How big will the crowd be for SMU?

meangreen11

Well, if North Texas and SMU both wear their "I didn't come here to lose" t-shirts under their uni's during their opening games, then the results could be encouraging enough for fans on both sides to come out in record numbers for the game at Fouts. Under the above mentioned circumstances.....sell-out and SRO.

If not, then I tend to agree with LongJim and others......27.5K

And what if.............SMU beats Tech the week before?  They nearly pulled it off in '04 and there was a bit of a brew ha at the end between the two coaches.  I think Tech passed the ball at the last minute to punch in an extra score in which SMU took offense to.  I can imagine SMU has had their rematch circled and will be looking for an upset.  If that happens their supporters will show up well in Denton.

Excellent point! I didn't realize they played Tech to start the year. That could very well be an SMU upset. I never pull for them to win any games, but that sure would help the atmosphere for our game with them.....so, GO smu??....man, I feel dirty having typed that!

I was there and still have a copy of that game somewhere?  Forest Gregg was their coach and they were just in their second year back from the death penalty and the SMU faithful were excited to see the Pony Express return.  Considering that they had beaten us 35-9 the year before at SMU,  we stood as their best chance to get back on track after two straight losses the previous weeks to TCU and Tulane.  The estimated crowd was 23,000 but there was much more than that as people were having to be asked on both sides of the stadium to clear aisles and walk ways.  There were some arrests on the student side as well due to problems resulting from overcrowding.  SMU brought a decent crowd with them that night and if I were to guess I would say between 4,000 to 6,000. 

4-6k would be a good away crowd. If they beat Tech, that is a realistic number for them to hit this time around. I know I'm working on a few office-mates of mine that are SMU grads...they are reluctant to come, but the insults are starting to get to them...

After being demolished by Tech 58-10 in Lubbock in the 0-12 season, SMU brought about 3,000 to Waco to see SMU @ Baylor. If we get knocked around, I'd expect similar #'s. If we do well or (though I'm not expecting it) win, I'd expect that # to double and then some.

Attendance last year was so bizarre at SMU.. the Baylor game was pretty poorly attended by SMU. The TCU crowd grew at half-time, and even moreso in the 4th quarter when people could just walk in... the Tulane game had the Houston/New Orleans hurricane and Dallas storm around but still managed about 1/2 capacity.

Then ECU... see what losing 2-3 games in a row does to SMU... perfect football day, winnable opponent. Nobody there...

But what was interesting was that Homecoming was a decent sized crowd (against Rice), and it was nearly all SMU fans. SMU fans filled up half the stadium. Which considering we were 2-6 at that point, I was surprised. We beat Tulsa, and then the UTEP game was actually a decent crowd.

I think the older SMU fans are scared to get excited at the beginning of the season, and the younger fans and students get excited and are easily let down. So you've got both of those factors playing on each other at this point in Bennett's tenure.

I think it'll be a great game. No longer in TX, but wish I could make it. Of course I will be pulling for SMU.. but hope that the game is well fought by both teams and officiated fairly, and hope neither team suffers any injuries.

This is the best I've ever felt about SMU football since stepping foot on campus in August of 2001.

Best of luck this season except for the SMU/UNT game!

SouthernStang still exists!! I had not seen a post from him in forever. He is absolutely ruining my terrible image of SMU folks.

If the weather cooperates, the game will be a sell out.

Hello TI-green-01!! Long-time no see. I hope to "appear" more often in the "plex" when fall gets here.

SouthernStang still exists!!  I had not seen a post from him in forever.  He is absolutely ruining my terrible image of SMU folks. 

If the weather cooperates, the game will be a sell out.

Hello TI-green-01!!  Long-time no see.  I hope to "appear" more often in the "plex" when fall gets here.

Well, I hadn't seen too many posts bashing SMU by you, so I've been trying to fill in the void...not very well, though! I agree, though....SouthernMustang is making it difficult to call those SMU bums names...well, kind of! laugh.gif

Guest e-bone

I'm optimistic that the AD will promote this game and that it will sell out. The big marquee next to Fouts and 35 has been showing the game date for the past couple of weeks, so it is obviously on the minds of those in the AD.