New Transfer Rule

Eagle1855

Apparently there is a new transfer rule in place for Div 1A that states if student has recieved his undergraduate degree, he may attend graduate school at another institution and play an additional year immediately, without having to sit out.

Arizona's former starting QB just transfered to Vandy is expected to compete for the starting job this year.

I think this could be a great thing for schools like NT. There are plenty of dissatisfied players who could contribute here that just ride the bench in other places.

Thoughts?

I don't believe it will make a big dent because this will be so rare.

but dont you think it would be a viable option for guys like Matt Nordgren who rode the bench their entire career, to give them a year to give pro scouts something to look at, instead of going to Canada or Europe?

Apparently there is a new transfer rule in place for Div 1A that states if student has recieved his undergraduate degree, he may attend graduate school at another institution and play an additional year immediately, without having to sit out.

Arizona's former starting QB just transfered to Vandy is expected to compete for the starting job this year.

I think this could be a great thing for schools like NT. There are plenty of dissatisfied players who could contribute here that just ride the bench in other places.

Thoughts?

I want to see the chapter and verse.

---This sounds bad. Our QB Hall and Cobb had degrees there final year so what is keeping some place like UT or OU that needed a RB or QB for one year from getting them. The player might consider it especially if they thought it would increase their "draftability" by being in a high profile program. Nothing was mentioned about being a bench player, it could be a very good starter..

That rule could actually bite us.

---This sounds bad.  Our QB Hall and Cobb had degrees there final year so what is keeping some place like UT or OU  that needed a RB or QB for one year from getting them.  The player might consider it especially if they thought it would increase their "draftability" by being in a high profile program.  Nothing was mentioned about being a bench player, it could be a very good starter..

That rule could actually bite us.

I agree with you in theory. But my observations through the years have been that the players that are committed to a program will stay at that program, and the players who are disgruntled will avail themselves of this rule. The two players that you used in your example are (IMHO) the ones least likely to avail themselves of this new rule.

D-1 programs already lose disgruntled players to 1-AA programs anyway.