Grading The Mean Green

MeanGreen61

http://recruitingbuzz.beloblog.com/

Grading the Mean Green

Today's segment focuses on North Texas:

Final grade: C

Why?: There is a line of thinking that North Texas' new athletic complex should have brought a stronger class. The jury is out. North Texas went heavy on high school defensive linemen and junior college players that are expected to help immediately after a 2-9 season. Because of that this class will be graded on whether North Texas is able to rebound and get back in a bowl game.

Best prospect: Offensive guard Kelvin Drake comes out of a strong program in Galveston Ball. Coaches at BCS schools told Drake that he is too short at 6-foot 3 to play guard for them. So Drake picked North Texas, where he thinks he can help out early. North Texas got the 280-pound Drake away from Arkansas State.

Sleeper: Tulsa East Central defensive lineman Tim Patton has the size and the talent to contribute as a freshman. He is one of eight high school defensive linemen North Texas is hoping will keep a tradition of solid defensive fronts going in Denton.

Pressure is on: Offensive lineman Trent Stanley was a second-team NJCAA All-American at JUCO power Coffeyville (Kan.) CC and he is expected to start the 2006 season at center or guard. If North Texas is going to return to its winning ways, it has to start with the offensive line.

Posted by Todd Wills at 2:36 PM (E-mail this entry)

Decent write-up. Surprised by the C grade. It is a very tough class to grade since we went after alot of linemen.

I can't wait to get Drake on campus as I think he has a chance to contribute early on. I watched some video clips of him on Rivals.com and was very impressed. He is lightning fast off the ball, looking like he got a jump on every play. And it seems as though he is nasty out there. He didn't just push his man off the line and stop. He dominated his man 15 yds. downfield. It will be intresting to see Patton in here. Averaging 15 tackles per game through the playoffs is crazy for a LB. Almost unheard of for a DT.

Edited by H-towngreen

Not a very flashy class at all. If you're signing lots of linemen, they better be the next coming of Julius Peppers or it is going to be tough to get an A grade.

Not to say that the class isn't a good one, because I personally believe we could have as many as four freshmen be immediate starters. Just that flash makes the class easier to grade higher.

Edited by illuvius32

Who do you have coming in and making an impact as freshman. I would say Drake, Patterson for sure. Other than those two I'm not sure.

Now keep in mind that this is without seeing anything about any of them. This is based soley on size and high school pedigree.

I have Esteban Santiago at DE, Tim Patton at DT, Kelvin Drake at OL, and Robbie Gordon at CB as possible early contributors. I'd keep an eye on Kendrick Ridge and Kail Krider. Who knows, though. That's pre-first impression: it could be all of them or none.

I have Esteban Santiago at DE, Tim Patton at DT, Kelvin Drake at OL, and Robbie Gordon at CB as possible early contributors.  I'd keep an eye on Kendrick Ridge and Kail Krider. 

I think youre right about Gordon although its a deep but young group at CB. Santiago has the size but I think if he doesn't show up at DT early on that he might be moved to OL. That is where he was H.M. All -State. It will be intresting to see these young DE/DT in the 3-4. They all have excellent size which is needed on the line in the 3-4. Most already weigh in at around 245.

I find it funny that the BcS coaches thought Kelvin Drake was too short. I don't recall Nate Newton or Larry Allen as being that tall, and they are two of the best the Cowboys ever had at guard.

Edited by UNTLifer