Catching Up With Major Applewhite

LongJim

Catching up with Major Applewhite

posted: Thursday, July 6, 2006

When we caught up with new Rice coach Todd Graham in this space a few months ago, he wasn't coy about why he hired former Texas quarterback Major Applewhite, who had never been an offensive coordinator before.

"The bottom line is: Major is a winner," Graham said. "I watched him play."

OK, so he was somewhat coy. After being pressed, Graham added something that may not be self-evident. Unless, of course, you know Rice is located in Texas, where former Longhorn quarterbacks are fairly popular.

"Every quarterback in the state of Texas knows who Major Applewhite is," Graham conceded, before explaining how the Owls had just landed Pierre Beasley, a quarterback with BCS-caliber skills. "Major goes into his house one time, and that kid is totally changed. We go from in the pack to front-runner."

Now all Major needs to do is prove that he learned enough as a graduate assistant at Texas and in one tough season as Syracuse's quarterbacks coach that he is ready to convert Rice from a less-than-successful option offense to a potent spread attack.

Applewhite, who will steer Rice against Texas on Sept. 16, speaks candidly here about growing pains in the spring, the Longhorns' quarterback situation, what he loves about text messaging players, Vince Young and being back in Texas:

Schad: It seems like most coordinators are on vacation right now. Thanks for calling.

Applewhite: Not me. This is my first year here so you know there is always some extra work to do. Some guys may take two or three weeks vacation. We're looking more at two or three days vacation.

Schad: So how hard a sell was Rice?

Applewhite: Rice is a unique place. It's untapped potential.

Schad: All the magazines say a system change from option to spread spells disaster.

Applewhite: There were some spring growing pains, but overall, they adjusted well. We told them we won't use style of play as an excuse. We've seen schools like Nebraska go through the growing pains. We'll do some of what fits the skills of our players because that's what we have in the building, but we'll open it up a little bit more. They threw and caught the ball well in spring. I wouldn't say I was surprised, but pleased.

Schad: So is this spread stuff like what Texas does?

Applewhite: No. It's more about using the dimensions of the field and making them cover the whole field. We're not Texas or USC where we'll be able to line up and hammer you. That's not our strength. We want to spread the field with three- or four- or five-receiver sets and allow cleaner looks for the offensive linemen and our quarterbacks. It's almost like the West Coast has been replaced with the spread.

Schad: You know, I was at Texas recently. And everyone kept comparing Colt McCoy to a young Major Applewhite.

Applewhite: I don't really know much about Colt as a person. But the way they'll handle the quarterbacks there this year is like when I was a freshman. I had Ricky Williams in the backfield. They've got Jamaal Charles. I was a graduate assistant at Texas when we recruited Jamaal. He's small and powerful -- and he's fast enough that he's in the news during track season.

Schad: Didn't you and Chris Simms go back-and-forth at one point at Texas?

Applewhite: As a coach now, my opinion is that when you have two quarterbacks, it's because you haven't found one. In Texas' situation, it's because of inexperience. Make no mistake, Texas has one, it's just a question of them not knowing which one because neither has taken a snap. My whole deal is, if you're asking your quarterback to be a leader of the team, it's difficult with two guys doing that. With 18-, 19-, and 20-year-old kids, the maturity level just isn't there. You lose sight of the big picture and agendas and selfish ideas get in the way. You have to have one guy. You have to make him earn it and you have to trust him. Then, if he struggles, you can always try the other guy. The problem at a place like Texas is, you'd better find the right guy fast. You'd really like to come out of spring ball and say, hey, you have one starter. That's not easy, though.

Schad: You landed a stud quarterback recruit in Pierre Beasley, who will be practicing in the fall. Would you play a true freshman quarterback?

Applewhite: I don't like playing a true freshman quarterback unless you have no depth there. Chris Simms did it when our backup [at Texas] was Adam Dunn, who is now with the Cincinnati Reds. I'd like to see how long we could keep Pierre out. Chase Clement left spring as the starter but I'm not ready to finalize that. Chase is a smart kid. He's very, very bright and very eager to learn and understand. And he has good feet and runs better than you would think.

Schad: What was it like to be quarterbacks coach at Syracuse last year?

Applewhite: From the standpoint of being a young coach and learning, I couldn't have found a better group of guys. With that wealth of NFL experience, I can't tell you how much comes of out of my mouth that I heard them say. We were putting in a system different from what Syracuse had done. They'll be better this year. With losing comes a lot of other things that are difficult to deal with.

Schad: Exactly. You lost a total of 10 games in high school and at Texas. But Syracuse and Rice each lost 10 games last season.

Applewhite: It's the morale that's the big thing. Getting kids up and getting coaches up for the next week. There seems to be a dark cloud that can look over you and you have to find a way to get it out of mind and out of sight. There is a process and sometimes that process isn't fun. Syracuse was 6-6 and in a bowl and the next year they're staring 1-10 in the eye and it's difficult for them to put forth a consistent effort.

Schad: Does it annoy you that every article refers to you as "baby-faced?"

Applewhite: Hell, no. I like it. If I age well, that's fine with me. I am young and that's OK. I can relate to the players schedules, their time and their mind-sets. I understand where they are right now. I can help them fight through the immaturity.

Schad: Admit it. Sometimes you jump in there and wing it around.

Applewhite: When demonstrating drills, I really don't. But there are times when you're standing behind a pass play and you see it develop quicker than the guy who's taking the snap. That's the challenge to me. The challenge is getting the guys to see it as you see it and getting them to be as though you're down there on the field with them. Look, I was limited talent-wise. But coach [Greg] Davis [the Texas offensive coordinator] was in my head. He was the one talking in my head as I made decisions.

Schad: Man. You just said you were "limited talent-wise."

Applewhite: I mean … I'm not completely blind. I've seen a lot of strong arms, a lot of fast and tall people out there. I was only 5-foot-11 and 205 pounds with a slightly above-average arm. I mean, I could move around the pocket, but not run. I understood that when I took off, it looked like I was trying to kill the clock.

Schad: No Vince Young, huh?

Applewhite: Vince Young is a tremendous leader. He wasn't speaking the same language as Greg [Davis] his freshman year. Then he started to get it. And you could see it happening. Yeah, [he threw] a few interceptions in that Ohio State game when he played outside of himself like a freshman, but I could almost hear what was being said in the meetings. Vince has gotten more and more polished every year, and as a communicator. You know, for some reason, we're hesitant to give some guys the quarterback "tag" every year. But he is a quarterback, not just an athlete. And I loved the two years I got to spend around him.

Schad: So you'll call the game from the press box?

Applewhite: I want to be up in the box for the vision. The press box is a sterile environment. Plus, I don't have everyone running in front of me.

Schad: What if the NCAA starts to limit text messaging of recruits?

Applewhite: That would hurt me, I think. There are certain schools where some of the coaches aren't doing it. And I know at some schools, the coaches hand their cell phones over to recruiting secretaries and assistants to send messages like, "Hey Johnny. This is coach so-and-so. Thinking about you." I mean, for a school our size, I can't have a secretary sending those messages. If you get a message from Major Applewhite, I can assure you Major Applewhite sent the message.

Schad: So is Major Applewhite happy?

Applewhite: I can't tell you how happy I am to be back in Texas. My family is from Baton Rouge and Texas. I loved Syracuse, but my first four days there were all below zero. When I call the office of a high school AD in Texas, I get to talk to the coach. They don't usually take a message. It's awesome to recruit the state of Texas. You understand why there is a movie called "Friday Night Lights." It's flattering that kids are interesting in speaking with me during the recruiting process. But I also have a job to do and do well. And that's why I'm in my office right now and not fishing.

Catching up with Major Applewhite

posted: Thursday, July 6, 2006

Applewhite: As a coach now, my opinion is that when you have two quarterbacks, it's because you haven't found one. In Texas' situation, it's because of inexperience. Make no mistake, Texas has one, it's just a question of them not knowing which one because neither has taken a snap. My whole deal is, if you're asking your quarterback to be a leader of the team, it's difficult with two guys doing that. With 18-, 19-, and 20-year-old kids, the maturity level just isn't there. You lose sight of the big picture and agendas and selfish ideas get in the way. You have to have one guy. You have to make him earn it and you have to trust him. Then, if he struggles, you can always try the other guy. The problem at a place like Texas is, you'd better find the right guy fast. You'd really like to come out of spring ball and say, hey, you have one starter. That's not easy, though.

Anyone else find this interesting?

Think there's any chance of us hiring away Major Applewhite?

Rice is a VERY RICH UNIVERSITY, but if he handles the OC job well which I think he will, he should be ready for a HC job in ' 07-'08. He and Todd Dodge have always been my choices if we are ever going to have the opportunity to compete for recruits in the metroplex and in Texas. It's obvious that we are very lightly regarded by Texas HS coaches from the caliber of this last recruiting class and its notable absence of Texas talent. Just from that interview I'd be willing to bet that Rice plays UT at least 4 TDs closer than NT does. Compare our OC to theirs and you'll get the picture. cool.gif

Edited by DallasGreen

Major is a Major annoyance.  Is this the new Rice/UNT board?

Sincerely,

Francis

UNT will be playing a home and home w/Rice. Thought some might enjoy the info on them. God forbid. sad.gif

Would you like a snowcone or something? wink.gif

"UNT also finalized a deal with Rice to play a home-and-home series in 2008 and 2010. UNT has stated its intension to develop more regional rivalries and reduce the number of high-dollar contract games the Mean Green play on the road.

“It is increasingly important for us to develop regional rivalries with teams such as Rice,” UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said. “Our fans appreciate the ability to travel to games within a reasonable proximity and have a better association with teams from the state of Texas like Rice and SMU.” "

Snowcone yes! I live in Austin and have to hear about the greatness of Major every day on the talk radio show! I guess I like to visit here and get a break from the greatest College Program in all of the world!

Please keep us up to date on your favorite team. We love to hear about it!