Ask CollegeFootballNews

Truthfully.....is this any new information that, we as the Mean Green Nation, did not already know???

When you have a D-1AA conference that is ranked ahead of the SBC, at the end of the season, what does that tell you of the "quality of teams in the conference?"

Heck, last year the SBC only won a handful of OOC games....

The author of the article is correct in implying that there must be a couple of teams rise to the top of this "barely legitimate D-1A conference" to be able to move up similar to what Boise State accomplished by being invited to the WAC.

Until there is another shake up of conferences to gain membership then, as we all know, UNT "must" rise to the top not only in football but more importantly in attendance.....and keep the top position.

Without clicking:

Could you please answer two questions that me and my roommates have been bickering over... Will the Sun Belt ever establish itself as a legit 1-A conference, and if so, when? Also, who are your top 3 (in order) to win the Sun Belt Conference this year? –Wiley

A: No, but that’s not to say a few individual teams can’t rise up and be more of a national player. Boise State wasn’t exactly a Big West powerhouse before 1998 when the program took off, and then went nuts when it joined the WAC. If it’s going to happen, it’ll likely come from Florida International or Florida Atlantic thanks to its recruiting base. Troy wasn’t bad a few years ago and showed it could make a little bit of noise. But as a conference, no, it’s not going to be a power of any sort any time soon. For the Sun Belt title, my top three to win are 1. UL Lafayette, 2. FIU, 3. North Texas. That’s based on schedules, timing and talent. As far as the three best teams in the conference, 1. UL Lafayette, 2. MTSU, 3. Troy.

---The problem in Florida NOW is there are a lot of I-A teams there unlike a few years ago there were only three cutting up the talent.... Florida, Florida State, and Miami (which recruited and still recruits a lot of players out of state). I think FIU and Fla Atlantic will move up some at the expense of some of the others especially South Florida and Central Florida. I suspect South Carolina with Spurier is taking a lot of talent as well.

--- We are in state with a lot of I-A programs (10) and even a lot of I-AA schools and smaller colleges with football programs dividing up the talent plus a lot of out of state raiders. California probably has the advantage with the fewest I-A colleges compared to the population.

If it happens it comes from Florida... yet the example/model is a school from a state that this year or last year produced exactly two I-A signees and Boise only got one of them.

Could it possibly be that recruiting base while a helpful resource has less to do with success than the caliber of coaching staff (top to bottom), fan support (emotional and financial), and institutional support?