DRC NT to name rec center afte Pohl,also new endow

OldTimer

UNT to name rec center after Pohl

09:50 AM CDT on Saturday, May 13, 2006

University of North Texas officials announced Friday their plans to rename the university’s student recreation center after outgoing President Norval Pohl.

The UNT Foundation, the North Texas Exes and UNT’s alumni association, also an­nounced plans for a new en­dowed scholarship in Pohl’s name.

The news came at a gala event honoring Pohl, who officially leaves his post Aug. 31.

“It is most fitting that the Student Recreation Center — a building in the heart of the university campus, built to promote the physical and mental health of our students — be named for Dr. Pohl, who is widely acknowledged as the ‘student-centered’ president,” UNT Chancellor Lee Jack­son said in a news release.

In October 2000, the same month Pohl took up his duties as UNT’s 13th president, the student body approved a referendum to institute a $75 per semester fee to finance a new recreation center.

From that time forward, Pohl gave his support to every effort students made in their desire for a first-class recreation center, from concept to reality, the release said. The name change will become official at the regents’ Aug. 25 meeting.

UNT to name rec center after Pohl

“It is most fitting that the Student Recreation Center — a building in the heart of the university campus, built to promote the physical and mental health of our students — be named for Dr. Pohl, who is widely acknowledged as the ‘student-centered’ president,” UNT Chancellor Lee Jack­son said in a news release.

HEY! LJ! EVERY president should be a student centered president!!!

great for dr. pohl, he will be missed.  was it true lj was not at his gala and if so where was he?  is a rift between dr. pohl and lj the cause for him to leave?

The rumored rift may be a cause but it's more likely the rift between Pohl and the faculty over the tenure issue. Although I'm a fan of Pohl and am sorry to see him leave, It's no secret that he lost the confidence of the faculty last year over the tenure issue ( He actually narrowly lost a no-confidence vote). There are also the scandals over the new academic plan, logo-gate, and the financial scandals in various departments. None of which were Pohl's fault....but they did happen under his watch.

With all of that I think Pohl had enough of the headaches of leadership and decided to step down. Hence his eagerness to stay on at UNT in another capacity other than president.

The rumored rift may be a cause but it's more likely the rift between Pohl and the faculty over the tenure issue.   Although I'm a fan of Pohl and am sorry to see him leave,   It's no secret that he lost the confidence of the faculty last year over the tenure issue ( He actually narrowly lost a no-confidence vote).     There are also the scandals over the new academic plan,  logo-gate,  and the financial scandals in various departments.  None of which were Pohl's fault....but they did happen under his watch. 

With all of that I think Pohl had enough of the headaches of leadership and decided to step down.  Hence his eagerness to stay on at UNT in another capacity other than president.

IMO, seems like the defining moment of when things seemed to really start going south for many of us associated with UNT in whatever capacity was the day (and subsequent following months) Pohl announced his retirement. I know there were controversies involved with that, but I also don't recall the 2 (two) NT presidents I've seen in my adulthood as a student and after my graduation AND who "VERY" pro-actively supported Mean Green athletics ever left peacefully or with a majority of on-campus academian's support.

Hellsbells! They almost indicted ex NT president C.C. "Jitter" Nolen over some alleged things at the end of his tenure. We hadn't really had a pro-athletics (not just lipservice kind) NT president since Nolen left and Pohl arrived. Dr. Hurley did some great things for our school, but I don't think varsity athletics really was a prime passion of his.

No doubt that if Dr. Pohl chooses to stay on the UNT payroll and is invited to do so, he will undoubtedly hang around the Mean Green scene to be a most productive and contributing part of our alma mater. That man will not sit around and collect cobb webbs just so he can merely put in enough years to get a state of Texas retirement, that's for gol' darn sure wink.gif .

Edited by PlummMeanGreen