These Games Must Be Avoided

These games are 'must avoid'

Published June 4, 2006

We won't know the ramifications of college football's 12th regular-season game until December, but one thing is for sure:

The addition of the 12th game means there will be a lot more cruddy on-field action this season.

Last season, Division I-A teams played 52 games against I-AA foes. This season, that number rises to 74.

For the second season in a row, the Big 12 gets the ignominious "We're Playing the Most I-AAs" award.

Eleven league teams -- all but Oklahoma -- are playing one I-AA opponent apiece. Last season, there were eight games between Big 12 teams and I-AA foes.

The Atlantic Coast Conference is second this season, with nine games against I-AA teams.

Last season, ACC teams played just two.

The Southeastern Conference is tied for third, with eight games vs. I-AA foes. That's one more than last season.

The SEC is tied with the Big Ten, which had just two such games last season.

Interestingly, the Sun Belt and the Mid-American -- generally considered the weakest I-A conferences -- are the leagues playing the fewest games against I-AA opponents, with three each.

MAC Commissioner Rick Chryst said schools in his league were willing to play one of the 11 Big Ten schools that needed a game in October or November. Plus, the MAC has a handshake deal with the Big Ten that will bring Big Ten teams to MAC and neutral-site stadiums in September.

"We're still going to play I-AA games," Chryst said. "For us, the issue isn't to play I-AAs or not. Our first priority is to make sure each school has five home games, and if there's a possibility to have a sixth and it looks good, bring in the I-AA."

All this is not meant as an indictment of I-AA football. Heck, there probably are 15 or so I-AA programs that easily could hold their own in the non-BCS leagues and a few programs that would do as well as the bottom feeders in the BCS leagues.

But let's get serious: It's hard to get excited when Sam Houston State or Western Carolina or Nicholls State comes to town -- to name just three I-AA schools playing at BCS-league opponents this season.

In "honor" of the 12-game season, here are the 12 worst I-A/I-AA games this season:

12. Wake Forest-Liberty, Sept. 30: Wake will be coming off back-to-back road games before this sure victory. Liberty was 1-10 last season.

11. Georgia-Western Kentucky, Sept. 2: Nothing like being a top-10 contender and opening your season with a I-AA team coming off a 6-5 season.

10. Nebraska-Nicholls State, Sept. 9: Hopefully, Nicholls State' season opener against Southern Arkansas gets them ready to play the Huskers.

9. Texas Tech-Southeastern Louisiana, Sept. 23: Texas Tech played two I-AA teams last season; the number drops to one this season. Expect a ton of passes: Both teams run an offshoot of Hal Mumme's dink-and-dunk passing offense.

8. Purdue-Indiana State, Sept. 2: Purdue was a disappointment last season, but a game against the Sycamores -- 0-11 last season -- will make sure this season doesn't start off poorly.

7. Texas A&M-Citadel, Sept. 2: Aggies Coach Dennis Franchione clearly is on the hot seat, so a matchup with the Bulldogs (4-7 last season) will get the season off to a good start.

6. Penn State-Youngstown State, Sept. 16: This is the Nittany Lions' first game against a I-AA opponent since 1984, when William & Mary came calling. As solid as Youngstown State is -- the Penguins were 8-3 last season -- this game is a bad one.

5. Miami-Florida A&M, Sept. 9: This will be the fourth meeting between the schools since 1995. UM has won the past three by a combined 169-23.

4. Virginia Tech-Northeastern, Sept. 2: Northeastern was 2-9 last season. At least it'll be an easy opener for the Hokies' new quarterback, whomever it is.

3. West Virginia-Eastern Washington, Sept. 9: West Virginia thinks it can win the national title. Folks, teams that are in the national-title mix shouldn't play I-AA schools.

2. Florida-Western Carolina, Nov. 18: Western Carolina certainly isn't the worst I-AA team on this list, but the timing of this one really makes it rancid. This is a week before the Florida State game. And it'll be "Senior Day" at Florida, meaning the seniors' final home game is against a mediocre I-AA team. Weak.

1. Texas-Sam Houston State, Sept. 30: Sam Houston State went 3-7 last season, finishing tied for fifth in the seven-team Southland Conference. Texas won the I-A national title. A mismatch of epic proportions.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/loca...ports-headlines

These games are 'must avoid'

Published June 4, 2006

We won't know the ramifications of college football's 12th regular-season game until December, but one thing is for sure:

The addition of the 12th game means there will be a lot more cruddy on-field action this season.

Last season, Division I-A teams played 52 games against I-AA foes. This season, that number rises to 74.

For the second season in a row, the Big 12 gets the ignominious "We're Playing the Most I-AAs" award.

Eleven league teams -- all but Oklahoma -- are playing one I-AA opponent apiece. Last season, there were eight games between Big 12 teams and I-AA foes.

Don't forget the mismatch of "epic proportions" over Labor Day weekend involving a 1-A wannabe and the National Champions. UT has to be salvating at the thought of practice game foder that they have taken to the woodshed to the tune of 92-0 in the DD era.

The Atlantic Coast Conference is second this season, with nine games against I-AA teams.

Last season, ACC teams played just two.

The Southeastern Conference is tied for third, with eight games vs. I-AA foes. That's one more than last season.

The SEC is tied with the Big Ten, which had just two such games last season.

Interestingly, the Sun Belt and the Mid-American -- generally considered the weakest I-A conferences -- are the leagues playing the fewest games against I-AA opponents, with three each.

MAC Commissioner Rick Chryst said schools in his league were willing to play one of the 11 Big Ten schools that needed a game in October or November. Plus, the MAC has a handshake deal with the Big Ten that will bring Big Ten teams to MAC and neutral-site stadiums in September.

"We're still going to play I-AA games," Chryst said. "For us, the issue isn't to play I-AAs or not. Our first priority is to make sure each school has five home games, and if there's a possibility to have a sixth and it looks good, bring in the I-AA."

All this is not meant as an indictment of I-AA football. Heck, there probably are 15 or so I-AA programs that easily could hold their own in the non-BCS leagues and a few programs that would do as well as the bottom feeders in the BCS leagues.

But let's get serious: It's hard to get excited when Sam Houston State or Western Carolina or Nicholls State comes to town -- to name just three I-AA schools playing at BCS-league opponents this season.

In "honor" of the 12-game season, here are the 12 worst I-A/I-AA games this season:

12. Wake Forest-Liberty, Sept. 30: Wake will be coming off back-to-back road games before this sure victory. Liberty was 1-10 last season.

11. Georgia-Western Kentucky, Sept. 2: Nothing like being a top-10 contender and opening your season with a I-AA team coming off a 6-5 season.

10. Nebraska-Nicholls State, Sept. 9: Hopefully, Nicholls State' season opener against Southern Arkansas gets them ready to play the Huskers.

9. Texas Tech-Southeastern Louisiana, Sept. 23: Texas Tech played two I-AA teams last season; the number drops to one this season. Expect a ton of passes: Both teams run an offshoot of Hal Mumme's dink-and-dunk passing offense.

8. Purdue-Indiana State, Sept. 2: Purdue was a disappointment last season, but a game against the Sycamores -- 0-11 last season -- will make sure this season doesn't start off poorly.

7. Texas A&M-Citadel, Sept. 2: Aggies Coach Dennis Franchione clearly is on the hot seat, so a matchup with the Bulldogs (4-7 last season) will get the season off to a good start.

6. Penn State-Youngstown State, Sept. 16: This is the Nittany Lions' first game against a I-AA opponent since 1984, when William & Mary came calling. As solid as Youngstown State is -- the Penguins were 8-3 last season -- this game is a bad one.

5. Miami-Florida A&M, Sept. 9: This will be the fourth meeting between the schools since 1995. UM has won the past three by a combined 169-23.

4. Virginia Tech-Northeastern, Sept. 2: Northeastern was 2-9 last season. At least it'll be an easy opener for the Hokies' new quarterback, whomever it is.

3. West Virginia-Eastern Washington, Sept. 9: West Virginia thinks it can win the national title. Folks, teams that are in the national-title mix shouldn't play I-AA schools.

2. Florida-Western Carolina, Nov. 18: Western Carolina certainly isn't the worst I-AA team on this list, but the timing of this one really makes it rancid. This is a week before the Florida State game. And it'll be "Senior Day" at Florida, meaning the seniors' final home game is against a mediocre I-AA team. Weak.

1. Texas-Sam Houston State, Sept. 30: Sam Houston State went 3-7 last season, finishing tied for fifth in the seven-team Southland Conference. Texas won the I-A national title. A mismatch of epic proportions.

if they want a mismatch of epic proportions how about a dickey team vs. ut? mad.gif

Good for the Sunbelt...they are getting the idea.

Good for the Sun Belt?? BS. The 12th game addition is BS if you ask me. Let's see, the NCAA now allows one game against IAA to count toward bowl eligibility and at the same time we get a 12th game?! This is not breaking news, but 11 of the 12 Big 12 teams are filling that 12th game with a IAA squad. Pathetic....just another way to make sure that ALL of the bowls are locked up by BCS teams....maybe, just maybe the entire Big 12 will be bowl eligible this year! wink.gif

Sadly, Sam Houston will probably play UT closer than we will. And the beat goes on.

Sadly, Sam Houston will probably play UT closer than we will. And the beat goes on.

That's the attitude the football team needs to avoid. I realize it is 92-0 over the last two meetings, but they need to follow Silver's philosophy, "WE DIDN'T COME HERE TO LOSE."