Will 1A Attendance Rule Be Enforced?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

IF the NCAA enforces the Division 1A attendance rule (as they said they would) then as many as 15 teams and as many as four conferences might have to do some reshuffling.

Here are the schools that did not reach 15,000 in 2005 and are supposed to be required to obtain that number in 2006 or no longer be considered 1A:

Temple - Independent (Joins MAC in 2006)

Eastern Michigan - MAC

Akron - MAC

Buffalo - MAC

Kent State - MAC

Bowling Green - MAC

Ball State - MAC

Middle Tennessee - Sun Belt

Louisiana-Monroe - Sun Belt

Rice - CUSA

New Mexico State - WAC

Utah State - WAC

San Jose State - WAC

ALSO

Florida Atlantic - Sun Belt

Tulane - CUSA

MID-AMERICA CONFERENCE

Five of their 12 teams missed the 15,000 mark by more than 2,000. Three of those five averaged less than 10,000. Bowling Green missed by less than a hundred and is probably safe for next year. Buffalo will have a new coach next year and could dodge the bullet although they only averaged 8,914 last year. Ball State averaged 12,953 last year and will probably find a way to reach the minimum in 2006. Temple, already dumped by the Big East for low attendance, joins this fall, after averaging 12,735 as an independent.

The rest are in serious jeopardy. Eastern Michigan had the lowest season average this past year and is historically in the bottom three. Kent State seldom averages more than ten thousand and this year it was less than seven. Akron has historically been in the 10-12,000 range with good teams.

Summary: The MAC should lose two teams after this year. They could lose as many as five, which is their maximum to retain their rights as a viable, voting conference.

SUN BELT

Middle Tennessee is the only full member that missed the 15,000 and they only missed by 474. With a new coach and enthusiasm, I think that they are fine for 2006. ULM missed by less than 400 and, I beleive, that the Arkansas game will count as a home game for them next year. Still, they lose their all-comference quarterback and they are not a slam dunk, even with the Arkansas numbers. Reclassifying member Florida Atlantic also missed by less than a thousand as I understand it. I don't know if that will affect their certification, or not.

Summary: Depending on the ruling on Florida Atlantic, the Sun Belt would seem safe for another year. If FAU is denied certification as 1A then we will have to play with seven teams (and not be recognized as a voting conference), add an Appalachian State, Georgia Southern or Western Kentucky, or merge with another conference (WAC or MAC).

WESTERN ATHLETIC

San Jose State is a very weak sister and in serious jeopardy of losing 1A status. They only missed by 2,500 but this was one of their better years lately. Utah State and New Mexico State had better have already started a campaign to get back to where they have been attendance-wise. Both are normally around 20,000 and I thought that this conference was to be the answer to their attendance prayers.

Summary: I'm ready to color San Jose State gone. However, I do look for both New Mexico State and Utah State to rebound. Still, if they lose SJSU that will put them at eight teams, the bare minimum.

CONFERENCE USA

Technically, they had two teams on the list but surely the NCAA would not fault Tulane, since they didn't really have a true home field. They still missed by less than 800, with their student body scattered hither and yon. Rice could be another matter. They have a new coach so I would assume that the administration will support the program another two or three years, even if they have to give away season tickets. If they haven't gained the support in that time, then they may pull the plug.

Summary - Both Tulane and Rice will make the grade and no change necessary in 2007.

Who knows if this rule will ever be enforced? In my opinion, it should be. Otherwise, let's do away with all of the other requirements and open it up to one and all, regardless how popular their program may be.

The teeth have pretty much been knocked out of what was once going to be a pretty stringent set of rules regarding attendance. I can't remember all of the specifics, but it's something like the following:

If a team misses 15K in ACTUAL or PAID attendance in any given season, then they have ten years going forward to average 15K or higher in any one of those years to start with a clean slate.

Regardless of whether or not that's exactly how it works, attendance really isn't much of an issue anymore.

"CONFERENCE USA

Technically, they had two teams on the list but surely the NCAA would not fault Tulane, since they didn't really have a true home field. They still missed by less than 800, with their student body scattered hither and yon. Rice could be another matter. They have a new coach so I would assume that the administration will support the program another two or three years, even if they have to give away season tickets. If they haven't gained the support in that time, then they may pull the plug."

First, Tulane will not be penalized due to the devestation of the hurricanes. But, to state that they only missed the mark by 800 is an out and out lie. They reported over 15K for the game in Lafayette, and there weren't even 10K there. Ditto for games in Ruston. The only way these numbers are even close is if they counted "paid attendance".