious of a school you go to, it's the pride and power the alumni networking opportunities provide for its graduates. Many people on here have said that UNT alums just don't have the school pride. While SMU football has sucked, academically SMU is a tight-knit alum group in the work-force.

And while I enjoy posting on sports message boards, I would not call people that post on Sports Message Boards typical alumni or fans of most universities. If that was the case, y'alls stadium and Ford would be at the brim of 30,000 raving sports lunatics each week.

SHUT UP! YOU'RE THE DEVIL! GO WIPE YOURSELF WITH A $100 BILL AND GO BACK TO HIGHLAND PARK!!!

This is Jihad - embrace the spirit of psychotic warfare!

SHUT UP! YOU'RE THE DEVIL! GO WIPE YOURSELF WITH A $100 BILL AND GO BACK TO HIGHLAND PARK!!!

This is Jihad - embrace the spirit of psychotic warfare!

I can't... I'm in Natchez, MS visiting my grandparents... there't no airport to fly me back to HP and they still use Confederate Currency here so the wipe-thing won't work either. Sorry man..

----I do not resent anyone being rich (have some friends and relatives that WAAAY past average, enough said) .... nor do I resent those who can go to college without having a job.......... What I hate about people is poor attitude and the disrespectfulness of others. I do understand that some people are intimidated by people with lots of money but I am not one of them.

---I have read your many posts (Southern Stang ) and I am sure I would get along with you just fine.........BUT the other guy that insists on continuing to refer to us as NTSU is feebly attempting to put North Texas down......again. Those are the guys I dislike and unfortunately many from SMU (or at least the ones I know) have that attitude. I suggest when you listen to the media or read the DMN when a SMU person is "talking" that you do so with a "North Texas perspective" and then you will understand that much of what is/has been said by SMU people is insulting to us. You and many of SMU are not really a problem but there is an unusually large group there that are. For it is worth we are not the only college that feels that way...I have heard a student of another university in Texas said about the same thing this week.....We are probably the one with the strongest feeling against them because we likely receive the most insults by SMUers....

---Actually I think their putdowns of us shows a lot of insecurity by those of their status and perhaps some even feel inferior to others...crazy.

---Actually I think their putdowns of us shows a lot of insecurity by those of their status and perhaps some even feel inferior to others...crazy.

Now that is a good point - my argument is, knowing that many of them are in that situation, why give them a whole thread's worth of material to turn back on us and make us look insecure? We have nothing to be insecure about with them.

As Southern Mustang said, they have a great alumni network that some of their students really use. I bet they are not the posters making those comments - unless it is in jest to the original idea of this thread put forth by our own alumni. One of my favorites parts of uptown/SMU area is finding the SMU guys I knew from high school who now specialize in mixing my drink or making sure they serve my fajitas just right. Those are the ones who never used the network or took advantage of tens of thousands of dollars worth of education, those are the ones who need vindication from a crappy football team, and those are the ones who think saying NTSU is a knee-slapping good time. If everything pans out, they can make a few sales at the car dealership someday and get their own crappily made McMansion in a Dallas suburb and struggle to pay their mortgage while leasing a Lexus.

A college diploma proves you can read, write, and comprehend the world around you - and some specific technical knowledge/ contacts to open a few doors. Its what you do after and the character your college experience put in you that decides who you become.

I feel like Tony Robbins.

Does that SMU prof still have her blog that makes fun of the students? That was a great read.

Now, I have a war to go prepare for this weekend. If all goes well, by Monday we'll control the right tollbooth at Mockingbird and the Tollway and use it as our base for ground ops. If that fails, I'll just drink.

No mercy.