SBC Attendance

NM Green

Okay, the topic description is a no brainer. All of our attendances need to go up in '06 and that should happen with some OOC wins.

The Sports Animal here in Hawaii was talking WAC attendance this morning. He stated that only 3 have decent attendance:

Fresno 39,000

Hawaii 33,000

Boise 30,000

He even commented that all the WAC numbers are seats issues, not butts in seats. He said the BSU number should be concerning, because 30,000 with 10-2 type seasons and WAC crowns or shares of crowns since joining might not hold in a 7-5 year. His trivia question was "Who has the next best attendance AFTER Boise?" The answer is La Tech at 16,000. Nevada, Utah State and NMSU were at 12,000 while I believe Idaho was around 10,000.

So looking at our programs from top to bottom we definitely have some work to do, but I do like the fact that our attendance at North Texas is pretty legit and based on butts in seats. More importantly it has inched in the right direction which is what I hope for the entire league this fall.

GMG

Guest GrayEagleOne

Okay, the topic description is a no brainer.  All of our attendances need to go up in '06 and that should happen with some OOC wins.

The Sports Animal here in Hawaii was talking WAC attendance this morning.  He stated that only 3 have decent attendance:

Fresno 39,000

Hawaii 33,000

Boise 30,000

He even commented that all the WAC numbers are seats issues, not butts in seats.  He said the BSU number should be concerning, because 30,000 with 10-2 type seasons and WAC crowns or shares of crowns since joining might not hold in a 7-5 year.  His trivia question was "Who has the next best attendance AFTER Boise?"  The answer is La Tech at 16,000.  Nevada, Utah State and NMSU were at 12,000 while I believe Idaho was around 10,000. 

So looking at our programs from top to bottom we definitely have some work to do, but I do like the fact that our attendance at North Texas is pretty legit and based on butts in seats.  More importantly it has inched in the right direction which is what I hope for the entire league this fall.

GMG

It's true that the WAC's attendance by the lower eschelon was terrible. So was the MAC They, too, have three or four carrying the rest of them. But, both are ahead of the SBC.

Boise won't have more than 30,000 until they build a new stadium because that is the capacity of Bronco Stadium. The real disappointment because they used to average more than 20,000 most years since advancing to 1A. The three additions from the SBC should have increased attendance because all three have wanted in the WAC for a long time. San Jose State may be competitive on the field but they've never had good attendance. By the way, if I remember correctly, Idaho did average 15,000, but just barely.

At least with the WAC seven of the nine teams have averaged 20,000 and are capable of doing it consistently. With the Belt, only Troy and maybe ULL have averaged 20,000. .I think that North Texas and Middle Tennessee, with the right home schedule and a competitive team could average twenty. For the other four, I'm afraid that it's always going to be a struggle.

It's true that the WAC's attendance by the lower eschelon was terrible.  So was the MAC  They, too, have three or four carrying the rest of them.  But, both are ahead of the SBC.

Boise won't have more than 30,000 until they build a new stadium because that is the capacity of Bronco Stadium.  The real disappointment because they used to average more than 20,000 most years since advancing to 1A.  The three additions from the SBC should have increased attendance because all three have wanted in the WAC for a long time.  San Jose State may be competitive on the field but they've never had good attendance.  By the way, if I remember correctly, Idaho did average 15,000, but just barely. 

At least with the WAC seven of the nine teams have averaged 20,000 and are capable of doing it consistently.  With the Belt, only Troy and maybe ULL have averaged 20,000.  .I think that North Texas and Middle Tennessee, with the right home schedule and a competitive team  could average twenty.  For the other four, I'm afraid that it's always going to be a struggle.

With Louisville at the Coliseum in Nashville, that one could garner about 40-45K in attendance. If we keep the other four games in Floyd up to at least 20K, I think we will see an end average of about 25-30K, and to be honest, that's a very REAL possibility.

Based on trends of season-opening home games and Thursday night games I think the FIU and Tennessee Tech games will both be well-attended.

FIU, which is on a Thursday night, will be the first game under the new coaching staff. I believe there will be a large contingent on hand to see that. I'll say about 24K for that one.

Then you have Tennessee Tech--the old Totem Bowl rival from the OVC. They will bring every fan they have including their band, cheerleaders, etc., etc. I fully expect that game to be something very similarly attended as the '98 game against Tennessee State--maybe 28K.

Florida Atlantic is Homecoming for us and Homecoming usually draws at least 20K and I'll go with 20K for the attendance there.

Troy is Senior Night. They'll bring a large contingent. The last game of the season is usually the worst attended. I'll say 17K for that one.

And I believe we will see 45K for Louisville.

If it pans out that way for us, that's an average of 26,800. Obviously I'm hoping for better attendance figures. But I believe you are right. I think Middle Tennessee will at least crack a 20K average this year.