Brother, Can You Spare 2 Large?

LongJim

Pooor Aggies

Excerpt:

"Last week I left you with a thought about some sobering news, which leads me to once again appeal to all of you who have not renewed your season tickets in football, or decided not to purchase football season tickets, to reconsider.

In keeping with our long-standing policy of open financial records, the news I was referring to comes from a report compiled by our business office staff, based on audited financial figures over four fiscal years, dating to September of 2003 and projecting through 2006-‘07.

For the school year 2003-’04, the athletics budget – i.e., actual expenses – stood at approximately $49.71 million. The projected budget for 2006-’07 is $61.32 million. That’s an increase of about 23.4 percent.

Here’s the sobering part and my biggest concern: the projected expenses over which we have no control for the coming year is an increase of 104 percent over the expenses in those same areas in 2003-’04 – rising from $5.2 million in 2003 to over $10.6 million in 2006-‘07.

Perhaps you saw the series that ran in the Bryan/College Station Eagle this week about expenses and the “arms race” in Division I intercollegiate athletics at the BCS level in which we compete. When our overhead expenses are rising at a rate four times more than our budget – well, you can see the conundrum.

If we don’t have a full house of fans coming to football games, we can’t pay our bills – it’s as simple as that."

I am touched and saddened by the Aggie's plight. Should we send them a collective MG love offering to help out the cause?smile.gif

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry CHRISTmas.................One of my all time "what if" wishes is "what if" that 1870's Texas legislature included a clause that would have "later on" added a northern Texas university to the Permanent University Fund? You know, a northern Texas university that would be established in the near future, like perhaps, circa 1890, for instance?;(

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

"I'm about a sympathetic to the problems of the rich, as I am to the problems of the skinny (ie...Oh my, I've gained 1lb since last year....this is terrible....my clothes will never fit now!!! ohmy.gif )".

biggrin.gif

I just find it...odd, I guess, that the AD would actually put this out for public consumption. huh.gif Talk about a budgeting issue...

One of my all time "what if" wishes is "what if" that 1870's Texas legislature included a clause that would have "later on" add a north Texas university to the Permanent University Fund?  You know, a north Texas university that would be established in the near future, like perhaps, circa 1890, for instance?

No kidding. A couple more Santa Rita's 'blowing in' would have been nice, too! tongue.gif