Don't Think Coaches Are Salesmen of Their Programs

UNTLifer

The new coach at Rice, Todd Graham, has been on the job a little over 3 months and is responsible for raising $3 million for his program. Interesting concept, a personable coach with a positive attitude making a difference.

LSU head coach Les Miles and AD Skip Bertman are in Houston speaking to a group of alumni. This is part of Miles and Bertman's annual tour visiting with the alumni giving an update and selling the program.

Would love to see this at NT.

I don't know where you have been Lifer, but we have a different philosophy at North Texas. Have the head coach bad mouth the fans to get them agitated into a reaction. I personally like those F###ers comments best.

I wonder how that is working for us?

In some fairness to DD I found it very moving that he and most if not all his assistant coaches made it to the entire GMG Bowl III this year along with RV and several players. I don't know whose idea it was but it does help my goodwill some, I figure RV had something to do with it.

I don't know where you have been Lifer, but we have a different philosophy at North Texas. Have the head coach bad mouth the fans to get them agitated into a reaction. I personally like those F###ers comments best.

I wonder how that is working for us?

In some fairness to DD I found it very moving that he and most if not all his assistant coaches made it to the entire GMG Bowl III this year along with RV and several players. I don't know whose idea it was but it does help my goodwill some, I figure RV had something to do with it.

Now if that can translate from hobknobbing with 50-100 fans to the 300,000 within a 4 hour drive of Denton.

Now if that can translate from hobknobbing with 50-100 fans to the 300,000 within a 4 hour drive of Denton.

---Might help if he were "Hobnobbing" with 50-300 fans at some country clubs with multi-million dollar members. Especially some at the 19th hole who want an ego trip and a stadium named for them. Perhaps buying coaches memberships at these places would help some. The increased "revenue" might dwarf the cost.

---Do you think Mack Brown and UT does this???

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---Might help if he were  "Hobnobbing" with 50-300 fans at some country clubs with multi-million dollar members.  Especially some at the 19th hole who want an ego trip and a stadium named for them. Perhaps buying  coaches memberships at these places would help some. The increased "revenue" might dwarf the cost.

I would say 90% of the coaches in 1A and 1-AA do this and obviously UNT is in the 10% who just do not get it.

I know he does. they have never had as many season ticket sales as they have since Mack has been there. I think UT has always had a pretty marketable product, they just needed that guy to send it through the roof. It has worked well.

NT has a pretty good product as well. Its one of the best colleges in the state that no one has heard of. Athletics would be a great way to change that. just a thought (or beaten dead horse)

Guest JohnDenver

My UT and A&M coworkers EVERY YEAR buy tickets for $100 a head to go see their coaches speak. This is in Dallas, but it also travels to major cities. It is a way to raise money and raise interest in the year coming up. So yes, I do know for certain that Mack does this...

I know that Dickey wouldn't draw a crowd at all if he did this. It would take time to get the ball rolling and gather momentum. I fully believe that after **eight years** and four bowl games that people would be going to a Dickey dinner-speaking engagement already. We shouldn't be in the positino of having to start from scratch after having a coach for this many years.

Patterson holds his signing day press conference at Colonial.

He is also often seen in the Mens Locker room having lunch with his kid and having drinks in the lounge.

Dont know what kind of clientelle Denton CC has, but I would guess Dickey and RV have memberships, if not they should.