2 lost QB's week before we beat the Vols!

We lost Ken Smith and Ken Washington in a 15-12 loss at Missisippi State in Starkville, the week before Hayden Fry and the Mean Green would face the SEC's Tennessee Volunteers at their homecoming game in Neyland Stadium. The Dallas Times Herald did not even send a writer to cover the game! We were 40 point underdogs. The Knowville paper was sying the only way we stay with 4 TDs of the Vols, would be to pas-pass-pass, and pray!

I asked Coach Fry, the night beofre the game at the team hotel restaurant..."Coach, how are we going to stay on the field with Tennessee tomorrow?" Hayden replied, "Rick, things are not always as they seem."

He devised an unbalanced line, played defense and ran the ball on offense. NT actually led, 14-7 at halftime, and the Vol fans booed them off the field.

Sears Woods would score all 3 TD's for The Mean Green that day, the last a 98 yard kickoff return for the winning TD! For his effort, Sears was named Sports Illustrated Back of The Week. Hayden was AP National Coach of the week!

North Texas won 21-14 that great day in Knoxville.

It proves injuries and replacements are not always the reason for a loss!

Go! Mean Green!!!!

We lost Ken Smith and Ken Washington in a 15-12 loss at Missisippi State in Starkville, the week before Hayden Fry and the Mean Green would face the SEC's Tennessee Volunteers at their homecoming game in Neyland Stadium. The Dallas Times Herald did not even send a writer to cover the game! We were 40 point underdogs. The Knowville paper was sying the only way we stay with 4 TDs of the Vols, would be to pas-pass-pass, and pray!

I asked Coach Fry, the night beofre the game at the team hotel restaurant..."Coach, how are we going to stay on the field with Tennessee tomorrow?" Hayden replied, "Rick, things are not always as they seem."

He devised an unbalanced line, played defense and ran the ball on offense. NT actually led, 14-7 at halftime, and the Vol fans booed them off the field.

Sears Woods would score all 3 TD's for The Mean Green that day, the last a 98 yard kickoff return for the winning TD! For his effort, Sears was named Sports Illustrated Back of The Week. Hayden was AP National Coach of the week!

North Texas won 21-14 that great day in Knoxville.

It proves injuries and replacements are not always the reason for a loss!

Go! Mean Green!!!!

You forgot to mention who was leading the team. I'm guessing that it was Glenn Ray. He and Ken Smith were transfers. One of them transfered from Nebraska.

You forgot to mention who was leading the team. I'm guessing that it was Glenn Ray. He and Ken Smith were transfers. One of them transfered from Nebraska.

Glenn Ray, Midland High graduate, was the QB for NT. North Texas has had a lot of Midland/Odessa players on winning teams. We need to recruit West Texas more. The last Midland player was Andy Brewster who started for 4 years. West Texas kids don't like losing and don't accept it well. Every bowl team had several Midland kids and even the game when we defeat Tech had the Pertile brothers plus another one. I think Ray did attend Nebraska one year.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Glenn Ray, Midland High graduate, was the QB for NT.  North Texas has had a lot of Midland/Odessa players on winning teams.  We need to recruit West Texas more. The last Midland player was Andy Brewster who started for 4 years.  West Texas kids don't like losing and don't accept it well.  Every bowl team had several Midland kids and even the game when we defeat Tech had the Pertile brothers plus another one. I think Ray did attend Nebraska one year.

Glenn Ray was a Stanton High School grad. Stanton is just outside of Midland . smile.gif I coached him there in 1969.