Mean Green honor Celina player

Marty

Mean Green honor CHS’ Franklin

By Adam Boedeker

Herald Democrat

DENTON — After finishing his first round of chemotherapy Thursday, Tyler Franklin got a pleasant surprise Monday night at the Super Pit.

Franklin attended the Celina-Ponder playoff game, sitting on the front row with his friends dressed in assorted Celina garb, but Franklin trumped them all.

At halftime of the game, North Texas football coach Darrell Dickey presented Franklin with an official Mean Green jersey, his No. 50 and all. The back of the jersey sports his nickname, “T-Frank.”

Franklin, a senior and a member of the Bobcats’ state champion football team, is suffering from osteosarcoma in his femur.

Franklin wasn’t the only person in the arena wearing the No. 50. The Celina coaches, cheerleaders and even the players sported shirts dedicated to Franklin as their warmup tops.

Dickey gave a speech before presenting the jersey, bringing the Celina and Ponder fans to their feet.

“I just want everyone to know that everyone at North Texas is keeping Tyler Franklin in our prayers during this bout,” Dickey said.

Then as a testament to Franklin’s toughness, Dickey offered his prognosis.

“With a guy like Tyler, you might as well just consider it done,” he said.

Franklin said he feels good after his chemo and said he “didn’t even throw up, which was a plus.” He appreciated the jersey, even though he had a bigger task at hand.

“It feels amazing to get that,” he said. “That’s not why I came here, though. I came to support my boys and help them progress through the playoffs.”

Celina basketball coach Troy Davis, who coaches Franklin’s little brother, Troy, knew about Dickey’s presentation, but wasn’t able to see it.

“I know that means a lot to Tyler,” Davis said. “He needs all the encouragement he can get. It also means a lot to our close-knit community to know someone outside of Collin County is thinking about him.”