FW*Telegram NT planning to build on progress

OldTimer

Also...the museum was in the basement of the Historical Building, so I don't see how it could have ever had a swimming pool down there.

Well, it's been empty for quite some time, but if you look at the room from the entrance, it definitely looks like there was something there.

Guest GrayEagleOne

GrayEagleOne...Not the History Building, the Historical Building. We used to refer to it as the Hysterical Building, because it was so old, even in the late 60's.

Right you are, Ibleedgreen. It was also referred to as the 'Hysterical Building' in the 40s. I think that it was built in the late 20s or early 30s.

Another building that I realize that is older than Fouts is the Information Sciences Building (formerly the library) which was built in the 40s. Of course, it has been updated and completely refurbished since the usage changed.

Right you are, Ibleedgreen.  It was also referred to as the 'Hysterical Building' in the 40s.  I think that it was built in the late 20s or early 30s. 

Another building that I realize that is older than Fouts is the Information Sciences Building (formerly the library) which was built in the 40s.  Of course, it has been updated and completely refurbished since the usage changed.

Curry Hall (previously Historical Building) was the first Library Building on campus. I'm not sure where the confusion of this with the President's Home came from.

As far as I know, only two locations on campus have served as the President's Home. One was on the site that was originally the location of the Normal Building, and current site of Hickory Hall (previously the Industrial Arts or Engineering Technology Building). The other President's home was the building known later as the Advancement Center, which is now the site of the Gateway Center.

Buildings older than Fouts include the Auditorium Building, Curry Hall, Terrell Hall, Marquis Hall, Chilton Hall, Bruce Hall, Information Sciences Building, Men's Gym (now the Ken Bahnsen Gym?), Women's Gym (Scoular Hall), and Masters Hall. Although, most of these buildings have received extensive renovations at some more recent time that cannot be compared to the "cosmetic" changes that Fouts has received.

Curry Hall (previously Historical Building) was the first Library Building on campus. I'm not sure where the confusion of this with the President's Home came from.

Speaking of Curry there is a building nestled behind it, the Auditorium etc. It looks to be some sort of systems operations building with chillers etc. at the back of it is a tall spire like object. What is it? A former incinerator. If so does anyone know it if still works?

Lee Jackson has publicly stated that he is not a sports fan.  Some on this board equate that to being anti-athletics.  Also there is logo-gate'05, (there's nothing wrong with the new logo,  I think most have come to like it)  however the way the logo release and design process were handled was a PR disaster. 

Ah, dear logo-gate. The whole PR end was ugly from the supposed summer student survey to the spring semester survey (that was probably ignored) to the grand-size marketing campaign I have yet to see in full swing.

I can't say how much it bothers me to see a Midwestern State billboard on I35E when we should have at least 2 since we're so close, we're a bigger school, and the admin did blow big horns about their marketing campaign.

I hope someone is pursuing a corporate sponsor or two for the new field.

No other event on campus brings more alumni back to Denton more than the football games.  Each year this event is NT's greatest opportunity to bring back alumni and cultivate their support and money, and it happens 5 times a year.  That is why building a state-of-the-art football stadium and complex should be the university's most crucial goal at this time. 

If you want to recruit the nation's top music students?  Have Dr. Scott host them and their parents in one of the universities new suites during a game while showing off our talent on the field with the Mean Green Brigade.  Same thing for journalism majors, business majors etc.  While their here, bring in some of our Pulitzer prize winning professors and others who have reached great strides in their carreers, introduce them during the game and let them hear the cheers of appreciation from thousands. 

NT's people have earned some fantastic accomplishments over the years.  We should be screaming them from the rooftops as often as we can and a brand new venue that would draw in a television audience now and then would be the perfect stage to do it  from.  It's a no brainer in my oppinion.

Rick

Great post, Rick, and one that needs to be read by every part of the NT community.