Conference Expansions

eulesseagle

In the next 2, or so, years the Big East will expand from 8 to 10 football playing schools.

who do you see going where from the different conferences to balance out?

If the Big East takes ECU then who does C-USA takes and will this leave the opportunity for Texas State to move to the SBC with the departure of one of the SBC schools?

In the next 2, or so, years the Big East will expand from 8 to 10 football playing schools.

who do you see going where from the different conferences to balance out?

If the Big East takes ECU then who does C-USA takes and will this leave the opportunity for Texas State to move to the SBC with the departure of one of the SBC schools?

I have no earthly idea if the Big East will expand or not. If they do, then ECU is a likely candidate. If that happens, then based on their past behavior and attitude toward us, C-USA would pick Troy or one of the Florida-who schools before inviting us. If that happens, then I would like to see Texas State move into the SBC.

I'd like to see this happen, it would balance the leagues out regionally and with more parity. And yes, I know it would NEVER happen. I like 9 and 12 team conferences as you'll notice.

** Denotes change in conference affiliation.

The Big Conference (Big 10):

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Iowa State***

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

Northwestern

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

Wisconsin

Big XII:

North

Arkansas***

Colorado

Kansas

Kansas State

Missouri

Nebraska

South

Baylor

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

SEC:

West

Alabama

Auburn

LSU

Ole Miss

Mississippi State

Vanderbilt

East

Clemson***

Florida

Georgia

Kentucky

South Carolina

Tennessee

ACC:

Atlantic:

Boston College

Florida State

Maryland

NCState

Wake Forest

West Virginia***

Coastal:

Duke

Georgia Tech

Miami

North Carolina

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Pac-10:

Arizona

Arizona State

BYU**

Cal

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

UCLA

USC

Utah**

Washington

Washington State

Big East:

Cincinatti

Connecticut

East Carolina**

Louisville

Notre Dame**

Pittsburgh

Rutgers

South Florida

Syracuse

MWC:

Air Force

Boise State**

Colorado State

Fresno State**

New Mexico

San Diego State

TCU

UNLV

Wyoming

CUSA:

West:

Houston

Rice

SMU

Tulane

Tulsa

UTEP

East:

Marshall

Memphis

Southern Miss

Toledo**

UAB

UCF

WAC:

Arkansas State**

Idaho

North Texas**

Louisiana Lafayette**

Louisiana Tech

Nevada

New Mexico State

San Jose State

Utah State

MAC: As Is, without Toledo -- with Temple.

Sun Belt: As Is, add some new D-1AA teams.

I have no earthly idea if the Big East will expand or not. If they do, then ECU is a likely candidate. If that happens, then based on their past behavior and attitude toward us, C-USA would pick Troy or one of the Florida-who schools before inviting us. If that happens, then I would like to see Texas State move into the SBC.

Memphis would be my guess for a Big East slot. They could be a partner for Louisville and might bring along the Liberty Bowl. UNT better get their act together if they want a spot in CUSA should one happen. La Tech and others look better now against us than they did a couple years ago. Where's the plan???? mad.gif

Memphis would be my guess for a Big East slot.  They could be a partner for Louisville and might bring along the Liberty Bowl.  UNT better get their act together if they want a spot in CUSA should one happen.   La Tech and others look better now against us than they did a couple years ago.   Where's the plan????   mad.gif

TECH THREAD

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32290

ANOTHER TECH THREAD - See Dwayne from Minden's post on page 4 re: Title IX problems & an NCAA visit

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32307

Edited by MeanGreen61

Memphis would be my guess for a Big East slot.  They could be a partner for Louisville and might bring along the Liberty Bowl.  UNT better get their act together if they want a spot in CUSA should one happen.  La Tech and others look better now against us than they did a couple years ago.  Where's the plan????  mad.gif

Based upon CUSA's historical expansion selection process, I do not believe that La Tech has much of a chance or they would have gotten in over UTEP -- Ruston is a small, rural market; Tech football attendance is not good enough for CUSA; Tech athletic budget is way too small for CUSA. I would expect UNT and the new Florida schools (Miami and Boca Raton) to be ahead of La Tech. All of you guys have so much potential!

Go Mean Green!!!!

Go SBC!!!

Based upon CUSA's historical expansion selection process, I do not believe that La Tech has much of a chance or they would have gotten in over UTEP -- Ruston is a small, rural market; Tech football attendance is not good enough for CUSA; Tech athletic budget is way too small for CUSA.  I would expect UNT and the new Florida schools (Miami and Boca Raton) to be ahead of La Tech.  All of you guys have so much potential!

Go Mean Green!!!!

Go SBC!!!

The first person that said that to us was Hayden Fry. Just about every coach and AD we've hired since then has used the same phrase. And where has this great "potential" taken us thus far. .........heavy sigh.. sad.gif

Guys and Gals,

Don't worry about UNT. We have a student population closing in on 35,000 students. Please! Do you really think any conf. will pass that up for some of these colleges with 6,000 students. UNT is a sleeping giant. It is a numbers game and CUSA will start to add up all the potential fans that come with a LARGE UNIVERSITY like a UNT.

Just wait and see...

Guys and Gals,

Don't worry about UNT. We have a student population closing in on 35,000 students. Please! Do you really think any conf. will pass that up for some of these colleges with 6,000 students. UNT is a sleeping giant. It is a numbers game and CUSA will start to add up all the potential fans that come with a LARGE UNIVERSITY like a UNT.

Just wait and see...

Well, so far the student population numbers didn't impress C-USA enough to invite us over SMU. We have always had much greater student population numbers (aka potential) than SMU, Rice and Tulsa. But so far, the only conference that's been impressed by those numbers/potential has been the Sunbelt.

I'm thinking that C-USA is more impressed with money and/or results.

Guys and Gals,

Just wait and see...

Well, CUSA already passed us over to take a 3,000 student university........Rice, and a 9,000 student reform school.....SMUt. BTW, one of the FU's (I think FAU) has an enrollment larger than UNT's. sad.gif

North Texas must get its act together to move up in the food chain. It would be stupid for NT to rely on a CUSA invite under any circumstances, imo the privates are not going to let it happen any time soon.

I am constantly amazed at what Texas State's name change has created, they are the same school that has only had limited success at athletics and if it was still named SWTS would not come up in most of these conversations. IMO the last thing NT and the other have-nots of Texas 1a schools need is more competition. Why not hope for UTA to bring back football and maybe with any luck at all in a decade or so NT can play NT at Dallas.

IMO, NT is going to continue to be the "red haired stepchild" of Texas athletics unless it makes some drastic changes. The number one priority is to get a staff that believes in NT and can sell that to the masses. Staff defined as every employee from the BOD to assistant coaches.

IMO, NT is going to continue to be the "red haired stepchild" of Texas athletics unless it makes some drastic changes.  The number one priority is to get a staff that believes in NT and can sell that to the masses.  Staff defined as every employee from the BOD to assistant coaches.

Good, no bulsh!t post GrandGreen. That about sums up where NT has always been and thought of, and only some earthshattering move or announcement will shake us from this "ugly duckling" stature in athletics. I've been hearing about this "sleeping giant" crap for too many years. SOMETHING needs to wake the S.O.B. up! mad.gif

The second funniest thing from SM.  I still love the picture of the SMU guys running on the field with rolled up khakis and docksiders... classic  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Hey, it takes some real style to make your post-game football celebrations look like Brooks Brothers advertisements. And I had on seer-sucker, not khaki that game.

If your football team sucks, you might as well make your tailgate look like the best pre-game festivity anywhere in the country... the Kentucky Derby.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I have serious doubts that the Big East will expand in less than five years unless the eight basketball schools decide to break off and form a separate conference.

Right now, I believe that the Big East would take only Notre Dame and/or Army and Navy. Of course, Notre Dame is sort of unofficially in the Big East now, at least for BCS bowl purposes but the BE would dearly love to have them for a regular football member.

But why ten teams? I think that it will either be nine or twelve. Either way, I concur with Grand Green; we won't be in the mix until we get a firm committment from the BOR and the coaching staff. The new president, with the backing of the Board of Regents must openly declare that we intend to compete at a very high level in the future. We need to be selling ourselves to the public and to CUSA right now.

I don't think I've ever participated in the conf realign debate before. But, I think the Pac-10 should take Hawaii and UNLV. Hawaii has to go somewhere, and the Pac 10 schools are the best fit. Both UNLV and Hawaii bring bowl games. It would look like: Pac-12 South: Hawaii, UNLV, USC, UCLA, ASU, UA North: Cal, Stanford, the Oregons and Washingtons.

The MWC would then get off their ass and pick up Boise and Fresno, for starters, possibly Neveda too. Which leaves trhe WAC in the direst of straits. After another attempt at WAC-E fails, they're done. USU, NMSU, and Idaho (and SJSU, if they continue in 1-A) could do a football-only thing with the SBC, and have a good home for their other sports in the Big West. Whatever pickup CUSA does from the SBC following an east coast shakeout, SBC football remains alive and well, with enough teams. And few will even care what WKU does.