Oklahoma ?

buff64

Great news! We just cant play Ok State, Missouri, AZ, or Iowa State. It must be a top 10 school.

We've already been beaten by OSU, AZ, & Mizzou in prior years. We'll prostitute the team out to anyone who'll pay the price. Until we can get 30K butts in seats you have to live the mid major life. If you think our schedule is tough look at the rest of the SBC. Realistically SMU,Tulsa,LA Tech, and Akron were scheduled as competitive games, but DD and staff have to start giving a rat's a__ about OOC games or none will be winnable. UT is the only $$$$$game on the schedule. At least it's at 11 AM. We can bus to Austin and go through the motions as UT treats this as the preseason scrimmage that it is for them before they commence their real season against Ohio State the next weekend. We need to vacate DKR and start preparing to compete with SMU as soon as the ink dries on the UT check. laugh.gif

We've already been beaten by OSU, AZ, & Mizzou in prior years. We'll prostitute the team out to anyone who'll pay the price. Until we can get 30K butts in seats you have to live the mid major life. If you think our schedule is tough look at the rest of the SBC. Realistically SMU,Tulsa,LA Tech, and Akron were scheduled as competitive games, but DD and staff have to start giving a rat's a__ about OOC games or none will be winnable. UT is the only $$$$$game on the schedule. At least it's at 11 AM. We can bus to Austin and go through the motions as UT treats this as the preseason scrimmage that it is for them before they commence their real season against Ohio State the next weekend. We need to vacate DKR and start preparing to compete with SMU as soon as the ink dries on the UT check. laugh.gif

Hmmmm, I guess this could compromise my "ride Amtrak to the game" idea. I haven't given up however. Anyone planning to stay two nights should consider it. wink.gif

This question has rolled around in my head for some time. Why is the football team always asked to schedule suicide games for money but the men's and women's basketball teams never are required to do so? Any thoughts?

This question has rolled around in my head for some time.  Why is the football team always asked to schedule suicide games for money but the men's and women's basketball teams never are required to do so?  Any thoughts?

You want me to explain the thought processes of the athletic administration at North Texas? blink.gif

I like you Jim, but not enough to give myself that kind of headache. cool.gif

This question has rolled around in my head for some time.  Why is the football team always asked to schedule suicide games for money but the men's and women's basketball teams never are required to do so?  Any thoughts?

I guess you forgot about the time we played Maryland a few years ago when they beat us by about 50. Actually...I think it was over 60.

Well, let's see. UT hosts us in FB to 80,000 fans at $50 a pop equals $4,000,000.

UT hosts us in basketball to 15,000 fans at $25 a pop equals $375,000.

I would guess by this simplistic model that it is easier to pay us $500,000 to $600,000 a game in FB than BB.

Well, let's see.  UT hosts us in FB to 80,000 fans at $50 a pop equals $4,000,000.

UT hosts us in basketball to 15,000 fans at $25 a pop equals $375,000.

I would guess by this simplistic model that it is easier to pay us $500,000 to $600,000 a game in FB than BB.

$50 is for the crappy seats. The price goes up exponentially the closer you get to the field.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Yawn. 

I'm tired of playing the same ole lousy UT and OU every other year.  We need some new competition; someone that can give us a game.  dry.gif

I believe that I saw that we open up 2008 against another crappy LSU team. Not much competition but at least it will break up the UT/OU monotony.

If we built a stadium and signed a 5 for 1 deal with a top 10 team. Think of the revenue that would bring!

35,000 seat stadium x $50 a ticket for UT, LSU, OU...$1,750,000

+ 4 years at $750,000 a year for away games.

We could pay off the stadium in no time.

Because it would take about 12 "suicide" games in men's basketball to equal what football can earn in a single trip. It would take about 25 "suicide" games in women's basketball to bring in that much.

If we built a stadium and signed a 5 for 1 deal with a top 10 team. Think of the revenue that would bring!

35,000 seat stadium x $50 a ticket for UT, LSU, OU...$1,750,000

+ 4 years at $750,000 a year for away games.

We could pay off the stadium in no time.

Well, first of all, not all of those seats would be $50.00. At least 5K or 6K would need to be student seating. So at the most, you would have 30K reserved seats X $50.00.

The whole "sports culture" at North Texas would have to change before students would pay for a sporting event .......even a big time football event.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for that.

The whole "sports culture" at North Texas would have to change before students would pay for a sporting event .......even a big time football event.

You mentioned North Texas and Big Time in the same sentence. Are you on drugs? North Texas will NOT BE big time in any sport until there is a change in the thinking of the administration.

Yawn. 

I'm tired of playing the same ole lousy UT and OU every other year.  We need some new competition; someone that can give us a game.  dry.gif

Agreed. If the non-BCS folk would quit playing the BCS folk, things would change. Money is the crack rock of college football athletic directors, though.

I'd like to see us schedule non-BCS types only. There are some good teams in the MWC, MAC, and WAC, enough to schedule...Bowling Green, Marshall, Colorado State, Air Force, Utah, Fresno State, etc. I like the Tulsa home and home we've done as well.

The Sports Animal here in OK is reporting that NT is the opening game for the 2007 season

First of all, I thought we opened the 2007 season at Miami? Is Miami 2008, do we play both Miami and OU in 2007 or was Miami cancelled? Or am I completely dreaming that we were scheduled to play in Miami?

Secondly, does DD have any sort of incentive clause within his contract to encourage him to actually develop a gameplan against Top 25 opponents? If not, I propose we pay him a bonus for staying within...let's say...30 points of teams ranked in the Top 25 when UNT plays them. Or maybe we should take baby steps and offer bonus incentives for scoring a touchdown against teams that played in a bowl game the previous season? Let's analyze the last few seasons and see how DD would have fared had the above incentives been in place:

K-State - 54-7 = no bonus for 30 pt. margin. We scored a TD but K-State didn't go to a bowl game the previous season nor were they even ranked in the Top 25

LSU - 56-3 = no bonus for 30 pt. margin, no bonus for scoring a TD

Texas 65-0 = no bonus for 30 pt. margin, no bonus for scoring a TD

Colorado 52-21 - no bonus for 30 pt. margin. We scored 3 TDs in a game that was pretty exciting for a while but CU didn't go to a bowl game the previous year and wasn't ranked in the Top 25 when we played them.

Oklahoma - 37-3 = no bonus for 30 pt. margin, no bonus for scoring a TD

Air Force - 34-21 = no bonus for 30 pt. margin because Air Force was unranked when we played them, however a BONUS would be given for scoring a TD as Air Force lost the 2002 San Francisco Bowl to Virginia Tech, 20-13.

Arkansas - 31-7 = BONUS for 30 pt. margin to Top 25 team (Arkansas beat Texas the previous week) and BONUS for scoring a TD against a bowl team (Arkansas lost in the 2002 Liberty Bowl to Minnesota)

I'd happily pay for a return to the competitve play of the 2003 season...hopefully with slightly better results.

First of all, I thought we opened the 2007 season at Miami?  Is Miami 2008, do we play both Miami and OU in 2007 or was Miami cancelled?  Or am I completely dreaming that we were scheduled to play in Miami?

Secondly, does DD have any sort of incentive clause within his contract to encourage him to actually develop a gameplan against Top 25 opponents?  If not, I propose we pay him a bonus for staying within...let's say...30 points of teams ranked in the Top 25 when UNT plays them.  Or maybe we should take baby steps and offer bonus incentives for scoring a touchdown against teams that played in a bowl game the previous season?  Let's analyze the last few seasons and see how DD would have fared had the above incentives been in place:

K-State - 54-7 = no bonus for 30 pt. margin. We scored a TD but K-State didn't go to a bowl game the previous season nor were they even ranked in the Top 25

LSU - 56-3 = no bonus for 30 pt. margin, no bonus for scoring a TD

Texas 65-0 = no bonus for 30 pt. margin, no bonus for scoring a TD

Colorado 52-21 - no bonus for 30 pt. margin.  We scored 3 TDs in a game that was pretty exciting for a while but CU didn't go to a bowl game the previous year and wasn't ranked in the Top 25 when we played them.

Oklahoma - 37-3 = no bonus for 30 pt. margin, no bonus for scoring a TD

Air Force - 34-21 = no bonus for 30 pt. margin because Air Force was unranked when we played them, however a BONUS would be given for scoring a TD as Air Force lost the 2002 San Francisco Bowl to Virginia Tech, 20-13.

Arkansas - 31-7 = BONUS for 30 pt. margin to Top 25 team (Arkansas beat Texas the previous week) and BONUS for scoring a TD against a bowl team (Arkansas lost in the 2002 Liberty Bowl to Minnesota)

I'd happily pay for a return to the competitve play of the 2003 season...hopefully with slightly better results.

Should we give the basketball team 1 point for hitting the rim too?