Are Many Teams Scheduling 1AA Games ?

MeanGreen61

Howell's preliminary schedules shows over 50 teams (not including Sun Belt teams) host 1AA teams in '06.

Arizona - S.F Austin

Arizona State - N. Arizona

Arkansas - SE Missouri

Army - VMI

Baylor - NW State

Boise State - Sacramento State

Boston College- Maine

California - Portland State

UCF - Villanova

Cincinnati- Eastern Kentucky

Colorado - Montana State

Colorado State- Weber State

UConn - Rhode Island

Florida - West Carolina

Georgia Tech - Samford

Illinois - Eastern Illinois

Iowa - Montana

Iowa State - Northern Iowa

Kansas - NW State

Kansas State - Illinois State

Kentucky - Texas State

Louisiana Tech - Nicholls State

Marshall - Hofstra

Maryland - Wm. & mary

Memphis - Chattanooga

Miami - Florida A&M

Mississippi - Nicholls State

Mississippi State - jacksonville State

Missouri - Murray State

Navy - UMass

Nebraska - Nicholls State

New Mexico - Portland State

NMSU - Texas Southern

NMSU SE Louisiana

N. Carolina - Furman

N.C. State - Appalachian State

Northwestern - New Hampshire

Oklahoma State - Missouri State

Oregon State - Eastern Washington

Pitt - Citadel

Purdue - Indiana State

San Jose - Cal Poly

South Carolina - Wofford

USF - McNeese State

SMU - Sam Houston

Southern Miss - SE Louisiana

Texas - Sam Houston

Texas A&M - Citadel

Texas Tech - SE Louisiana

Tulsa - SFA

Vanderbilt - Tennessee State

Wisconsin - Western Illinois

Edited by MeanGreen61

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GrayEagleOne

Whatever your perspective on playing 1-AA teams, you can probably defend it, at least in your own mind. Let me just point out something from 61's post.

The vast majority that are playing 1-AA teams are BCS teams. BCS teams generally do not have to worry about attendance. There may be a few thousand that will not attend the 1-AA game but most will attend regardless of whom their team is playing. That usually is not true with with the 'mid-major' teams. It would likely destroy any chance of creeping into a BCS bowl because of the lower strength of schedule.

Having said that, and since we have little chance for a BCS bowl, I think that Texas State, SFA, or Sam Houston would draw decently. But, please, in-state 1-AAs only.

Travis---

Our point in playing regional D-1AA teams is as beneficial to attendance as playing Tulsa here at home. Don't you think that SFA or Texas State would bring as many fans as Tulsa brought to Denton??

Besides, the other side of the coin is being defeated by regional D-1AA teams. Logically, UNT should have a better team than D-1AA but being #107 out of 117 D-1A teams is an embar"ass"ment to many alum. If you factor in what D-1AA teams are ahead of us in all standings......that would leave UNT about #145. Think about that.....UNT DOES NOT even make the TOP 20 OF D-1AA, NOW!!! mad.gif How do you feel about that, Travis???? Hope that kind of pis_' you off!!

Some posters on this board are of the foregone conclusion that the only reason why we play athletics is strickly for viewing pleasure. "We just want to be entertained because it is the best bang for the buck in the metroplex."

Naturally, there are others who do not share this view point. UNT is trying to rebuild a program that, in all reality, does not even hold a candle to the top 20 of D-1AA programs. If the only way out of this quagmire is to play 2 regional D-1AA programs and beat 'em (of course there is no guarantee) to increase the "W's" on our side of the ledger that is fine with me. More wins over a period of time means better players......better players......more wins.....more wins.....more coverage....more coverage.....more $$$.....more $$$ might lead to a new stadium and better financial/fan support.....

IMHO, again, UNT needs to take "ONE STEP BACK TO MOVE 2 STEPS FORWARD."

I see nothing degrading about playing 1 or 2 D-1AA programs a year for a while. Some of you want to use UNT as "cannon fodder" against programs that will hang 40-50 points on us for "moral victories or competitive loses." For you boys and girls who have that philosophy then ya'll need to get together and go to a good "chick flick" while the rest of us go see Delta Force. Goodness, even DD does not want to be cannon fodder or be involved with moral victories (I dont think so anyway).....his job depends upon wins not feel good loses.

While some of you have been brought up being politically correct and really do not want to hurt anyone's feelings there are those of us who are Black & White in our thinking. Life comes down to either a W or a L, period.

My expectations this year: win 2 OOC games, run the belt & beat the #4 CUSA team in the N.O. Bowl. Anything less is well............you know.

Jesus - nobody is talking about adding TWO IAA games every single year to make us feel better about the record, we are discussing adding ONE iaa game in 2007; for a one shot deal. It is now a 12 game season every single year - and we can get a IAA to Fouts for $50K. We schedule a patsy like the Samford Bulldogs or the FAMU Rattlers - beat them by 50, and have a little bit of fun with the game the same way that tU has with US. Look at that list above, you don't see Texas State on that list do you? What about Western Kentucky? Nope - you won't see any of the top 25 DIV IAA teams on people's schedules - because when it comes to IAA games, you schedule them late, just in case the team gets "good" over a year's time period - you get them in cheap if you are a non-BCS school, and yuo schedule someone that you can BEAT... like Tennessee-Martin or the likes. Our fans have shown that they will show up for BAD football, they did all season long. Why? Well, they are showing up to watch NORTH TEXAS - not the opponent. Again, this is a ONE GAME DISCUSSION. ONE FREAKIN' GAME. And at this point in our rebuilding phase, we need a patsy to come to Fouts - not a team like BYU to come in and beat us in front of 24K home fans, destroy the team's confidence, and piss off our fragile fan base. Look at the non-BCS schools that have been succesful, go back and look at who they played - you will find a common denominator; they all played a few "warm up" games each year in order to build up wins, a fan base, and generate interest in the program. After a 2-9 season, we are back to square one, we have no idea if we will be back to Sun Belt supremacy next year (by 2007) - hell, we might just be breaking in a brand spanking new football coach by then. If I was a brand spanking new football coach, and was just learning the ropes - I wouldn't want a team like BYU coming into my house and beating the living shit out of my team in front of my new fan base. I would like to have a Samford Bulldog team come to town, so that I could practice my players, make sure that I know how everything is gelling outside of practice, and get ready for the conference season to begin. This is just 2007 we are talking about, not a new scheduling philosophy forever.

if you want to see 1-AA teams go support SFA

Once again I think your missing the point. So your saying that a loss to BYU by 45 on the road is better than a win at home?

And for those of you who think that a 1-AA game would hurt our attendence let me ask you this. Who do you think would bring more fans, SFA of FAU? SHSU or FIU?

Once again I think your missing the point. So your saying that a loss to BYU by 45 on the road is better than a win at home?

And for those of you who think that a 1-AA game would hurt our attendence let me ask you this. Who do you think would bring more fans, SFA of FAU? SHSU or FIU?

if we are afraid of 1-A teams then get out of 1-A. was TCU afraid of BYU, no, they won at there place. we gain nothing by beating SFA and could lose to them then what?

if we are afraid of 1-A teams then get out of 1-A.  was TCU afraid of BYU, no, they won at there place.  we gain nothing by beating SFA and could lose to them then what?

Sorry to say this but we are not TCU. We are not near TCU.

You ask what we gain by beating SFA. How about another notch in the win column.

What do we get for getting blasted by BYU by 40 points? A mark in the L column.

Sorry to say this but we are not TCU. We are not near TCU.

You ask what we gain by beating SFA. How about another notch in the win column.

What do we get for getting blasted by BYU by 40 points? A mark in the L column.

you are saying we are closer to being SFA quality than TCU. maybe we are so maybe you should ask RV why the coach has us there? maybe we should not be like a southland team and act like southland fans.

you are saying we are closer to being SFA quality than TCU.

Did I say that? No. I stated that we are not close to where TCU is. As in being a top 10 team in the nation.

I stated nothing about being close to SFA. I said it would be a mark in the win column if we played them. As opposed to playing BYU and getting spanked. Once again what do we get from a loss like that.

Did I say that? No. I stated that we are not close to where TCU is. As in being a top 10 team in the nation.

I stated nothing about being close to SFA. I said it would be a mark in the win column if we played them. As opposed to playing BYU and getting spanked. Once again what do we get from a loss like that.

I guess if you assume that any game with a 1a non-belt team is a loss, then you gain nothing by playing occ games. Because you sure don't gain anything from beating a 1aa team. I maybe in the minority, but I had rather lose badly to a respectable team than have to schedule 1aa teams for a chance at an occ victory. Use to be NT fans complained about body bag games against the likes of UT, OU and LSU, now many don't think NT can be competitive with anybody rated higher than 100. Even if this is true, the schedule is not the problem; it is the program.

I guess if you assume that any game with a 1a non-belt team is a loss, then you gain nothing by playing occ games.  Because you sure don't gain anything from beating a 1aa team.   I maybe in the minority, but I had rather lose badly to a respectable team than have to schedule 1aa teams for a chance at an occ victory.  Use to be NT fans complained about body bag games against the likes of UT, OU and LSU, now many don't think NT can be competitive with anybody rated higher than 100.  Even if this is true, the schedule is not the problem; it is the program.

Once again putting words in my mouth. I don't assume that any game against a non belt team is a loss. I believe that if we were to play BYU on the road we would lose.

You say nothing would be gained from beating a 1-aa team. How about another W on the schedule. How about a chance for our guys to get some momentum going. How about a chance for some other guys to get some action.

What do we get out of a trip to BYU. A loss and $$. I'd rather take 8-4 at the end of the season that 7-5 but its ok because we didn't play any 1-AA teams like half the other NCAA.

Edited by H-towngreen

I guess if you assume that any game with a 1a non-belt team is a loss, then you gain nothing by playing occ games.  Because you sure don't gain anything from beating a 1aa team.  I maybe in the minority, but I had rather lose badly to a respectable team than have to schedule 1aa teams for a chance at an occ victory.  Use to be NT fans complained about body bag games against the likes of UT, OU and LSU, now many don't think NT can be competitive with anybody rated higher than 100.  Even if this is true, the schedule is not the problem; it is the program.

Yep, and their theory is that we can mark up these Div 1-AA games as automatic wins, too, which, given recent history, I wouldn't bank on.

I don't want to play 1-AA teams. We've got enough crappy teams to beat up on in the Sun Belt. If we can't get a winning record vs. them, then we don't deserve any recognition anyway.

Once again putting words in my mouth. I don't assume that any game against a non belt team is a loss. I believe that if we were to play BYU on the road we would lose.

You say nothing would be gained from beating a 1-aa team. How about another W on the schedule. How about a chance for our guys to get some momentum going. How about a chance for some other guys to get some action.

Putting some more words in your month, apparently you are not only assuming a win against an 1aa team but an easy one. Playing 1aa can be a risky business for a maginal club. Ask the Muts. I am sure there would be a lot of mo generated by beating a lower division team, it did wonders for NT's men basketball team.

What do we get out of a trip to BYU. A loss and $$. I'd rather take 8-4 at the end of the season that 7-5 but its ok because we didn't play any 1-AA teams like half the other NCAA.

Actually a big plus for NT in playing BYU would be difference in revenue that would be involved, not exactly a minor item at NT. Again you are assuming a win against a 1aa team, and a loss against BYU. How about a 6-6 team with a loss to an 1aa squad. Most of the other teams that play 1aa teams are not in the lowest ranked conference and can actually generate money playing 1aa teams.

Edited by GrandGreen

You say nothing would be gained from beating a 1-aa team. How about another W on the schedule.

if it is just a W you want lets schedule high school teams and D111 teams too then. we could be 12-0 against them and be Top 10 like your TCu. yep, National Champs for North texas against 1-AA and lower. would that make you a proud alumni?

What do we get by beating 1AA? Certainly not bowl eligibility.

The only way any Belt team will be bowl eligible is by winning the conference. So you record doesn't matter. But it does to recruits. Say 5 years from now you look back and see an 8-4 record that your gonna say "oh that doesn't count. we should have only been 7-4. we played a 1-AA school." doubtful

if it is just a W you want lets schedule high school teams and D111 teams too then.  we could be 12-0 against them and  be Top 10 like your TCu.  yep,  National Champs for North texas against 1-AA and lower.  would that make you a proud alumni?

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure TCU beat some decent teams last year. How about Oklahoma for example, Utah, Iowa ST.

So D-1 schools should not be allowed to schedule 1-AA opponents. Or just NT. I don't hear anyone raising a fuss over UT playing SHSU. And yes it is a win that I want. For this year I would rather use the extra 12th game and schedule a more winnable game against a 1-AA. Espescially sense most teams are already unavailable.

LoveMG/MonkeyPox/Travis/GangGreen---

1. Let me remind you that UNT is ranked #107 out of 117 D-1A teams.

2. Let me remind you that UNT would probably be ranked about #140 combining D-1A and D-1AA teams.

3. Let me remind you that UNT would not even make the top 20 of D-1AA schools.

4. Let me remind you that 4 OOC teams hung between 40 to 54 points on us last year.

What do you boys want in a program??

1. Do you want UNT to continue to be "Cannon Fodder" for OOC opponents so they can hang another 40 - 54 points on us year after year?? By golley trying to improve our program that way will keep us 2-9 or 3-8 almost indefinitely. What sort of "quality" HS or JC recruit is going to list UNT as their first choice with this type of record????

2. Would you rather try to have a winning record with NO chance against teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, LSU or BYU?? All you have to do is do a records search of the success that MID-MAJORS have had against BCS schools. OK....yea, sometimes (rarely) does a Mid-Major defeats a BCS school....such as the success that MTSU has had over Vandy. I would go out on the limb and say that 90% of the time BCS school whooop up on Mid Majors!!!! That philosophy is shot to sh_t!!

3. You chide TCU's schedule last year!!!! He_l......UNT would have gone 0-11 in that conference.

What H-TownGreen and I are suggesting is to take ONE STEP BACK TO MOVE 2 STEPS FORWARD by playing one or two regional D-1AA games per year for a while until we get back on the winning side again. That is all. There is NOTHING wrong in doing what just about everyone else is doing, including BCS schools.

1. I would imagine that SFA, Texas State ect...would bring just as many if not more fans to the game as Tulsa did last year. That is $$

2. Do you really think that a UNT freshman, sophmore or junior really cares if UNT plays a D-1AA school at Fouts Field??? He_l No!! I want to see UNT win at the expense of anyone until we start winning the way we are suppose to. You four "feel good buddies" want moral loses to increase our "L's and increase our revenue." You four "feel good buddies" think that playing D-1AA programs will destroy UNT's chances of ever making it big in the Mid-Majors and that it will decrease attendance and throw us back into D-1AA again.....hahahahahahaha....you guys must have been hiding underneath a rock somewhere.....take a look at other Mid-Major and BCS schedules......Playing D-1AA teams does not hurt anyone!!!! H-TownGreen and I want Wins not "feel good moral loses."

3. Years from now recruits will only see things in Black & White.....Wins/Loses!!

4. Wins equates to better players which equates to more wins which equates to attendance and revenue.

Unfortunately, you four "feel good buddies" want to dump UNT football into a hole that will take years to get out of. We are already chest high in deep sh_t right now being #107 out of 117 D-1 teams and probably #140 if you include D-1AA teams.....that does not even put us in the top 20 of D-1AA schools. You four "feel good buddies" want UNT drown in regurgitation.....well I dont and neither do other concerned alumi.......

If watching a D-1AA team at Fouts is too degrading for you then just dont support the team.

Others of us will be at Fouts watching and supporting the team no matter who they play.

I personally respect your opinion but as you can tell do not agree with it.

LoveMG/MonkeyPox/Travis/GangGreen---

1.  Let me remind you that UNT is ranked #107 out of 117 D-1A teams.

2.  Let me remind you that UNT would probably be ranked about #140 combining D-1A and D-1AA teams.

3.  Let me remind you that UNT would not even make the top 20 of D-1AA schools.

4.  Let me remind you that 4 OOC teams hung between 40 to 54 points on us last year.

What do you boys want in a program??

1.  Do you want UNT to continue to be "Cannon Fodder" for OOC opponents so they can hang another 40 - 54 points on us year after year??  By golley trying to improve our program that way will keep us 2-9 or 3-8 almost indefinitely.  What sort of "quality" HS or JC recruit is going to list UNT as their first choice with this type of record????

2.  Would you rather try to have a winning record with NO chance against teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, LSU or BYU??  All you have to do is do a records search of the success that MID-MAJORS have had against BCS schools.  OK....yea, sometimes (rarely) does a Mid-Major defeats a BCS school....such as the success that MTSU has had over Vandy.  I would go out on the limb and say that 90% of the time BCS school whooop up on Mid Majors!!!!  That philosophy is shot to sh_t!!

3.  You chide TCU's schedule last year!!!! He_l......UNT would have gone 0-11 in that conference.

What H-TownGreen and I are suggesting is to take ONE STEP BACK TO MOVE 2 STEPS FORWARD by playing one or two regional D-1AA games per year for a while until we get back on the winning side again.  That is all.  There is NOTHING wrong in doing what just about everyone else is doing, including BCS schools. 

1.  I would imagine that SFA, Texas State ect...would bring just as many if not more fans to the game as Tulsa did last year.  That is $$

2.  Do you really think that a UNT freshman, sophmore or junior really cares if UNT plays a D-1AA school at Fouts Field??? He_l No!! I want to see UNT win at the expense of anyone until we start winning the way we are suppose to.  You four "feel good buddies" want moral loses to increase our "L's and increase our revenue."  You four "feel good buddies" think that playing D-1AA programs will destroy UNT's chances of ever making it big in the Mid-Majors and that it will decrease attendance and throw us back into D-1AA again.....hahahahahahaha....you guys must have been hiding underneath a rock somewhere.....take a look at other Mid-Major and BCS schedules......Playing D-1AA teams does not hurt anyone!!!!  H-TownGreen and I want Wins not "feel good moral loses."

3.  Years from now recruits will only see things in Black & White.....Wins/Loses!! 

4.  Wins equates to better players which equates to more wins which equates to attendance and revenue.

Unfortunately, you four "feel good buddies" want to dump UNT football into a hole that will take years to get out of.  We are already chest high in deep sh_t right now being #107 out of 117 D-1 teams and probably #140 if you include D-1AA teams.....that does not even put us in the top 20 of D-1AA schools.  You four "feel good buddies" want UNT drown in regurgitation.....well I dont and neither do other concerned alumi.......

If watching a D-1AA team at Fouts is too degrading for you then just dont support the team.

Others of us will be at Fouts watching and supporting the team no matter who they play.

I personally respect your opinion but as you can tell do not agree with it.

I would follow that post up with a question:

Would anyone be complaining if this game was the 1st game of the season for us? Thus making it basically a preseason game that counted to our record?

Edited by TIgreen01

TIGreen01--

I really do not think that anyone cares when these D-1AA games are played during the season....but....personally I would like them played at or near the beginning of the season.....that way we get some early UNT Whooooop as_ going.

my expectations this year: win 2 OOC games, run the belt and beat the #4 CUSA team in the N.O. Bowl.....anything less......we need a changing of the guard.

it is also my belief that this is the time to "TAKE ONE STEP BACK TO TAKE TWO STEPS FORWARD" in the scheduling of more D-1AA teams.