ASU's Spring Scrimmage

Went to the ASU scrimmage Saturday and while the scrimmage part was just for fun but they had an intense situational type scrimmage to start and that part showed a lot. Exceptional team speed is what stood out.

Most of the talk at the scrimmage was about getting a QB back that had switched his commit to Alabama on signing day a couple of seasons ago, then went the pro baseball route. Some were saying he committed to ASU this week and if that is true it might take some of the sting out of the last minute switch to Miami by another QB commit this year. They need another QB in the mix.

As for the QB’s actually on the team, Leonard and Hewitt, both are athletic, with good and accurate arms and are above average runners. Leonard in fact appears to be an outstanding runner and may be making a strong push to start. Both are pretty cool operators but practice is not the same as a game so the jury is out on this position.

Look for ASU to try and follow in the footsteps of those four UNT teams that won SBC titles by focusing on running the ball, even when the other side knows they are going to. Their OL and the quality of their defense may enable them to do it. Easely and Arnold are as good or better than last year’s running backs (Warren and Bracey) but not sure anything is behind them.

The Defense, headed by an exceptional group of linebackers and safeties, is simply outstanding. Not many teams in America have better talent at those positions and I look for them to be ranked among Americas best units in the preseason magazines. Williams may be the best player in the league.

Good luck this year and let’s hope that ASU and UNT make a run at the top this year. Both are a lot better than last year so I think both will be a load for the other SBC teams.

The Defense, headed by an exceptional group of linebackers and safeties, is simply outstanding. Not many teams in America have better talent at those positions and I look for them to be ranked among Americas best units in the preseason magazines. Williams may be the best player in the league.

Let's tap the brakes a little on this statement. This is the same group that gave up 45 to MUTS, 36 to ULaLa, 38 to Army, 44 to Mizzou and worst of all, 24 to us.

I'll grant you that it is a good Sunbelt defense, though.

Not really a kiss-up intended here, but ASU looked pretty good last year. Some of us went to the Bowl Game in Lafayette and that ASU team put up a real fight. My only question about your team coming back is in the secondary. Front line was already good, and you've got a really quick LB in Josh Williams. I also read he got kicked off of the team, but is trying to walk back on? Defensive from seven is decent, however, your corners had issues all year... and it showed in the bowl game that your opponents had watched ASU game film. I think both of our teams are better this year.. we sure cant do much worse? I also saw some good things from the Ragin Cajuns last year, so we could have a three-way race for the top spot.

Good luck to the ASU guys, and let's hope your corners and our QB play both improve this year. (the ASU fans at the Bowl game were awsome, and fun to be out there with)

GMG!!!

, your corners had issues all year... and it showed in the bowl game that your opponents had watched ASU game film. I think both of our teams are better this year.. we sure cant do much worse? I also saw some good things from the Ragin Cajuns last year, so we could have a three-way race for the top spot.

Good luck to the ASU guys, and let's hope your corners and our QB play both improve this year. (the ASU fans at the Bowl game were awsome, and fun to be out there with)

GMG!!!

My dream for the Sun Belt is that it becomes a battle for supremacy every year between all of the teams, but only because we're all good enough teams to win consistently out of conference as well (at least against the MAC's, WAC's, CUSA's of the world). If the winner of the Sun Belt could average 7-9 wins a year and not have 6 of those wins come in conference then I think we'd be in pretty good shape.

Edited by emmitt01

josh williams was freshman all-american in 2004. he didn't play in 2005 cause he got hot headed and was kicked off the team. he is back on the team this year and fighting for his job back. CFN said he might be the best LB in the country. the corner that got burned in the NO Bowl was a true freshman playing do to injuries. we our loaded at corner this year and are 3 deep at all DB positions. this will be the battle of defenses in the SUNBELT this year.