2006 schedule and opinions

Mean'n'Green07

After looking at the 2006 schedule, I think this is the best schedule we have had in years. Besides the UT game, I think we should be competitive in EVERY GAME we play. We're only playing one BCS team, and the rest are good regional rivalaries in conferences we want/should be in.

In my opinion if DD wants to keep his job this year he needs to go AT LEAST .500 in the OOC games. Anything less really proves he hasn't and will not take us to the next level. I know the 4 bowl games and 2-9 record last year. He had 4 'solid' seasons in a row and one let down, but this year really determines alot for me.

Does anyone see this differently that we shouldn't at least be competitive/winning in these OOC games? (and if not how the hell are we supposed to join C-USA). Hell, if we had this schedule 2 or 3 years ago I would of predictied a 10 win season.

8-4 or 7-5

For sure losses to

UT- blowout

Tulsa- good squad on the road

I think we can beat La. Tech at home.

SMU- depends which SMU team shows up

If we get BYU loss

If 1-AA win

With 1 or 2 losses in Conf.

For me it's a matter of how fast we gel in our new 3-4 defense. And how the QB situation pans out. Just like M.G.07 I would have loved to of had this schedule 3 years ago. Can you say 11-1.

Edited by H-towngreen

So DD has to go 10-2 for him to keep his job. wink.gif

Personally, I dont think thats quite necessary. I was upset by the 2-9 record, but what was far worse is the way we lost the games. Losing to La Tech and Tulsa by over 35 points is absurd. There was no intensity or motivation to win.

We should be bowl eligble by minimum standards, and if we go into every fourth quarter with a chance to win with a good coaching strategy (that actually adjusts to what the other team does) we will accomplish that. If DD can't do that, he doesn't deserve to coach here.

Did any of you guys watch us play last year? We had an abysmal defense that lost it's 2 starting corner backs which will leave us with even less experience in the defensive backfield this year if that is possible. We will employ more 3-4 this year and will rely on a kid who has never played a down in a live game in Ike Thomas. The rest of the line is a bit small for a 3-4 scheme. Our linebackers should be solid though.

Our offenseive line was pretty awful last year with Lineberry as the only one that showed much. We are adding Stanley who will more than likely need half the season(like most other JUCOs) to adjut to the speed and new scheme. Charley Brown is the only tight end I would rely on to catch the ball but we all know that DD doesn't throw to tight ends. We have a deep receiving group(like we did last year) but without a QB to throw accurately to them I don't see it changing much for them. I feel bad for Johnny Quinn because he has real talent and if he played for UT, A&M, OSU, etc... he would be a first day draft pick next year. The way DD uses him, he will be lucky to be drafted at all and that is sad.

I see us at around 4-8 with wins over 1-AA, FIU, LaMo, MUTS.

Did any of you guys watch us play last year? We had an abysmal defense that lost it's 2 starting corner backs which will leave us with even less experience in the defensive backfield this year if that is possible. We will employ more 3-4 this year and will rely on a kid who has never played a down in a live game in Ike Thomas. The rest of the line is a bit small for a 3-4 scheme. Our linebackers should be solid though.

Yes, but this year we will have a defensive coordinator. wink.gif

To put it bluntly.......we had NO "D" (just look at the OOC scores last year) and NO "O." We beat FIU by 3 (we were lucky to win that) and beat MTSU by 7 (on an interception run back...they ran and passed all over us....we were very lucky to win that). They just made more mistakes than we did.

We need D & O this year. Hopefully, RF can draw up some WIDE OPEN "O" this year. I want to see us come out with the philosophy of, "we are NOT going to try to keep it close to the 4th Quarter (one of DD's lines) we are here to run up the score & kick your butts." Heck, I would like us to start putting in the "Coke Boy" mid way through the 3rd quarter. We could have easily had ZERO wins last year. We, certainly, do not have anything to lose this year by being WIDE OPEN. I want the other team to say that we played UNT competively by losing by 21 - 40 or 54 points. I want DD to have a reputation of running up the scores on opponents.

My requirements this year are: Win 2 OOC games, run the belt and beat the #4 CUSA team in the N.O. Bowl. Anything less is spinning our wheels with our present football administration. If DD, et. al., can not sell the program to H.S. and JC players it is time to get someone who can SELL this program.

After a 2-9 season and the lack of preparedness that caused it, DD would have to sweep the Belt again (with dominating wins) and post losses only to UT and Tulsa. And that Tulsa game better be darn close, too. Otherwise, we send him packing.

This is what it would take to get my attention, but I really don't we will even come close to a winning record next season.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Unofficially, we know of 11 games....

9/2 @Texas

9/9 SMU

9/16 @Tulsa

9/23 @Louisiana-Monroe

9/30 MIDDLE TENNESSEE

10/7 @Troy

10/14

10/21 FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL

10/28

11/4 LOUISIANA TECH

11/11 @Louisiana-Lafayette

11/18 FLORIDA ATLANTIC

11/25 @Arkansas State

Our offenseive line was pretty awful last year with Lineberry as the only one that showed much. We are adding Stanley who will more than likely need half the season(like most other JUCOs) to adjut to the speed and new scheme. Charley Brown is the only tight end I would rely on to catch the ball but we all know that DD doesn't throw to tight ends. We have a deep receiving group(like we did last year) but without a QB to throw accurately to them I don't see it changing much for them. I feel bad for Johnny Quinn because he has real talent and if he played for UT, A&M, OSU, etc... he would be a first day draft pick next year. The way DD uses him, he will be lucky to be drafted at all and that is sad.

I see us at around 4-8 with wins over 1-AA, FIU, LaMo, MUTS.

Exactly, Eagle-96, do we suddenly have Joe Greene and Cedric Hardman coming back to Denton with a surprise one year of collegiate elgibility?smile.gif

Many on this forum seem to all still be depending on unproven projects to come thru next year on the MG defense, just like DD depends on many of his JUCO projects to come thru as well. We need all (including coaches) to come thru that will enable us to join such programs as that of ex Big West conference foe Boise State. They seemed to set (and reach) much bigger goals for their football program once they left the Big West. We seem to be running in place and still can't even smell a significant OOC win in recent years.

What concerns me as much as all the mediocre types on our athletic staff (check all your NT media guides and all their cumlative records for proof on that); but even more are some fans/alums who seem to have not seen the same team most of us saw last football season. Jeez, I know Spring (excuse me, Winter) football is the time to be eternally optimistic as we turn average players into 1'st team All Americans, but lets not lose complete objectivity with all this.

Merely winning the SBC but not even getting inside the Top 50 while doing that in the past should prove to all that we are getting about all what we are going to get with present group (and I don't know how many more years some of our leaders and some well intentioned fans need to figure that fact out), but for damn sure many will be glad when this era of low set goals/low expectation is over so we can get back on the high road set long ago in Denton by those who thought just a tad bigger than that of SBC level competition. Hope for some of our older fans and alums this happens soon.

We alums (or NT Exes) and fans need to play a part in seeing that our alma mater gets rid of this newly sprung concept up in Denton that you can pretty well do a mediocre (or even lousy job in some cases) at UNT and still retire comfortably at the Top of the Golden Triangle. Not sure that happens anywhere else that I am aware of and for damn sure knows it doesn't happen in the non-collegiate work-a-day world.

With the 2006 NT football schedule I see from GrayEagleOne's post, IMHO we will have no wins in OOC next year and might (at best) break even in the SBC which will (of late) probably be enough to get Darrell Dickey and all his crowd another contract extension from his vacation pal, ie, Bobby Ray. (Has this become a Mean Green nightmare for many of us out here who expect much more)?sad.gif Wonder what it will take to get rid of the real source of all this low expectation or the one who just keeps on rubber-stamping all this low performance we are getting in the NT athletic department across the board and what it will take to get him re-assigned back to his home-building business?!?!? LOL!

Some of you really enjoying all this we have going on at our alma mater, though? If so, tell the rest of us as to why we should also be enjoying this as well (w/o getting into the "rah rah" be true to your school stuff because none of that has yet to turn perrenial mediocre athletic staff types into world-beaters FWIW). Yet give us some facts or data as to why we should all be looking forward to a higher profile athletic future with this present group in the NT Athletic Dept.--we're all ears out here and really want to have something to rally behind for a change.smile.gif

Pardon me for now, mother nature (keeps on) a-callin'. (Does Kayopectate take care of a light case of probable food poisoning)?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Way to early to tell, but let's assume "moderate" improvement in the team from last year.  In that case, it looks like 4-7 or 5-6 to me.  We should carry DD around on our shoulders if we go 7-4, regardless of who the wins are against.

I agree on the win-loss record, but I think it's pretty silly to praise a person for putting us in a terrible position to lower expectations and rising slightly above them.

I agree on the win-loss record, but I think it's pretty silly to praise a person for putting us in a terrible position to lower expectations and rising slightly above them.

My point wasn't that he deserved praise for meeting ridiculously low expectations, but that it would be quite an accomplishment to improve to 7 wins after last year's debacle. I'm completely on board with you that going 0-4 or 1-3 against this year's OOC schedule is completely unacceptable.

Dickey has had 4 winning seasons and 4 losing seasons up to this point. His overall record is far below .500 (39-55 i believe). If he goes below .500 again that makes it 5 losing seasons that we've had him here for. I don't care how low expectations are right now, it will have been 9 years and he will have more losing seasons than winning with a terrible record.

Dickey has had 4 winning seasons and 4 losing seasons up to this point. His overall record is far below .500 (39-55 i believe). If he goes below .500 again that makes it 5 losing seasons that we've had him here for. I don't care how low expectations are right now, it will have been 9 years and he will have more losing seasons than winning with a terrible record.

DD has had only 3 winning seasons out of 8, just FYI.