Some positive stuff happening at UL-Monroe ?

MeanGreen61

From a News Star article.

(Interesting to see how their students will vote on the fee).

Money talks

Look for Louisiana-Monroe to announce soon the addition of a new scoreboard at Malone Stadium.

"We're in the final stages of signing off on everyting with the scoreboard manufacturer," ULM athletics director Bobby Staub said. "Our plans are to have that ready for the opening game."

There's also been talk of an artificial playing surface too. It's still too early to call that one a done deal, although an effort is being made to raise money for the project.

ULM could gain a big financial boost this week "if the student body is willing. Students can vote this week to add a $50 fee for each fall and spring semester, with the funds going to the athletics department, the Student Success Center, the 31 Ambassadors, the SGA and the spirit groups. Of the $50, $20 would be earmarked for ULM athletics. Staub estimated an annual boost of $350,000 for the department to help modernize athletic facilities, improve compliance and improve maintenance and general upkeep.

"The other projects will come out of our strategic plan," Staub said. "This student fee will factor into that, to see what we can do and the timeline."

He added, "There are a lot of things from a facility standpoint that we need to turn our attention to. I think our strategic plan will identify those areas.

From a News Star article.

(Interesting to see how their students will vote on the fee).

Money talks

Look for Louisiana-Monroe to announce soon the addition of a new scoreboard at Malone Stadium.

"We're in the final stages of signing off on everyting with the scoreboard manufacturer," ULM athletics director Bobby Staub said. "Our plans are to have that ready for the opening game."

There's also been talk of an artificial playing surface too. It's still too early to call that one a done deal, although an effort is being made to raise money for the project.

ULM could gain a big financial boost this week "if the student body is willing. Students can vote this week to add a $50 fee for each fall and spring semester, with the funds going to the athletics department, the Student Success Center, the 31 Ambassadors, the SGA and the spirit groups. Of the $50, $20 would be earmarked for ULM athletics. Staub estimated an annual boost of $350,000 for the department to help modernize athletic facilities, improve compliance and improve maintenance and general upkeep.

"The other projects will come out of our strategic plan," Staub said. "This student fee will factor into that, to see what we can do and the timeline."

He added, "There are a lot of things from a facility standpoint that we need to turn our attention to. I think our strategic plan will identify those areas.

Once upon a time we had this chance sad.gif

so, can we not propose a "new stadium" fee maybe for two semesters from the student body. obviously there would have to be a vote for the student body  to ok the idea, but is something like that possible?

GMG!!!

Anything is up for vote if SGA puts it on the ballot, but considering that there are bigger "fishes" to fry for SGA right now I am sure if it was on their agenda it's pretty low. Right now with the constant yearly increase in tuition, I think right now SGA would be pretty hard pressed to get support for increasing Athletic fees.

Anything is up for vote if SGA puts it on the ballot, but considering that there are bigger "fishes" to fry for SGA right now I am sure if it was on their agenda it's pretty low. Right now with the constant yearly increase in tuition, I think right now SGA would be pretty hard pressed to get support for increasing Athletic fees.

I agree. We really had a good opportunity for passing the vote a few years ago before the huge increases in tuition. It barely got rejected last time, but now it might be even more rejected by the students. We even had students here on the board saying that they weren't sure if a stadium would be worth the money for them to spend each semester. I really figured we could pass that election on the backs of athletes alone.