FW*Telegram blurb NT hire Chip Gaber to coach

OldTimer

Garber has spent the last two seasons as secondary coach at Hofstra. I seem to remember he spent time at Army and Kentucky....will add other info as it is located as replies to this posting.

Dickey Names Wide Receivers Coach

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 06/07/2006

NT athletic website has the following article on Chip Garber.

Courtesy: Rick Yeatts

DENTON (6/7/06) – North Texas head football coach Darrell Dickey has announced the addition of wide receivers coach Chip Garber to the Mean Green coaching staff. Garber has over 28 years of coaching experience, spending the past two seasons as the defensive backs coach at Hofstra.

"We are very excited to have Chip Garber join the coaching staff at North Texas," Dickey said. "He brings a wealth of experience coaching at every level of college football and has a tremendous track record of recruiting in the state of Texas."

A native of Winchester, Va., Garber comes to Denton with years of experience coaching in the North Texas area. Garber began his career at SMU in 1978, working under Ron Meyer as a part time assistant.

After a successful seven-year stay at Kentucky coaching receivers and defensive backs, Garber found his way to Mississippi State where he coached alongside Dickey for the 1990 season.

"I look forward to working with Darrell Dickey again and I’m excited to be back recruiting Texas and working with the great high school coaches," Garber said. "I am very excited to be at North Texas, a program that has great tradition and recent success. I certainly hope that I can add to the program."

Garber returned to the Metroplex in 1991 with TCU before heading to Minnesota for four seasons to lead the defensive backs. He also spent three seasons at the Virginia Military Institute, as well as a year at Hofstra and three at Army.

Garber has nearly 20 years of experience recruiting the state of Texas. Aside from his time at TCU and SMU, he recruited the Lone Star State for nearly every program he has coached for.

As a player, Garber was a three year letterman playing linebacker at the University of Maryland from 1975-77. He played on two Atlantic Coast Conference championship teams in 1975 and 1976, and also played in the Gator Bowl, Cotton Bowl and the Hall of Fame Bowl.

Edited by OldTimer

Garber began his career at SMU in 1978, working under Ron Meyer as a part time assistant.

Can he recruit LEGALLY? That is the question.