Take the Train to Austin

SilverEagle

Out of curiosity, I went to the Amtrak site to see if it would be possible to take the train to and from Austin this year. Well, for those living in the DFW area (and several points between DFW and Austin) it is.

As of today, you can take the train down and back for $46.

A train ride to Austin and back with rowdy North Texas fans might be fun.

Assuming that you're interested, check the schedule for yourself.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...Amtrak/HomePage

Out of curiosity, I went to the Amtrak site to see if it would be possible to take the train to and from Austin this year. Well, for those living in the DFW area (and several points between DFW and Austin) it is.

As of today, you can take the train down and back for $46.

A train ride to Austin and back with rowdy North Texas fans might be fun.

Assuming that you're interested, check the schedule for yourself.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...Amtrak/HomePage

What a great idea!! Thanks for the info.

We plan on bringing 6 to Austin for the game. A train would be a nice change of pace rather than driving. We would be interested in joining other Mean Green fans on the train ride. Before booking reservations I will await further developments

Hmm. 

Q: What's worse than a 4-hour car ride home after a 65-0 blowout in Austin?

A: A 6-hour train ride home after a 65-0 blowout in Austin.

Then don't participate.

And BTW, Amtrak estimates that it's a 4:20 ride. MapQuest estimates (under ideal circumstances) that the drive from downtown Ft Worth to 6th St. in Austin is three hours. Even if Amtrak takes longer than 4:20, it's better than driving on I-35 during the Labor day week-end.

I've sent an e-mail to Amtrak asking the questions that UNTBill posed.

BTW(2) this particular train route is called the "Texas Eagle".

Edited by SilverEagle

Here is Amtrak's response.

Dear William Covert,

Thank you for contacting us.

There are many variables involved in quoting group fares and approving group travel. Amtrak Group rates are available for parties of 20 or more passengers traveling together. For information, please visit:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...am2Copy&ssid=66

You can e-mail our Group Sales department at GroupSales@Amtrak.com. Or, contact our group desk by phone at 1-800-872-1477 for specific information for your group. Hours of operation are 9 am to 9 pm (ET), Monday through Friday.

We look forward to assisting you.

Sincerely,

Yola

Amtrak Customer Service

Assuming that enough people are interested, this sounds like something that the Dallas/Tarrant County Exes might want to coordinate. wink.gif

Hmm. 

Q: What's worse than a 4-hour car ride home after a 65-0 blowout in Austin?

A: A 6-hour train ride home after a 65-0 blowout in Austin.

While nothing hurts like a 65-0 blowout (except maybe a 77-0 in 3 quarters to a conference mate), I have found that going down to 6th or 4th street after the game and using some Jagermeister on that wounded pride tends to relieve some of the pain and can actually help make for an enjoyable evening. Sure did for me a couple years ago, and I see no reason why it wouldnt work again, in the event such a disaster took place... tongue.gif

Interesting idea, but appears to have a couple potential snags.

First, assume the game is Saturday night Sept. 2 at 7pm (and always subject to TV time/day changes).

The train from Dallas leaves daily to AUS at 1:40pm and arrives at 8:20pm, thus a Friday night arrival is needed. Add hotel/game transfers and 2 hotel nights.

Next, the return would be Sunday at 10:30am returning at 4:20pm to Dallas. However, the guide to the AUS location says that station is closed Saturdays and Sundays so not sure how that would work out.

Plus, this is Amtrak, a holiday weekend, and multi-thousands of Whorn fans needing transfers, hotels and travel too. Prime makings for a snafu. Still it could be fun.

Edited by NT80

Interesting idea, but appears to have a couple potential snags. 

First, assume the game is Saturday night Sept. 2 at 7pm (and always subject to TV time/day changes). 

The train from Dallas leaves daily to AUS at 1:40pm and arrives at 8:20pm, thus a Friday night arrival is needed.  Add hotel/game transfers and 2 hotel nights. 

Next, the return would be Sunday at 10:30am returning at 4:20pm to Dallas.  However, the guide to the AUS location says that station is closed Saturdays and Sundays so not sure how that would work out.

Plus, this is Amtrak, a holiday weekend, and multi-thousands of Whorn fans needing transfers, hotels and travel too.  Prime makings for a snafu.  Still it could be fun.

Yes, going Amtrak won't be an option for people who want to go and come back on the same day. In the past there have been many fans who went down on Friday and didn't come back until Sunday.

As to the station being closed, I will e-mail their customer service and ask about that situation. The Station is located at 250 N. Lamar, which makes it walking distance from 6th street. People staying in the 6th street area can walk to the station....and to their Hotels if they are staying on 6th......or close by.

All of the Hotels and most of the Motels have a shuttle/van service that can take you to the station......and pick you up from there as well.

When I was at NTSU (UNT) the college "chartered" a train to Wichita State for a football game.  The next year a train was chartered to Waco (Baylor) for a basketball game.

My Grandfather was a "Coppersmith" with the T&P railroad. The family lived in Marshall before the T&P moved it's "yard" operation to Texarkana. He told me that one time the T&P ran a "special" train from Marshall to Texarkana for one of the big rivalry football games between the two towns. He said that the train was completely full.

Did you take either of those trains (Wichita or Baylor)? If so, how was the experience.......spirit wise.

Edited by SilverEagle

But what about game tickets? Scalpers want a morgage payment/ticket (well, $350 or so). Or do we just tailgate in the parking lot all game.

Tickets to Texas games can always be found for pretty cheap (or at least the face value of the ticket) somewhere outside the stadium as long as they arent playing a team like Tech or A&M (or Ohio State the next weekend). You shouldnt have any problem finding them or getting them from NT. There is NO reason you should pay more than $60

Edited by Eagle1855

Here is the latest response from Amtrak

Mr. Covert,

This particular train holds 74 seats per car. You would need at least 20 people to be considered a group. We will need specific dates of travel to request the space and get a price. Is your group wanting to leave on September 1st and return on the 3rd. Do you have at least 20 people traveling now. Please provide us with this information so the space can be requested as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that the exclusive occupancy of the car will take longer for approval.

The closing of the station on the weekends does not interfere with passenger travel, the train will make its regular stops as scheduled.

None of the nearby hotels offer pick up-drop off to and from the station. You will need to contact them directly to make special arrangements.

Thank you for choosing Amtrak and we look forward to assisting you with your travel needs.

Please provide us with a contact telephone number with your reply.

Amtrak Group Department.

Most of the Hotels/Motels (the larger ones) offer van service to and from the airport, so I'm assuming that they offer the same service to people arriving via Amtrak.

If someone has already booked a room at a Hotel in Austin, could you contact the Hotel (e-mail would be fine) and ask them if they could pick a guest up at the Amtrak station?

Also, I'm asking about the availability of food and alcohol beverages on the train.

Edited by SilverEagle

Could someone please post the name of a Hotel/Motel where they are planning to stay for the Texas game this fall? The names of previous Hotels/Motels will do.

For clarification. I only need the names of Hotels/Motels that provide courtesy van service. I also need their addresses. The street name will do.

Thanks

Most recent reply from Amtrak

Mr. Covert,

There is no deadline on when you need to request the space by but keep in mind that everything is subject to availability and for groups, the space is much limited since the revenue managers only approve a certain percentage per train.

Alcohol as well as food service are available on this train from our dinning and lounge car.

For those who live in East Texas and who might want to participate in this event, here is the schedule from Texarkana to Ft Worth for the Texas Eagle.

Texarkana, departs station at 7:18am

Marshall, departs station at 9:35am

Longview, departs station at 10:20am

Mineola, departs station at 11:10am

Dallas, departs station at 1:40pm

Fort Worth, departs station at 4:00pm

And for those between DFW and Austin

Arrives at Cleburne at 4:42 PM

The rest of the stations are

McGregor, Temple, and Taylor.

Here is the link to describe the accommodations.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...554402&ssid=138

This is the latest response from Amtrak. My question had to do with people making reservations on thier own, or as a group using a special code for the event.

We will need specific travel dates to start so the space can be requested, then when the space is confirmed we will call you with the pricing information and about two weeks after you will need to make a 10 percent deposit. We won't need any names at this time but a complete passenger name list will be needed before you make your final payment, which will be explained on the confirmation letter that we will send you.

If your group makes their own reservations individually, we will have no control over it and they will not be considered a group, all passengers need to be traveling together under the same reservation and itinerary to be a group.

Thank you

Amtrak group Department.

Ok, does anyone (or any group) want to get involved in this?

Okay, in light of recent headlines about gas prices going up to $3.00 again. I just thought that I'd mention that, even if you book a ride by yourself on Amtrak to Austin and back, the cost to you will be

$46.00 ROUND TRIP

I wouldn't be surprised if they raise their fares in the near future.

......what if I guaranteed that the North Texas Dancers would be on the train?