Notre Dame looks for national exposure

Click Here

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame's decision to schedule a game each season at neutral sites starting in 2009 is an attempt to return the school to its independent roots.

Athletic director Kevin White said Tuesday the goal is to travel to different parts of the country and ensure that the only school with a national television contract remains a nationwide school. He said it would help recruiting and give more Fighting Irish fans a chance to see the team.

Division I football will go to a 12-game schedule for all schools beginning this season.

"I think over time we've really begun to behave like a wannabe conference member," White said. "I think it was real important for us to go back to our roots and behave more like an independent -- go back to the coach Rockne barnstorming era if you will."

The game is a sign that Notre Dame is moving further away from possibly affiliating with a conference, White said.

He said the games aren't truly neutral-site games, but home contests played away from South Bend. They will not be against what White described as "heavyweights."

"We have enough heavyweights on the schedule," he said. "We need to have a schedule that's conducive to success."

He said the university is negotiating to play in Jacksonville and Orlando, Fla., New Orleans and Dallas. The school is looking at existing bowl-game organizations to help stage the contests.

"It's really not a bad idea for Notre Dame to have relationships with lots of different entities," White said.

Some Notre Dame fans contend the team's upcoming schedules are not as tough as previous ones. White said he is not trying to put together the nation's most difficult schedule.

"We need to schedule in a way it puts us in a position to win national championships," he said. "We could have a great football team and schedule ourselves out of a championship. You can schedule yourself in, you can schedule yourself out. The last time I checked, the most important thing here is to try to win national championships."

Edited by green_goblin

I think it is a good move on their part. Notre Dame wants to cement its place on the map of college football. I mean, they have always been Notre Dame, but they used to be a travelling club. They would play in stadiums across the country, winning fans in every town and state. Some people have come to see them as another Big Ten (Eleven) team, but it is obvious they want to truly remain an independent.

I'd go see them if they came to Dallas to play a name opponent. I'd crap my pants if we could ever get a game with they at the future Jerry World in Arlington.

Could you just imagine the possibilities that would be in store for us in a game like that.

They will play a well recognized "name" team probably from a BCS conference that is likely not having a great year. Ie. not us, not Tech, not UTEP, not Texas, maybe A&M, but probably someone like SMU, Rice, or Baylor or even TCU.

They want a win and they want it against someone that has a well-known past. They have an "image" to protect. I would not surprised if they did this to maintain a presence in the area for recruiting purposes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Cotton Bowl against someone during the State Fair especially if Texas-OU leaves and decides to play home and home as treatened now.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

The only team that Notre Dame has ever played during the regular season in Dallas is SMU. They've played the Ponies 5 times with their other Dallas visits being as a participant in Cotton Bowl games.

Saw the l949 game when SMU gave them a fit before losing by a TD. Kyle Rote scored 2 or 3 TD's that day for the Ponies. ND finished the season undefeated & ranked #1.

Edited by MeanGreen61

The only team that Notre Dame has ever played during the regular season in Dallas is SMU. They've played the Ponies 5 times with their other Dallas visits being in the Cotton Bowl game.

Except for SoCal, Michigan / Michigan St. and an occasional top-10 team (to create a reputation), they like folks they can beat up on... Navy, Army, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, etc. to pad their wins.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Except for SoCal, Michigan / Michigan St.  and an occasional top-10 team (to create a reputation), they like folks they can beat up on... Navy, Army, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, etc. to pad their wins.

That's what I've observed about them. It's always a great in day in college football when ND and SMU both lose.

Except for SoCal, Michigan / Michigan St.  and an occasional top-10 team (to create a reputation), they like folks they can beat up on... Navy, Army, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, etc. to pad their wins.

They still want to play named teams. Alot of ND fans aren't too happy that Nevada is going to be making a trip to South Bend in a few years.