George may be gone

meangreen11

The Ticket just reported that Babe Laufenberg has resigned as color analyst for the Cowboys. No replacement yet named but I'll tell you George Dunham may get that job. It would make me sick to lose George from the Mean Green Network. It would be an honor for him to be named. If George leaves I would like them to bring in a former player maybe Scott Hall to call the games and join Hank.

I know a soon to be grad that would be prefect for the job on trhe MGN....He is studying in Sports broadcasting and has a passion for the Mean Green....

His name is UNT_92_Fan....He has a killer resume and graduates in 30 days from today....I bet he is good

Is this UNT_92 you speak of, possess the cohones to ask DD the tough questions after humiliating OOC losses? If so, hire him!! biggrin.gif

The Ticket just reported that Babe Laufenberg has resigned as color analyst for the Cowboys.  No replacement yet named but I'll tell you George Dunham may get that job.  It would make me sick to lose George from the Mean Green Network.  It would be an honor for him to be named.  If George leaves I would like them to bring in a former player maybe Scott Hall to call the games and join Hank.

You know, if Babe resigned just cuz they are on the ticket now, who cares? I don't know who thought he would be a good fit anyhow. Norm and Brad would be killer IMO.

One of the best radio voices next to Craig Way that I have heard in many years is our very own WeatherfordMeanGreen...aka Brent Baker. He has been in the business for many years and has run a local radio show called "The End Zone" on friday nights on the QXFM station that is fun and entertaining to listen to. Some of you may know Brent from school or at the games. I have asked him before that if the opportunity were to ever come up would he please put his name into the hat to become the new voice of Mean Green athletics. He's a busy guy but it would be well worth the effort to get such a professional on board. Here's his bio off the KYQX station website.

Brent Baker

Rick

Where to start. Firstly, I would be stunned if George got the Cowboy job this time around. He's good and might grow into the job, but he's not ready yet.

"Color man" for the Cowboys is almost never an ex-jock. Look back at the announcing teams, not counting the temporary ones.

Pay-by-pay/analysis

Brad Sham/Babe Laufenberg

Brad Sham/Dale Hansen

Vern Lundquist/Brad Sham

Bill Mercer/Vern Lundquist

Bill Mercer/Blackie Sherod

You'll notice it was a top radio guy paired with a TV announcer, until Babe. And Babe became a TV guy shortly after he got the job. Look for a TV guy. I doubt Hansen is coming back, but with Jerry Jones you never say never!

And, Brent would be a great announcer for the Mean Green.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Where to start. Firstly, I would be stunned if George got the Cowboy job this time around. He's good and might grow into the job, but he's not ready yet.

"Color man" for the Cowboys is almost never an ex-jock. Look back at the announcing teams, not counting the temporary ones.

Pay-by-pay/analysis

Brad Sham/Babe Laufenberg

Brad Sham/Dale Hansen

Vern Lundquist/Brad Sham

Bill Mercer/Vern Lundquist

Bill Mercer/Blackie Sherod

You'll notice it was a top radio guy paired with a TV announcer, until Babe. And Babe became a TV guy shortly after he got the job. Look for a TV guy. I doubt Hansen is coming back, but with Jerry Jones you never say never!

And, Brent would be a great announcer for the Mean Green.

You may be right regarding radio color commentators. I was thinking primarily of TV. EVERY ONE of the TV color commentators today either played or coached in the NFL. Color men are:

John Madden

Ron Pitts

Brian Baldinger

Bill Maas

Cris Collinsworth

Troy Aikman

Daryl Johnston

Dan Dierdorf

Randy Cross

Phil Simms

Joe Thiesman

Paul Maguire

Beasley Reece

Jerry Glanville

Tim Green

Steve Tasker

Kelly Stouffer

Brent Jones

Solomon Wilcots

Unless I'm in the car, I don't listen to the Cowboys on radio. So, I don't recall radio color commentators except for the Rangers' Tom Grieve, who is an ex-player. But I also recall that Norm Hitzges also did color for the Rangers, and he wasn't.

Craig Way is not that great! UNT alum yes! Longhorn homer yes! But pick 2 sports not all of Longhorn everything...too much! Overkill on his voice.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Yes he's a homer when good things happen for UT...but he NEVER EVER gets defeated when things happen against the Longhorns. He is the most completely prepared and knowledgable broadcaster I have ever heard. His basketball pbp is only rivaled in my mind by Mark Fallowill. His football play by play is better than anyone out there. His voice isn't the best and he loses it easily but far makes up for it in prep and knowledge.

I disagree wholeheartedly.  Yes he's a homer when good things happen for UT...but he NEVER EVER gets defeated when things happen against the Longhorns. He is the most completely prepared and knowledgable broadcaster I have ever heard.  His basketball pbp is only rivaled in my mind by Mark Fallowill.  His football play by play is better than anyone out there.  His voice isn't the best and he loses it easily but far makes up for it in prep and knowledge.

Craig Way can make even the most humdrum HS game worth listening to. I wish there were more like him. My brother went to school w/Fallowill, and said he was a walking book of statistics even then. Frustrated athlete, too. tongue.gif