Toothpaste

Ibleedgreen

When our administrators announced we would be going to a new, "brighter" shade of green, they told us we would be using the kelly green, instead of hunter/forest. Kelly green, we were told, reflects the shade that is traditional to North Texas...the shade of green that was originally selected by the student body. Although I personally prefer the darker, meaner hunter green, I can accept kelly green because I think tradition is important. But, once again our officials have issued what one poster on this board aptly described as "toothpaste" green shirts to our incoming freshmen. These shirts are almost aqua.

---We need tradition, tradition, tradition. Two colors of green isn't a problem [as this web-page shows] but the the artsy guys need to quit messing with the colors. Green (and blue)-- unlike red or burnt orange, or maroon come in many variations but we need to stick with only a couple. I too like the darker green but the bright verstion shows up better in public.

I agree that the colors on this board are fine, because the darker shade is kelly green. You don't see any aqua here.

The best uniforms and helmets we had were the last couple years of the Flying Worm years when we trimmed the kelly green with white and darker green accent stripes. The lighter and darker green together are very nice looking, like this page's colors.

The best uniforms and helmets we had were the last couple years of the Flying Worm years when we trimmed the kelly green with white and darker green accent stripes.  The lighter and darker green together are very nice looking, like this page's colors.

You're on DRUGS, serious DRUGS! The flying Worm era was without a doubt the ugliest NT's uniforms have ever been.

I'm completely beat down on this subject. They know there is a problem. They know hat there is a discrepency in the colors, and they know what the correct one is. But for whatever reason they(the university) continues to allow departments who place orders for shirts to simply put in for Light Green instead of visually checking and making a point with their suppliers that "We don't want any light green, we want our correct Kelly Green. We want to see a sample first, then we will place the order".

How damn hard can it be?

ANSWER: NOT HARD AT ALL WHEN YOU DON'T CARE

I know we like to make fun of Plumm when he rants about too many non alumni being on the payroll at NT who just go through the motions and collect a check. But this is one of the examples he's pointing to, and he dead on with it. Yes the T shirt color mess is just simply one example, but place all the examples together and you have the mess we're currently in.

Rick

Officials at the University of Kansas have designated a particular blue shade (by number) that all departments must use when placing orders or creating anything KU related that is distributed to the public. North Texas could do the same. Actually, I wonder how many universities have done this? Like us, lots of schools have gone through the branding process in the past five years or so. Surely, KU can't be the only one that has an official designated color number. (A&M?)

Officials at the University of Kansas have designated a particular blue shade (by number) that all departments must use when placing orders or creating anything KU related that is distributed to the public. North Texas could do the same. Actually, I wonder how many universities have done this? Like us, lots of schools have gone through the branding process in the past five years or so. Surely, KU can't be the only one that has an official designated color number. (A&M?)

It's called a "Style Guide" and the purpose of one is to show vendors, media ect. the acceptable manners in which logo's, colors, word marks, etc may be used. There are usually 4 color logo representations with PMS colors noted as well as black and white logo's etc. These guides show how small a logo may be recreated for printed pieces like newspapers, brochures etc. It also explains how close other logo's may be in relation and where logo placement should occur. It is within these guides you explain precisely how the brand should be represented.

Most companies, at least publicly traded ones, have style guides that describe their brand standards. I would assume most universities also have them. And with all the non-sense of "logo-gate" and the crappy logo we were saddled with in the 90's I can't for the life of me believe we don't have one.

As for departments in the University not having a style guide for reference I think an easy solution would be to give one to each individual who has authority to approve a purchase order. Make them responsible for ensuring the brand standard. I doubt anyone can order anything without a PO.

Speaking of A&M and acceptable colors I've always heard that A&M's original colors were red and white (much like Arkansas) Years ago they ordered new uniforms for the football team and they came in shortly before their first game and to everyone's surprise they were maroon. With no money or time to correct it A&M turned lemons in to lemonade. And as Paul Harvey would say...

The best uniforms and helmets we had were the last couple years of the Flying Worm years when we trimmed the kelly green with white and darker green accent stripes.  The lighter and darker green together are very nice looking, like this page's colors.

I saw them and that was no kelly green, and yes, those were the best North Texas uniforms ever.

Wanna hear something that will really make you sick?

My wife is in the promotional products business, so she buys a lot of screen-printed T-shirts for companies and other organizations. She told me that T-shirt companies don't sell "burnt orange" shirts..... that color is known in the industry as "Texas orange."

My wife is in the promotional products business, so she buys a lot of screen-printed T-shirts for companies and other organizations.  She told me that T-shirt companies don't sell "burnt orange" shirts..... that color is known in the industry as "Texas orange."

ohmy.gif bwah.... plaa.... ahgggg ohmy.gif (me throwing up)

Why do we even allow the separate departments purchasing power of this type? Would it not solve everyone's problems to have one central group at NT handle all purchasing of shirts/hats/etc(basically anything that was going to prominently display the NT brand) and have all the different departments go through them? I realize this would be painful at first, but it would solve the F'ing problem.

Why do we even allow the separate departments purchasing power of this type?  Would it not solve everyone's problems to have one central group at NT handle all purchasing of shirts/hats/etc(basically anything that was going to prominently display the NT brand) and have all the different departments go through them?  I realize this would be painful at first, but it would solve the F'ing problem.

This has been the biggest weakness of the University of North Texas. Every department thinks that their department is the most important. They're used to going their own way, and they're used to creating their own unique "identity"....which may or may not (mostly may not) include the official branding/logo/colors of the University.

I've often compared North Texas, and all it's various departments, to the family in the movie/play "You can't take it with you".

The main difference however, is that in the movie/play everyone likes and respects one another.......but not at North Texas.

My wife is in the promotional products business, so she buys a lot of screen-printed T-shirts for companies and other organizations.  She told me that T-shirt companies don't sell "burnt orange" shirts..... that color is known in the industry as "Texas orange."

---Supposedly that color was an accident. UT washed what had been normal orange uniforms (around 1920??) with something else and when when came out of the wash that odd orange appeared but they still used them and that odd color became standard..

---Odd fact #2--- BEVO is the result of the Aggies stealing the UT mascot (also around 1920). They branded the thing 13 - 0 which was the previous year's score that the Aggies won. They then returned him. Texas obviously did not want 13 - 0 on the side of their mascot so they altered it to read BEVO. The 13 became B, - was part of the E, and O was still there.

---Odd fact #3-- Texas defeated North Texas in 1988 by 27-24 when the ref had tempory blindness and did not notice the UT receiver had gone out of bounds prior to catching the winnng TD..

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Now I am torn - I just weaned my wife off of scrapbooking, and now this turns up.  I may have to suffer through $20 pages of pictures, just to get some more UNT swag in the house!

Haha my wife is way into scrapbooking also. She just back from San Jose last week at a scrapbooking school/convention (CKU). The books do look nice though once finished biggrin.gif

---Odd fact #3-- Texas defeated North Texas in  1988 by  27-24 when the ref had tempory blindness and did not notice the UT receiver had gone out of bounds prior to catching the winnng TD..

I was there - he wasn't even close to being inbounds (I was watching from the seats close to the end-zone). That fact was made even more clear in the video replays on the local sports newscasts. What irked me the most was the celebration of the UT fans on their great late-in-the-game come-from-behind victory - they're just as blind as their refs mad.gif