Rick, you made my day.

Microxot

It's a good 15 minutes up the boulevard because of all the lights.  "Close" is not a word I would use to describe the distance from Mexican Inn to the UNT-HSC.

15 minutes?!?! HUH?!? If you were in a horse and buggy or a mule team driven covered wagon then maybe 15 minutes! LOL!

UNTFan23, remember now, we are talking about the brick portion of Camp Bowie Blvd where "The Original" (not to be confused with other "Mexican Inn" locations) is located since West Camp Bowie now stretches all the way out to west Loop 820 (and then for sure with all those gol' darn traffic lights you post about).

In fact, I used to live in the neighborhood close to "The Original" (Arlington Heights), but I'll be honest, I never really clocked it from UNTHSC to that Mexican eatery, but in the "pre_Mayfest" hail-storm Audi 4000S Quatro I had when I lived there..........5 minutes easily." Now you have my curiosity up and I'll have to just go time it in the next few days! smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Best Mexican food in Tarrant Co.

Uncle Julio's

El Paseo (Jacksboro Hwy)

Mexican Inn on Camp Bowie and/or 8th Ave.

El Asadero (North Main)

'The Original" on Camp Bowie

smile.gif

Julio's--Great tortillas, ok food.

Paseo--Very good Tex-Mex. Worth the visit.

Mexican Inn--Eh. Overrated, IMO.

Some of my favorites:

Chuy's (River Oaks Blvd./IH 30 @ Channel 11/North Main)--best refried beans anywhere, tortillas made from scratch, very authentic Tex-Mex. Cheap!

Dos Molina's (25th west of N Main) Very good Tex-Mex. Huge portions. Great salsa.

Caro's (Bluebonnet Circle S of TCU) Puffy tacos, strong magarita's, ice-cold beer.

El Rancho Grande (North Main) Has slipped a bit, but their fajitas used to be some of the best in the city.

Upscale--Los Molcajetes (Western Center @ Beach) Real Mexican food w/some flourishes.

smile.gif

Paseo--Very good Tex-Mex.  Worth the visit.

Mexican Inn--Eh.  Overrated, IMO.

Some of my favorites:

Chuy's (River Oaks Blvd./IH 30 @ Channel 11/North Main)--best refried beans anywhere, tortillas made from scratch, very authentic Tex-Mex.  Cheap!

Dos Molina's (25th west of N Main) Very good Tex-Mex.  Huge portions.  Great salsa.

Caro's (Bluebonnet Circle S of TCU)  Puffy tacos, strong magarita's, ice-cold beer.

El Rancho Grande (North Main) Has slipped a bit, but their fajitas used to be some of the best in the city.

Upscale--Los Molcajetes (Western Center @ Beach) Real Mexican food w/some flourishes.

Whoops! LongJim, I forgot about El Rancho Grande on North Main (toward Billy Bob's Texas for you non-Fort Worthians). And Caro's over near Horned Frog Country as I don't get over to that neighborhood much anymore, but don't they have some most unique "puffy" chips to go with their hot sauce as I recall?

BTW, if any Mexican restraunt doesn't have good chips and hot sauce, they immediately go off my list! LOL!

smile.gif

Paseo--Very good Tex-Mex.  Worth the visit.

Mexican Inn--Eh.  Overrated, IMO.

Some of my favorites:

Chuy's (River Oaks Blvd./IH 30 @ Channel 11/North Main)--best refried beans anywhere, tortillas made from scratch, very authentic Tex-Mex.  Cheap!

Dos Molina's (25th west of N Main) Very good Tex-Mex.  Huge portions.  Great salsa.

Caro's (Bluebonnet Circle S of TCU)  Puffy tacos, strong magarita's, ice-cold beer.

With respect, they slipped a looooonnng time ago. They are now at the bottom of where ever that "slippery slope" takes you.

I left out one.....Esperanza's (owned by Joe T's and on Main st. just around the corner from Joe T's) They have great food and you can buy authenic Mexican pastries at their location.

And Caro's over near Horned Frog Country as I don't get over to that neighborhood much anymore, but don't they have some most unique "puffy" chips to go with their hot sauce as I recall? 

BTW, if any Mexican restraunt doesn't have good chips and hot sauce, they immediately go off my list!  LOL!

Right there with ya, brother! biggrin.gif Gotta have the chips and sauce goin'. laugh.gif

With respect, they slipped a looooonnng time ago. They are now at the bottom of where ever that "slippery slope" takes you.

laugh.gif

Well, I don't know if I'd put them THAT far down, but you're absolutely right about them not being what they used to be--particularly the fajitas. sad.gif

Sorry guys but I have to disagree with all of you when it comes to fajitas.  You can have the best fajitas in the world in your back yard.  Try going to the "La Michoacana" and buy already marinated fajita meat and grill it at home.  I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.  La Michoacana stores are small Latino grocery stores with a butcher shop inside of them.  There are 14 of them in Dallas, you can google it for the closest one to you. I've bought the meat and several locations they seem to all be the same. 

I have to warn you, once you have these anything else will be a dissapointment.

You are ABSOLUTELY right. My husband is from Mexico city as are his parents and they know a thing or two about real Mexican food. La Michoacana is the ONLY way to go for fajita meat. When you get it home to make it even better, let it sit in some good tequila or Mexican beer. To.Die.For.

You are ABSOLUTELY right. My husband is from Mexico city as are his parents and they know a thing or two about real Mexican food. La Michoacana is the ONLY way to go for fajita meat. When you get it home to make it even better, let it sit in some good tequila or Mexican beer. To.Die.For.

tequila is a bit expensive to use as a marinade. The beer is another story.

....and right after that they must have great guacamole! My favorite Uncle out on Camp Bowie has the best.

Bill, would that be the one "down by the school yard" (to quote part of a Paul Simon song lyric)? smile.gif

Unce Julio's swirls (a frozen margarita with a swirl of frozen sangria) aren't too bad to sip on as your party is in their holding area waiting to get seated. And as some of you would know, that can be up to 45 minutes on some nights, but well worth the wait.

Sorry guys but I have to disagree with all of you when it comes to fajitas.  You can have the best fajitas in the world in your back yard.  Try going to the "La Michoacana" and buy already marinated fajita meat and grill it at home.  I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.  La Michoacana stores are small Latino grocery stores with a butcher shop inside of them.  There are 14 of them in Dallas, you can google it for the closest one to you. I've bought the meat and several locations they seem to all be the same. 

I have to warn you, once you have these anything else will be a dissapointment.

La Michoacana has by far the best fajita meat! My friends grill just about every weekend and we all know where to buy the meat from. Good Stuff!!!

15 minutes?!?! HUH?!?  If you were in a horse and buggy or a mule team driven covered wagon then maybe 15 minutes! LOL! 

UNTFan23, remember now,  we are talking about the brick portion of Camp Bowie Blvd where "The Original" (not to be confused with other "Mexican Inn" locations) is located since West Camp Bowie now stretches all the way out to west Loop 820 (and then for sure with all those gol' darn traffic lights you post about). 

In fact, I used to live in the neighborhood close to "The Original"  (Arlington Heights), but I'll be honest, I never really clocked it from UNTHSC to that Mexican eatery, but in the "pre_Mayfest" hail-storm Audi 4000S Quatro I had when I lived there..........5 minutes easily."  Now you have my curiosity up and I'll have to just go time it in the next few days! smile.gif

The location I'm thinking of is in the same shopping center as Tom Thumb and Tuesday Morning that burned down a couple. I just know the traffic between Alta Mere/183 and 30 can be very heavy at times, so my 15 minute estimate isn't that far off.

Highway 80 ... aka Spur 580 ... aka Camp Bowie Blvd West. It's so confusing to some people when trying to give directions sometimes, cause that stretch of road has changed names 3 times the past 20 years (or so).

Man, debating Mexican food is a freakin' effort in futility. People's opinions vary wildly. I thought Tia's was the best ever until about two years ago when they changed things up. Apparently, those changes forced them out of business. Now, my favorite is Abuelo's. I've tried Christina's twice and had the same experience both times...very bland food. But, like I said, everyone had a different opinion and I know a lot of people love Christina's and don't care much for Abuelos.

On the subject of seafood in Galveston, there's a little joint in the middle of an old residential section, right in the middle of the island. It's called something like Shrimp Shack or Shimp 'N Stuff or somesuch. I highly recommend it.

The location I'm thinking of is in the same shopping center as Tom Thumb and Tuesday Morning that burned down a couple.  I just know the traffic between Alta Mere/183 and 30 can be very heavy at times, so my 15 minute estimate isn't that far off.

Highway 80 ... aka Spur 580 ... aka Camp Bowie Blvd West.  It's so confusing to some people when trying to give directions sometimes, cause that stretch of road has changed names 3 times the past 20 years (or so).

UNTFan23, I still think we are talking about 2 different restraunts as "The Original" is not far from the corner of Hulen and Camp Bowie in the Arl. Hts neighborhood and one can see UNTHSC very easily from that locale.

Now there is a Mexican Inn further west on Camp Bowie and I think that may be the one you are thinking about?

Man, debating Mexican food is a freakin' effort in futility.  People's opinions vary wildly.  I thought Tia's was the best ever until about two years ago when they changed things up.  Apparently, those changes forced them out of business.  Now, my favorite is Abuelo's.  I've tried Christina's twice and had the same experience both times...very bland food.  But, like I said, everyone had a different opinion and I know a lot of people love Christina's and don't care much for Abuelos.

On the subject of seafood in Galveston, there's a little joint in the middle of an old residential section, right in the middle of the island.  It's called something like Shrimp Shack or Shimp 'N Stuff or somesuch.  I highly recommend it.

Abuelo's is my favorite Mexican "chain" by far. Try their avocado enchiladas. I drool just thinking about them.

I think you're right, we're talking about different locations.

So which Mexican Inn is "The Original"? We inspected the one on E. Lancaster late last year before they tore it down and built the new one next door to it. While on the inspection the manager told us that building was built in 1929 and had served as a Mexican Inn since the early 40's?

My favorites of Fort Worth in no certain order.

1. Dos Molinas on NW 25st.

2. La Playa Maya on S. Hemphill and on N. Main.

3. Uncle Julios.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

So which Mexican Inn is "The Original"?  We inspected the one on E. Lancaster late last year before they tore it down and built the new one next door to it.  While on the inspection the manager told us that building was built in 1929 and had served as a Mexican Inn since the early 40's?

My favorites of Fort Worth in no certain order.

1. Dos Molinas on NW 25st.

2. La Playa Maya on S. Hemphill and on N. Main.

3. Uncle Julios.

Rick

Rick, I think "The Original" Mexican Inn folks came up with "The Original" when the other Mexican Inns started springing up around Fort Worth.

Those who owned "The Original" Mexican Inn folks wanted everyone in Cowtown to know that they were (in deed) the first one. At least that is one story I've heard on this subject.

Try the "Roosevelt Dinner" entree next time you visit "The Original."

I guess I've eaten at all the other Mexican Inn locations in FW thru the years.

PS: Red and green type in honor of the Mexican flag, of course. smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If any of you NT "Brothers" live out west, stop by Rubios and try the fish tacos and beans, chips, etc. with a bottle of Corona and you'll sing their praises! Rubio himself picked up the style down in San Felipe in Baja and has expanded outlets around the West.