Wednesday Practice Update?

adman

Ok... don't have a lot of time, so I'll just hit the highlights.

Someone woke up Toby Nwigwe on Wednesday. He played very well, and finally showed a glimpse of what happens when his read and recognition skills match up with his physical ones. He met backs at the line and stopped them cold. I'm pretty sure he forced a fumble (could see in a pile, but everyone was congratulating him after the play). He laid out a few guys with hits that made me hurt. But most importantly, he looked spectacular next to Maurice Holman down around the goal line, where the D turned back the first team offense on first and goal from the 5.

Injuries piling up like crazy. Nothing terribly serious, but quite a few mild sprains, tweaks, bumps, bruises, and even a case of pink eye or two... Notably absent were Phillip Graves, Charley Brown, Evan Robertson, Jamario Thomas, Tyrone Carter, Jack Crumes, Dominique Green, and a few others I can't remember right now.

I'd expect most of them to be back by this Saturday's scrimmage.

Seems to be a two-man race at QB betwen Wilson and Phillips. (Did anyone else notice that yet? Wilson Phillips? Or have I dated myself?) Daniel Meager took a few snaps at QB, but it was Phillips working with the first team, and Wilson with the second. Phillips is as steady as can be, has the best arm on the team, and is tough as nails. I like Wilson's upside, but his tendency to run through the middle of the field instead of running to the sideline worries me. That's just begging for a big hit, a fumble, or both. His short to medium range accuracy seems to have improved a little since the beginning of practice, though.

I wish I knew what to make of Meager. It is obvious that the guy has talent. He can run with the ball (sometimes makes one too many dance movies instead of cutting upfield, though), and, while he doesn't have Phillips' arm strength, he seems to be able to really launch the ball much better than last year. But he struggles at times with his control and sometimes doesn't read as well as he should. I know he is talented, he just plays like he has a lot on his mind sometimes. He hasn't come out anywhere as cold as he did last year, but he's got to step it up to keep up with Wilson and Phillips.

If the season started tomorrow, based on who has gotten the most snaps with the first team and who I feel personally best about, the first team QB is Matt Phillips, with the second team being Woody Wilson OR Daniel Meager.

How is the O-line looking? Is Stanley with the 1st team yet?

B. Jackson is my adopted player, how is he looking?

I believe that Wilsons short passing game will improve with time. It takes a while to get your timing down with receivers on the short-medium passes. I expect him to be under center when the season starts.

How is the O-line looking? Is Stanley with the 1st team yet?

B. Jackson is my adopted player, how is he looking?

I believe that Wilsons short passing game will improve with time. It takes a while to get your timing down with receivers on the short-medium passes. I expect him to be under center when the season starts.

O-line's just about impossible to judge without the benefit of tape. Ajani Banks has been by far the most impressive guy to me so far. Chad Rose is coming off the ball a lot more strongly than he did last year. Must be all the coaching from our newest GA...

Stanley's still working second team on the right side.

Jackson has had decisively the best spring of any WR. It's a judgement call between his upside and Muzzy's experience.

You might be totally right about Wilson. Seeing him start would hardly be a surprise, especially if the line hasn't come together in pass protection. If Phillips shows at the scrimmage what I've been seeing in practice, you guys will see what I"m talking about.

O-line's just about impossible to judge without the benefit of tape.  Ajani Banks has been by far the most impressive guy to me so far.  Chad Rose is coming off the ball a lot more strongly than he did last year.  Must be all the coaching from our newest GA...

Stanley's still working second team on the right side.

Jackson has had decisively the best spring of any WR.  It's a judgement call between his upside and Muzzy's experience.

If Banks is having an excellent spring who starts at the guard spots? Could you have Banks and Lineberry and then move Stanley to tackle? Is he mobile enough to do so?

I have my money on B. Jax for the 2nd wr spot. Jackson is in his 3rd year now so he has the experience. He is a playmaker simply put. Sorry to say but I haven't seen anything out of Muzzy in his time here.

Edited by H-towngreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

What about Cullen Mills?  Haven't heard much about him since the first couple of days.

I assume that you mean Steven Prince. He wore the #5 that Cullen wore in 2005. He had a good first couple of days, then received an injury.

Cullen Mills wore #14 before last year. He left but was asked back and assigned #5; hence the confusion. Cullen posted on this board that he had a shoulder injury and would not be back for his senior season.

If Banks is having an excellent spring who starts at the guard spots? Could you have Banks and Lineberry and then move Stanley to tackle? Is he mobile enough to do so?

I have my money on B. Jax for the 2nd wr spot. Jackson is in his 3rd year now so he has the experience. He is a playmaker simply put. Sorry to say but I haven't seen anything out of Muzzy in his time here.

My money right now is Banks and Lineberry. I haven't seen a thing from Stanley that would lead me to suggest that he can play better than either of those guys. He began playing at Center and didn't go as planned. If Stanley's going to start, from what I've seen, it'll have to be at tackle.

Jackson might have 2 years of experience in the program, but being in the program and playing experience are two different things. I expect the Jackson has, at the very least, bought himself a load of playing time and a legitimate shot at winning the starting job from Muzzy come two-a-days.

Edited by illuvius32

Seems to be a two-man race at QB betwen Wilson and Phillips.  (Did anyone else notice that yet?  Wilson Phillips?  Or have I dated myself?)  Daniel Meager took a few snaps at QB, but it was Phillips working with the first team, and Wilson with the second.  Phillips is as steady as can be, has the best arm on the team, and is tough as nails.  I like Wilson's upside, but his tendency to run through the middle of the field instead of running to the sideline worries me.  That's just begging for a big hit, a fumble, or both.  His short to medium range accuracy seems to have improved a little since the beginning of practice, though.

I wouldn't worry about Wilson or Phillips fumbling the ball. Those two are famous for their ability to "hold on."

How's Isaac Thomas doing? Is he a 1st teamer yet?

Also, I made the scrimmage last sat. and didn't see much from Phillips (other than his tendency to hold the ball too long and get crushed by big hits). My question is this, was I blind watching that?...or is Phillips much better in practice??

Wilson Phillips...hahahahah....i had that tape!!!  Anyways, thanks for the writeup and good luck with your finals!

Any time you hear mention of an artist and your immediate reaction is, "Hey, I had that TAPE," you should strongly consider whether or not to admit it.

That said, I must be at least 5 years older than you guys, because my tape collection primarily consisted of Huey Lewis and the News. laugh.gif

How's Isaac Thomas doing?  Is he a 1st teamer yet?

Isaac Thomas looked like he got a few series with the first team, but he's still primarily a second team guy. There's got to be an "inside" reason why, (character, conditioning, or maybe some kind of technical flaw, like not knowing the plays) because he's certainly not a second teamer by his impact on the field. I jokingly said before that he must have said something bad about a coaches mother or something.

Also, I made the scrimmage last sat. and didn't see much from Phillips (other than his tendency to hold the ball too long and get crushed by big hits).  My question is this, was I blind watching that?...or is Phillips much better in practice??

Well, he did throw three touchdowns and also had that long play to Brandon Jackson... By my count, that put him pretty clearly in first place among those who played. I might have missed one or two, but he's been solid and about as consistent as anyone else.

Isaac Thomas looked like he got a few series with the first team, but he's still primarily a second team guy.  There's got to be an "inside" reason why, (character, conditioning, or maybe some kind of technical flaw, like not knowing the plays) because he's certainly not a second teamer by his impact on the field.  I jokingly said before that he must have said something bad about a coaches mother or something.

I would assume it is just the coaches being careful with him after the heat stroke thing. I agree, though, there has to be some off the field issue holding him back b/c he's clearly the best DT on the team....ok, maybe not best, ....most disruptive fits better.

Well, he did throw three touchdowns and also had that long play to Brandon Jackson...  By my count, that put him pretty clearly in first place among those who played.  I might have missed one or two, but he's been solid and about as consistent as anyone else.

3? Then I must have been blind. I only remember 1 TD, on the first drive of the scrimmage....after that, all I remember were big hits. That's all I really remember about him from last season as well. I guess I just cringe when he comes in b/c he's SO much slower and immobile than Meager and Wilson. Sure, he'll connect on a few plays, but I just sit there holding my breath if there's any kind of rush on b/c you KNOW he's going to get nailed.

I guess I just cringe when he comes in b/c he's SO much slower and immobile than Meager and Wilson. Sure, he'll connect on a few plays, but I just sit there holding my breath if there's any kind of rush on b/c you KNOW he's going to get nailed

While I wouldn't call him immobile, he's defintely not Meager or Wilson on the move. His problems last season came from wanting so badly to make a big play and back the defense off. His release isn't exactly slow, but, you're right, he did hold the ball a little long. Keep in mind, though, that problem was exacerbated by woeful pass protection, and it consequently looked a lot worse than it was.

Now, that is being battled by throwing a lot more short passes (Brandon Jackson had 3 five yard routes go further than 30 yards, including 95 yard TD. Joel Nwigwe had a lot of short routes that he used his speed to get yardage to the outside. Keronna Henderson and Jamario were used as well in the short game). In many ways, these short passes help beat a blitz as well as a good running game, and I get the feeling these are being put in as a failsafe in the event the running game peters out due to strong pressure.

As I've said before, if the line gets its pass pro together, I'd start Phillips. If it is shaky still, I'd put Wilson in.

Edited by illuvius32

Now, that is being battled by throwing a lot more short passes (Brandon Jackson had 3 five yard routes go further than 30 yards, including 95 yard TD.  Joel Nwigwe had a lot of short routes that he used his speed to get yardage to the outside.  Keronna Henderson and Jamario were used as well in the short game).  In many ways, these short passes help beat a blitz as well as a good running game, and I get the feeling these are being put in as a failsafe in the event the running game peters out due to strong pressure.

As I've said before, if the line gets its pass pro together, I'd start Phillips.  If it is shaky still, I'd put Wilson in.

I think the short passing game is something that was missing from last years game plan. And it should really help take some pressure off coming from the blitz. As you said though it's all a matter of how the line does. And by the sounds of it, it might be turning around.

As far as QB I have my $$$ on Wilson. He passing will become crisper as he gets more reps and is able to get his timing down with his new teamates.

As far as QB I have my $$$ on Wilson. He passing will become crisper as he gets more reps and is able to get his timing down with his new teamates.

He sure will. If he gets his accuracy, timing, reading, and recognition skills to Phillips' level, as well as hitting the sidelines instead of the middle when he takes off (and obviously hanging onto the ball), it is going to be a pretty easy call come August.

He sure will.  If he gets his accuracy, timing, reading, and recognition skills to Phillips' level, as well as hitting the sidelines instead of the middle when he takes off (and obviously hanging onto the ball), it is going to be a pretty easy call come August.

Does Wilson have the kind of speed where he might do QB draws from the shotgun a la V. Young?

What about the "hybrid" style of option we've seen from others the last year or two? Are we seeing anything in practice when Wilson takes snaps that alludes to us working in plays like those?

Does Wilson have the kind of speed where he might do QB draws from the shotgun a la V. Young?

What about the "hybrid" style of option we've seen from others the last year or two?  Are we seeing anything in practice when Wilson takes snaps that alludes to us working in plays like those?

Put it like this. Wilson, on a scramble two thursdays ago, was so fast going down the field that Cliff Higgs, playing the middle of the field in a deep third, barely ran him down. Had he not taken a GREAT angle, Wilson would have gone yard on the play.

He's run quite a few draws, and a lot of those plays are specifically drawn up for him. There was even a naked bootleg design run to the left on the goal line on Wednesday. Ironically, Higgs again saved the touchdown with a terrific open field tackle.

If you're referring to the zone read play, I've seen it a run a few times. It won't be a mainstay of the offense, but you'll see it here and there, especially when Wilson or Meager are in. There were a few exchange problems, but nothing that couldn't be ironed out with more work.