Jamario Thomas vs. Patrick Cobbs vs. Erric

gangrene

With NFL training camps about to start, I'd like know what everyone thinks about these three RBs; who will have the most successful NFL career and who would you choose as your starting RB for the Mean Green?

Here's my take:

While in college, Pegram didn't garner the national attention both Patrick and Jamario did, but he experienced moderate success in the NFL. His 7 1/2 NFL seasons (4 with ATL, 2 with PIT and 1 with NYG and 1/2 with SDG) will be hard to overcome. 1993 was easily his best season as he finished in the top 5 of three offensive statistical catergories:

1993 - tied for 4th in number of rushes

1993 - finished 4th in rushing yardage for the season with 1,185

1993 - finished 5th in total yardage for the season with 1,487

Erric also had a good season in Pittsburgh in 1995, when he rushed for 813 yds and five TDs. He topped the thousand yard mark in the total yds category.

Every report I've read from "professional" journalists state that Patrick is a long shot to make the Patriots roster. Given the depth they have at the RB position, I'll buy that BUT I think Patrick can be impressive enough in a pre-season game that he could be picked up by another team...likely as a kick returner. A couple of key injuries to RBs and he could find his way on the field. I believe that PC has the talent to be a successful NFL RB, but he'll need a few lucky breaks before any team will give him the chance.

Jamario has shown flashes of absolute brilliance, but he's got a problem with the injury bug. I think if J-mo can find some of that magic he had his freshman year and play at that same level his last two years in college, he'll be a first day NFL draft pick. Where he's picked in the draft will have a direct correlation to the contributions he'll be expected to make to the team, thus a higher draft pick will increase his odds of making the team and getting some PT early in his career.

While all three of these RBs were/are great, I think J-mo has the most God-given talent and he's my pick to start for the Mean Green AND to have the most successful NFL career. But I really do hope to see PC out there on Sundays this year running for some team, any team, and I'll be cheering for him.

Was Erric the running back in the now infamous "Crime in Austin" game?

I loved watching him play.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

J-Mo has more jukes. Cobbs seems to have the best vision and very good speed, Pegram was just an all around very good RB. Pegram wasn't great, but he was special to watch. I really hoped we had a future Pegram in Roy Bishop. I cheered every time he came in. Sometimes they just don't pan out.

Guest GrayEagleOne

With NFL training camps about to start, I'd like know what everyone thinks about these three RBs; who will have the most successful NFL career and who would you choose as your starting RB for the Mean Green?

Here's my take:

While in college, Pegram didn't garner the national attention both Patrick and Jamario did, but he experienced moderate success in the NFL.  His 7 1/2 NFL seasons (4 with ATL, 2 with PIT and 1 with NYG and 1/2 with SDG) will be hard to overcome.  1993 was easily his best season as he finished in the top 5 of three offensive statistical catergories:

1993 - tied for 4th in number of rushes

1993 - finished 4th in rushing yardage for the season with 1,185

1993 - finished 5th in total yardage for the season with 1,487

Erric also had a good season in Pittsburgh in 1995, when he rushed for 813 yds and five TDs.  He topped the thousand yard mark in the total yds category.

Every report I've read from "professional" journalists state that Patrick is a long shot to make the Patriots roster.  Given the depth they have at the RB position, I'll buy that BUT I think Patrick can be impressive enough in a pre-season game that he could be picked up by another team...likely as a kick returner.  A couple of key injuries to RBs and he could find his way on the field.  I believe that PC has the talent to be a successful NFL RB, but he'll need a few lucky breaks before any team will give him the chance.

Jamario has shown flashes of absolute brilliance, but he's got a problem with the injury bug.  I think if J-mo can find some of that magic he had his freshman year and play at that same level his last two years in college, he'll be a first day NFL draft pick.  Where he's picked in the draft will have a direct correlation to the contributions he'll be expected to make to the team, thus a higher draft pick will increase his odds of making the team and getting some PT early in his career.

While all three of these RBs were/are great, I think J-mo has the most God-given talent and he's my pick to start for the Mean Green AND to have the most successful NFL career.  But I really do hope to see PC out there on Sundays this year running for some team, any team, and I'll be cheering for him.

I share your enthusiasm about wanting Patrick and Jemario to succeed in a NFL career. But, if either is going to be the best, they won't have to surpass Erric Pegram, but the great Abner Haynes. Abner had about a thousand more rushing yards and 3,000 more receiving yards. And, when it comes to points scored, it's Haynes by a landslide. Abner had 414 career points while Erric had 92.

I'm especially pulling for Patrick Cobbs because I think that he has a very tough challenge. Even if he turns out to be the equal of Maroney, he'll be the one out because of the heavy investment that they have in Laurence Maroney. Seems to me as if it will be taxi squad or another team. Also, if you love to root for the underdog, Patrick seems to have faced an uphill battle his post-high school career. So far, he has met every challenge and I hope that he can continue.

For now, I'll be happy if JT can just return to 2004 form with zero problems with his hamstring.

I share your enthusiasm about wanting Patrick and Jemario to succeed in a NFL career.  But, if either is going to be the best, they won't have to surpass Erric Pegram, but the great Abner Haynes.  Abner had about a thousand more rushing yards and 3,000 more receiving yards.  And, when it comes to points scored, it's Haynes by a landslide.  Abner had 414 career points while Erric had 92. 

I'm especially pulling for Patrick Cobbs because I think that he has a very tough challenge.  Even if he turns out to be the equal of Maroney, he'll be the one out because of the heavy investment that they have in Laurence Maroney.  Seems to me as if it will be taxi squad or another team.  Also, if you love to root for the underdog, Patrick seems to have faced an uphill battle his post-high school career.  So far, he has met every challenge and I hope that he can continue.

For now, I'll be happy if JT can just return to 2004 form with zero problems with his hamstring.

Lil' Abner (#28) is honored in the Chiefs Hall of Fame for his career accomplishments.

Was Erric the running back in the now infamous "Crime in Austin" game?

I loved watching him play.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1988 season was Erric's first with the Mean Green. He played a backup roll all season. Tony Cook and David McGinty (sp) played in front of Erric.

Remember that Eric led the SLC in '90 in fumbles yet he was still drafted that next spring. Once he learned to hang onto the ball he became great. The guy had a sack of moves, maybe the best we have ever had? He was probably as fast as Jamario in the open field and maybe faster than Cobbs. The thing is we never really got to see how damn great Eric was because overall at running the ball, because, and thankfully our @#$#ing offense back then didn't rely on simply running the clock out every saturday. Once he got into the NFL the coaches in Atlanta new they got a great all around player who could do it all, run, pass block, catch etc because that is what he honed his skills at in college. Amazing how that works out in that way?

With Patrick I'll give him our best shot as being the next guy to get to that level because of his determination to do whatever needs done. Unfortunately he's probably having to learn on the fly with the pass blocking and catching stuff?

And like what's already been posted, I just want to see SPJMo get through a full season healthy, which will be asking a lot considering he's likely going to be expected to touch the ball over 300 times again?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick