Slash and Burn

adman

Let's pretend for a moment that Matt Phillips comes in to fall practice and dominates. Within days it is clear he is the #1 QB. Let's also pretend that even though Phillips has solidified the #1 position Wilson has shown to be a very capable #2 and his only downfall is his newness to the system.

Considering this scenario does it make sense, based on Wilsons sheer athleticism, to have him on the field, offensively, other than QB? Could he be our version of Cordell Stewart? Run triple option pass plays etc, etc. Think about having J-Mo, Wilson AND a deep ball threat of Phillips all on the field at the same time.

Does this make sense or would you not risk injury to your #2 in case your #1 goes down?

Thoughts?

Remember who the offensive coordinator is....still? (the man is bullet-proof). I am a Darrell Dickey guy, so I will trust DD to have Flanny check his "predictable" offense at the door. I expect Phillips to be the starter unless Woody just burns the turf in two-a-days. As for the slash-type offense, We would need RF to think his job is on the line before that change would come?

Any bets on that being the case anytime soon?........I didnt think so.

GMG!!! dry.gif

If this scenario were to happen, then Meager would have to be an amazing 3rd stringer. Putting Woody and Phillips out there only increases the chance that both of them end up on the trainers table. Then we are back to Meager.

Otherwise it is an interesting idea. But lets not count out Woody for the starter. I have no preference, I just want the guy that moves the chains.

Note the word PRETEND at the beginning of the sentence.  :-)

....but you were applying it to Matt Phillips only.

I agree that having the best and most versatile athletes on the field at all times is the ideal. However, the last coach that would have seriously contemplated your "wide open offense" idea would have been Hayden Fry. And only then for a play or two.

....but you were applying it to Matt Phillips only.

I agree that having the best and most versatile athletes on the field at all times is the ideal. However, the last coach that would have seriously contemplated your "wide open offense" idea would have been Hayden Fry. And only then for a play or two.

Again, the key word was/is pretend. Feel free to insert whomever's name you like as the #1 QB. (I used Matt simply because all reports have been he has, at the moment, the best deep ball.)

How about we all agree Fry was the greatest coach ever at NT and quite possibly the best NCAA coach of all time. (Sorry Bear, John Gagliardi, Eddie Robinson)

If we agree to that will you stop with the constant lamenting on Fry and the good ole days? (Something tells me you Fry guys are the same guys, who, once a girl broke up with you, continued to call and drop by etc. etc. Face it hayden didn't love you. So he left. Get over it.)

Edited by adman

Again, the key word was/is pretend.  Feel free to insert whomever's name you like as the #1 QB.  (I used Matt simply because all reports have been he has, at the moment, the best deep ball.)

How about we all agree Fry was the greatest coach ever at NT and quite possibly the best NCAA coach of all time.  (Sorry Bear, John Gagliardi, Eddie Robinson) 

If we agree to that will you stop with the constant lamenting on Fry and the good ole days?  (Something tells me you Fry guys are the same guys, who, once a girl broke up with you, continued to call and drop by etc. etc.  Face it hayden didn't love you.  So he left.  Get over it.)

I wasn't lamenting that Fry left the program. I was just answering your question. So pay attention this time.

THE LAST COACH AT NORTH TEXAS THAT WOULD HAVE EVEN CONSIDERED YOUR IDEA OF USING BOTH PHILLIPS AND WILSON IN THE SAME BACKFIELD WOULD HAVE BEEN HAYDEN FRY. THE NEXT MOST RECENT COACH WOULD HAVE BEEN CORKY NELSON..... AND POSSIBLY DENNIS PARKER.

AGAIN, YOUR IDEA OF HAVING THE MOST TALENTED AND VERSATIVE ATHLETES IN THE SAME BACKFIELD IS INTRIGUEING AND IMAGINATIVE. BUT IMAGINATIVE IS A WORD THAT HAS NEVER BEEN USED TO DESCRIBE THE CURRENT COACHING STAFFS COACHING STYLE......AND PROBABLY NEVER WILL.

And BTW, when I was broke up with someone......it stayed that way. But unlike some people, I learned from each relationship experience, and it helped me to grow.

Hayden taught us a lot, but some people with concrete for brains refused to listen and/or incorporate the lessons.

That would be quite the concept. I know that ULM (I think) played 2 QBs at a time, with both on the field on occasion. That was pretty scary since both were good at passing, but the one that could scramble meant our D had to keep an eye on him and the other ball-carriers on the field.

I don't know if the coaches would try that out, but last year, we saw a lot more passing than we were used to. Whether or not that was by necessity or not, it was good. It would've been better if the schemes worked.

That would be as exciting as J-Mo and Patrick Cobbs in the same backfield. Could you imagine that kind of talent, in the same backfield, at the same time?

Nothing will change this year kids. How about these bold predictions.

All the best players won't be on the field.

The offense will not be "opened up."

We will struggle mightily in OOC games.

DD will make snide comments about our institution and fan base.

All of that and guess what kids, we will win the Sun Belt!

That's it for GreenFlag's bold predictions for Mean Green Football '06.

---The Pittsburgh Steelers were close to doing that.. Randle-El was a college QB and I think Steeler QB of last resort. He threw several passes last year including some TDs despite being a WR. Interesting to note, Steelers won several games....including the Super Bowl.

I don't really feel like touching the "We've got to open up this offense or so and so needs to go!" subject.

However, I do feel that you can't let an athlete like Woody Wilson ride the bench. If he can't get on the field as a QB you must put him on the field somewhere. It doesn't even have to be on the offensive end, although I don't see where he fits defensively (with 2 very solid starting safeties). Perhaps as a "slash"-type player, if he fits that mold. But it takes a VERY special player to do what Randle El and Stewart have done. I don't know if Wilson has quite THAT kind of athleticism. And if he did have those gifts, he would need to start at QB.

An interesting concept. But so was having JMo and Patrick in the same backfield at the same time and look how that worked out for us?

I expect the best QB to be on the field, as to who that will be who knows? I'm going to hold out on the fact that if a healthy DM shows to shine throughout training that he will again be the starter. As for using WW as an extra offensive weapon it just aint going to happen. There is no reason to show that it wouldn't work out but I know who is calling the offensive game plan for us. No reason to tease ourselves or "pretend", otherwise.

Speaking of offensive weapons? We don't even throw to JQ as often as we should. Look how few times we tried to get Blount the ball, who most times had the sweetest hands and moved the chains each time he touched it. I have very good reason(a confirmation in fact) to believe this will be another educational season in which we stay with our base offense until we learn to force that square peg into the round hole. We run the ball first, then pass sometime later and hope to have another top 10 defense to make up the difference.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick