TODAY'S SCRIMMAGE

adman

It was a fun day and a very successful cook for SoundMan. Great job as always Eric. I'm very excited about the Talent coming in from the recruit video show that DD did for us today. Lot's a size and strength.

As for the scrimmage the one who stood out to me most was a reciever, #87 who is a walk on, can't remember his name. He seems to be very driven to make this team. Isaac Thomas is becoming dominant on the D line. Our first string O line looks bigger, Rose had good day. Wilson is very fast with a decent arm. Looks to run the read-option pretty good. He really likes to run. Our defense looks to have that attitude back that has been missing. J Quinn and Nwigwe look very good, today's was JQ's 1st or 2nd day back from track which is amazing in itself. I'll think of more later.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Anyone? Please.

I'm sure others will have more in-depth reviews as I only saw the first 2 hours until 11:30am then had to leave. They rotated QBs in order usually after drives or 10-15 plays and with different offenses/defenses.

I'll rank the QBs as 1. Phillips, 2. Wilson, 3. Meager, 4. Ieans.

Phillips seems the least mobile of the 4 (a more pro-style QB), although he never really had to run. He was sacked once on a slow-developing flea-flicker toss back to him but otherwise made smart decisions about when to throw. He was the most accurate passer today, leading the team to at least 3 TDs, including short, medium, and long passes. He seemed very confident in his play and looked the part.

Wilson displayed some nice passes too. He also likes to run as previously mentioned, up the middle, and usually for nice 8-10 yard pickups. I too agree he needs to take it outside out-of-bounds sometimes before he gets wrecked. Athletic QB, fluid runner.

Meager made some nice plays then would ground a couple. You can tell he's comfortable playing from last season's experience but he is still inconsistant. I don't recall any deep balls from him but he did have a short pass intercepted and returned for a long distance. He also ran down a guy on a pick and displayed good speed.

They gave Ieans more plays than I thought they would. He also made a couple plays and took a nasty shot running with the ball but bounced back up after a couple minutes. He keeps trying but it just isn't coming easy for him.

J-Mo was cold/hot. He would get stuffed for 2-3 plays of little gain then bust a 40-yarder. Deavin Cox seemed to be tried as the #2 back and scored at least once. He took some pounding too with up the gut runs and looked like he turned his ankle at one point. I'd like to see a bigger FB given it for short yardage middle runs. Not much FB play today. James Mitchell scored at least once too and had some very nice runs.

J. Quinn was a standout today. At least 2 TDs and many other catches. A pleasure to watch out there. Muzzy tried hard but dropped several; more glue needed.

Placekicking is still a major concern to me. Many low kicks, short kickoffs (although some were intentional), blocks/misses on PATs and FGs.

I'm worried here in close games.

I did not see any major injuries, all bounced up eventually. The SBC was trying out some new refs and a scout was watching and grading them.

It will be interesting to see how they divide the team for the green/white game.

Edited by NT80

I had to leave around 11:30 as well, but here are my thoughts:

I liked Wilson the best of all the quarterbacks, and I thought he was in a little more than the others. His passing isn't as strong as Phillips, but I didn't think the difference was significant. They were throwing a LOT more short routes and dump offs, which I liked to see. I just thought that whenever Wilson was out there, the offense was more likely to move the ball. The traditional running game didn't do nearly as well as I've seen in the past, so either they have issues or our run defense is getting better, but when Wilson ran the "veer" (sp?) he'd almost always make about 4 yards, and had some that broke for more. J-Mo and the other running backs had a tough time though they did break a couple of big runs. All in all though there were more 1 and 2 yard pick ups when they ran.

All the QB's threw at least one interception that I saw. They tried the option twice that I remember with Wilson at QB and the defense did a good job getting in the backfield and both times the toss was off...I'd guess with more reps that will get cleaner.

It was great to see Quinn, out there. He had some grat catches and some runs after the catch. On one running play he came over and absolutley leveled one of the defensive players that allowed the play to develop.. The whole team reacted on that one. No use talking about how great he is, because we all know it, but he's fun to watch even when the play isn't comig his way.

I agree that Muzzy had an off day, dropping several that were there for the taking.

If the season was tomorrow I'd take Wilson, the "veer", J-Mo and the renewed emphasis on the short/mid yardage passing routes, and I'd like our chances. I worry that by splitting the time of the QB's in practice that no one is getting enough repititions to get really comfortable back there. Even if it was Phillips, I'd say pick one before 2-a-days and let him go.

There were more runs after the catch by everyone on those shorter routes, which is something we haven't had consistantly in the past couple of years. We'd almost alway go with a longer sideline route that IF caught would almost immediatley be tackled or run out of bounds.

Who's number 89? Is that Burress? he seemed to make some defensive plays pretty much through out the day. I don't remember seeing Gilmore, but I didn't have a roster. I'll post more if I remember.

Casey Fitzgerald (#87) from Red Oak made a very strong run at not only making the team, but hopefully getting some playing time. I don't think I saw him miss one pass that was thrown to him (of course, I wasn't watching the whole time), but the most impressive part of his game yesterday was the "YAC". Now, either this guy is the most underrated, hardest working receiver out there, or our defense lapsed into some pretty sloppy tackling yesterday. Considering his tenacity after he catches the ball, I'd give him a look at punt and kick-off returns. This young man really wants to play football for us.

I agree with Mad Hatter about Burruss (#89). That guy is making a case for getting into the DL rotation. He's listed as 252, but he looks a bit heavier than that to me. I'm also impressed with Gillmore (#9) and his pass rushing/blocking abilities. Some of us on the sidelines were salavating over the thought of Burruss (6'7" and every bit of it BTW) and Gilmore (6'5") being in on obvious passing downs this fall. And then, shortly after that discussion we see Jonathan Stewart (#61) crash in and swat a pass down. Stewart is listed as 6'2", but I think he looks a little taller than that. Anyway, If the classification that is listed by each player reflects their eligibility this fall, then we will have Burruss for two more seasons, and Gilmore for three. If Willie Ransom and Jeremiah Chapman (our DE starters last year) fully recover from their off-season "proceedures", then we are very well stocked at the DE position.

In the DL yesterday, I was seeing a lot of Joseph Miller, Jonathan Stewart, and David Adams. Adams is listed as 5'10" X 265, but he looked more like 275 to me. The DL was not being pushed around yesterday. I'm very encouraged by that, since we need them to be pretty solid this fall. I hope that Sky Pruitt is working hard in the off season. The aforementioned players will really be pushing him this fall. Plus, there are some very talented freshman coming in this fall in the DL. I hope we can red shirt them all.

As far as the QB's are concerned, if we lined up against UT (central campus) tomorrow, I would rate the QB's this way. Based on emphasizing the "read-option" offense 1. Wilson, 2. Meager, 3. Phillips. If we are going to try and mix it up evenly between run/pass, then I would rate them as 1. Wilson 2. Phillips, 3. Meager. Based on what I saw of the QB's in the early days of practice I would rate Prince pretty even with Meager with Prince having a slight edge in the passing department.

In the OL, Venegas was not suited up. I didn't see Stanley being inserted in his spot however. I still see Stanley playing with the 2nd group. The 2nd group is looking pretty good though. We are going to be pretty deep in the OL this fall. I had a chance to meet Robert Peachy at the BBQ after the scrimmage. He confirmed that , right now, he's playing at about 285 (instead of the 270 listed on the roster). This young man can easily play at 300 or 305.

RB's The only fully healthy RB's are James Mitchell, Kerona Henderson, James Thokey (#34) and Joshua Maldonado (#39). Ja-Mo and Devin Cox were out there playing, but it was evident that they were not running at 100%. Evan Robertson is still out with a ankle injury. It must be more serious than first thought, because Ja-Mo hurt his ankle last week but is still out there playing.

James Mitchell got off a very long TD run, as did Joshua Moldonado. Ja-mo ripped-off a long run, but was caught from behind. I don't think that I saw Kerona Henderson carry the ball even once yesterday. I just don't understand that. And before someone lectures me about our running scheme, I do understand that we are primarily a running team, and that just about everyone out there is supposed to be a blocker for the RB. But (IMHO) part of what makes a running game successful, is the defense knowing that either back could hurt you, and not knowing with 100% certainty who's going to get the ball.

The TE's were not doing well yesterday. Someone really needs to step-up/get healthy......whatever the issue is.

From the video presentation after the scrimmage it is apparent that this class will have some very good athletes. If the TE situation doesn't greatly improve by this fall's practice, then (IMHO) we could see a freshman out there.

Edited by SilverEagle

Guest JohnDenver

If you remember last spring, he also caught a few passes from that local QB who tried to walk on.  One was a deep pass down the left sideline that he hauled in for a TD.

Scott Wissle ... that kid looked pretty decent. I was pulling for him. He was on the short side, but was throwing better than Meager.

Guest JohnDenver

What every happened to this guy:

Rahagene Cherry DL, #71

Ht/Wt: 6-2, 310 Hometown: Plano Texas

He was a walk-on last summer. He had the size .. and played pretty well. I never heard why he didn't make the roster.

What every happened to this guy:

Rahagene    Cherry    DL,  #71

Ht/Wt: 6-2, 310  Hometown:  Plano Texas

He was a walk-on last summer. He had the size .. and played pretty well. I never heard why he didn't make the roster.

My understanding is terrible, terrible conditioning.

Scott Wissle ... that kid looked pretty decent. I was pulling for him. He was on the short side, but was throwing better than Meager.

Decent? Wissle out performed two of the QB's who are currently on a "ship".....especially the one that was/is about 6 or 7 inches taller than Mr. Wissle.

Of course, everyone (including the coaches obviously) likes to talk about (and salavate over) bigger players and what great potential those players have, and they ignore the ones that are out there actually getting it done....like Mr. Wissle did last sping.

On film, Kelvin Drake and Nick Foster stuck out to me. Both were dominating at their position. Patton's a rock in the middle of the line. Don't want to make much ado about guys after only watching half a dozen plays against mostly guys who won't ever be playing D-I college ball. But Drake and Foster looked the best to me.

So....the videos are on the Mean Green Premium site.  Last I heard, the MGR is not taking new subscriptions.  I'm going to put 2-2 together here and guess that the MGR is going away and being replaced by the "official" MGP site?  Yes/No?

I realize it may look that way, but Harry's decision to not take new MGR subscriptions is an independent choice. He definitely wasn't strongarmed into taking down the premium section to make way for the school's.

There are, however, a few changes on the horizon, and we'll certainly keep you abreast of anything that is for sure going to happen.

From what I saw at the Sat. scrimmage , I believe ,if today were game day ,Phillips would start at QB . Am I the only one that came away from the scrimmage with this impression ?

No. I left with the same opinion. Wilson seemed to want to take off running out of the pocket too often. I'm not sure who it was, but somebody laid him out when he took off running on one play. Did anyone else catch who that was ?

From what I saw at the Sat. scrimmage , I believe ,if today were game day ,Phillips would start at QB . Am I the only one that came away from the scrimmage with this impression ?

Phillips got my vote Saturday and overall moved the team the best. But I liked Scott Wissle last year too. sad.gif

No. I too had that impression. For the most part his passes were crisp, on target and he didn't seem to hold the ball too long before delivering the pass. Unless I missed something I only saw him throw one bad pass.

Guest JohnDenver

I believe it was S Rod Cotton, who had the angle.

I don't want to be the person to rain on the parade, but Jamario doesn't look like his 2004 form yet. He still is heavier than he was and doesn't have that break away speed. I am not saying he can't regain it ... Maybe he is hurt.

But Cotton is the one who ran him down from behind. I was sitting *way* up in the stands and could see clearly that Cotton didn't have the angle. He ran him down from almost directly behind him. Cotton also spent a good deal of time on the sideline nursing some leg/ankle injury and trying to walk it off. That doesn't bode well.

Jamario still has the good eyes to see the holes, but doesnt' have the cutback or break away speed that we all feel in love with.. I hope he gets it back before August. smile.gif

I don't want to be the person to rain on the parade, but Jamario doesn't look like his 2004 form yet. He still is heavier than he was and doesn't have that break away speed. I am not saying he can't regain it ... Maybe he is hurt.

But Cotton is the one who ran him down from behind. I was sitting *way* up in the stands and could see clearly that Cotton didn't have the angle. He ran him down from almost directly behind him. Cotton also spent a good deal of time on the sideline nursing some leg/ankle injury and trying to walk it off. That doesn't bode well.

Jamario still has the good eyes to see the holes, but doesnt' have the cutback or break away speed that we all feel in love with.. I hope he gets it back before August. smile.gif

Thanks for the clarification. From where I was standing, it looked like he did, but then again, I was in the endzone, and it looked different from that angle.

However, it still looked like there was some angled involved from where I was standing. One guy didn't look like he was directly behind the other. I'd guess a 20 percent angle when he was taken down near the sideline.

Edited by illuvius32

I realize it may look that way, but Harry's decision to not take new MGR subscriptions is an independent choice.  He definitely wasn't strongarmed into taking down the premium section to make way for the school's. 

There are, however, a few changes on the horizon, and we'll certainly keep you abreast of anything that is for sure going to happen.

Honestly, I'm just trying to decide whether or not I should get the MGP on the official site. I already pay for the MGR, and NEED that info, so if I'm going to get the same stuff from MGP now (+ actual game footage)....that's fine. The thing is that right now I don't think that the MGP is worth it---I already go to all the games, so what do I need with a live tv feed?...maybe some of the away games.....but I really like reading the inside scoop from the MGR.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you guys are going to be working for the AD now, GREAT!....just let me know when to sign up! smile.gif

I guess what I'm saying is that if you guys are going to be working for the AD now, GREAT!....just let me know when to sign up!  smile.gif

No one is working for the AD, just so we're clear if that's not a joke. I'll let Harry go into his reasons for that whenever he'd like, on his own terms. But, as I said before, we'll let you know something more when WE know something more.