Mardi Gras just not the same this year

stebo

I was watching a thing on Mardi Gras last night - evidently you can get a hotel room with a balcony view of Bourbon Street right now - and we are in the middle of the celebration. I am trying to figure out why people just aren't going this year - does the average "Joe" think that Mardi Gras is cancelled this year? Are they worried about going to New Orleans for safety issues? Or does it just seem "wierd" to go party in a city filled with so much turmoil and heartbreak right now? I think it might be a little bit of everything... right now, I could actually go to Mardi Gras... I mean I could actually afford it (with the discounts announced yesterday) whereas in the past I just wouldn't pay the hotel rates for that 2 week period. It didn't make any sense to me to go to Mardi Gras when I could go during New Years for the New Years celebration and Sugar Bowl fun or in mid May for the annual Jazz Fest. Both of those occasions have (had?) just as much "scenery" as Mardi Gras but it was about half the price.

My question is this - will this sentiment about New Orleans still be around in 9-10 months? Will we still be worried about safety concerns, FEMA f-ups, Lack of fun/celebration, guilt, etc... and if we are affected by all of this stuff, will it kill the bowl game? What is going on with the Superdome? The last I heard was that it was going to be condemned but I saw them putting a new roof on it on the news last night. Are you more likely to go or less likely to go or does the current environment not make a difference on what you would do. I honestly don't know if I would go right now. There seems to be a lot of racial tension right now and honestly, it would be a safety issue for me. Maybe I am getting old or my anxiety is screwing with my head - but I honestly don't think it is safe there right now - the police (the ones that are left at least - over half of them quit) have bigger issues to deal with then trying to monitor the drunks on Bourbon Street.

I tend to agree with you on all points. A Texas firm got a contract to remodel the Superdome, so I'm assuming it's staying. I heard the Saints will play in it again this year.

I think a lot of things are troubling New Orleans right now, and I'm not sure anyone in the country can do much to change that. Add that to the fact that many people down there still don't have the basics, and you just feel guilty partying while others sit in misery. There was always a very seedy underbelly to New Orleans that made me uncomfortable, but now with many people gone, those with ill intentions are easier to spot. I think that makes everyone more uncomfortable.

It's a sad thing, and I hope for the city's sake they can resurrect it, but if we have another hurricane season like last one...

I saw a report about how street crime in New Orleans is at it's lowest since they've kept records. NPR did a seperate story about how the murder rate is now so low they are talking about laying off many of the homicide detectives. The detective's main job these days is answering questions from OTHER departments about suspects that were from New Orlean, but are now living in other cities.

The NFL and the City of New Orleans are making a very big deal about the Saints playing games at the Superdome next year. I notice the OWNER of the Saints is NOT talking about this!

Say what you want about the French, but they build their part of New Orleans ABOVE sea level. Many of the tourist areas in the Garden District are also starting to come back.

I'm not a big fan of Mardi Gras crowds, but perhaps this is a year to give it another try. Then again, I just bought some new furniture, so probably not for me!

I saw a report about how street crime in New Orleans is at it's lowest since they've kept records. NPR did a seperate story about how the murder rate is now so low they are talking about laying off many of the homicide detectives. The detective's main job these days is answering questions from OTHER departments about suspects that were from New Orlean, but are now living in other cities.

Unfortunately, crime in Southwest Houston is at an all-time high. Want to guess where a majority of the refugees/evacuees are now living?

I went to Galveston this past weekend and Mardi Gras was going on. I think they were expecting the crowd to be bigger than normal because of folks not going to New Orleans for whatever reason. I was on the Strand and overheard some folks discussing maybe going back to New Orleans next year, but were surprised at the celebration in Galveston.

Unfortunately, crime in Southwest Houston is at an all-time high.  Want to guess where a majority of the refugees/evacuees are now living?

I was just about to say the same thing. And I feel bad for doing so but its true. Many apartment complexes are basically being turned into slums. It seems as though you can not go a day without hearing of fights in schools between the NO and Htown students. And its no secret that many are using there FEMA money for purposes other than they should. I don't mind them still getting $$ if they need it. But then there are those who are living here for free, while receiving FEMA $$$, and have not made an effort to find a job.

I went to Galveston this past weekend and Mardi Gras was going on.  I think they were expecting the crowd to be bigger than normal because of folks not going to New Orleans for whatever reason.  I was on the Strand and overheard some folks discussing maybe going back to New Orleans next year, but were surprised at the celebration in Galveston.

I have been to this in the past. It's a great party. I'm kind of wondering if it might even supplant N.O. as Mardi Gras town if N.O. can't make a recovery.

I think Mardi Gras is just going to be smaller this year, and it may never be the same again. I'll get to see fist-hand since I'm heading down to New Orleans with the family on Thursday to stay through Mardi Gras.

One of the main influences on Mardi Gras is the amount of local people that don't have the expendable income that they've had in the past. It's incredibly expensive to ride in the parades and finances are very tight right now for a lot of people. The riding krewes of each of the parades pay from their own pockets for all the beads that they throw. I've paid between $2500 and $3000 on 'throws' when I rode in Bacchus, and I didn't even buy a whole lot of the expensive extras (blinky beads, footballs, specialty beads). That's a lot of money to literally throw away during a three hour ride on a trailer, and I fear that fewer people will be in the position to make that kind of commitment this year.

The "Super Krewes", Endymion, Bacchus and Orpheus will survive as well as Mardi Gras Day stalwarts Rex and Zulu, but many of the other smaller krewes will probably cease to exist because of the enormous costs involved (police for the parade route, insurance, and the costs associated with riding).

I think Mardi Gras is just going to be smaller this year, and it may never be the same again. I'll get to see fist-hand since I'm heading down to New Orleans with the family on Thursday to stay through Mardi Gras.

One of the main influences on Mardi Gras is the amount of local people that don't have the expendable income that they've had in the past. It's incredibly expensive to ride in the parades and finances are very tight right now for a lot of people. The riding krewes of each of the parades pay from their own pockets for all the beads that they throw. I've paid between $2500 and $3000 on 'throws' when I rode in Bacchus, and I didn't even buy a whole lot of the expensive extras (blinky beads, footballs, specialty beads). That's a lot of money to literally throw away during a three hour ride on a trailer, and I fear that fewer people will be in the position to make that kind of commitment this year.

The "Super Krewes", Endymion, Bacchus and Orpheus will survive as well as Mardi Gras Day stalwarts Rex and Zulu, but many of the other smaller krewes will probably cease to exist because of the enormous costs involved (police for the parade route, insurance, and the costs associated with riding).

Being from New Orleans I always feel the need to chime in on NOLA posts. Adler is dead on. Much of the extra income riders normally blow on throws/fees are going towards 'blue roof' repairs and such. Also, the city simply lacks the man power to pull off parades because most of the people who work lower paying jobs (less than 24k a year) are simply not there in the same numbers. This means no porta-potty cleaners, trash cleaners, street sweepers, etc.

It also leaves a large hole in all of the service industry as well. Stuff like McDonalds may have 1 cook and 1 counter person and close at 3:00pm everyday. Last time I was there (2 months ago) I had to wait 2 hours to eat at a restaurant and there was one cook, one waiter who also bused the tables, and the manager. Same thing at the bank. My aunt went through the drive through and there was one lady working 4 rows of cars.

I don't think that crime is an issue with the shortened mardi gras schedule for previously mentioned reasons. Also, the dome is being fixed as we speak. It's not going to be torn down and it's not condemned.

user posted image

New Orleans will be back to business as usual in a few years and so will Mardi Gras in my opinion. It's just the way us coon-asses are.

I'm sure it isn't the same this year as last year but what I do know is that we have three hotels in downtown NO and all three are sold out just like every other year. On top of that they sold at the same rates that they sold out at last year.

I personally take that as a pretty good sign. Slowly but surely things are coming around for them.

I was in New Orleans late last week and not much was happening especially on Bourbon Street, I am scheduled to Demob from Lake Charles to New Orleans on the 28th but the Police are basically non helpful or existant for the most part right now.

Smaller crowds for Mardi Gras is no suprise.

The nation and the world heard that it would take months to pump the city dry.

The nation and the world heard that the whole place was under many feet of water which just wasn't true of the older portions of the city.

The nation and the world saw thousands standing in the streets demanding someone help them or saw lots of video of looting of every store in sight (including police officers).

The nation and the world heard the reports of medical helicopters being fired upon by snipers when they tried to evacuate the sick and dying.

So now you have a lot of people convinced that New Orleans is a wasteland of stinking stagnant water and the ones that aren't convinced of that are convinced that there is no way they are safe there because the whole city has turned into a big version of Mad Max.

New Orleans faces a lot of public relations hurdles to be the tourist destination it once was.

Well it has'nt even been 6 months since Katrina. I am not sure any place could undergo that type of event and come back easily, much less a place like NO. We have such an appetite for instantaneous fixes in this country. Even New York wasn't the same the following year ~ this is an entire city.

I am so glad to be going back to New Orleans on business in a couple of weeks. I just want to give back somehow someway, even in the form of some business to the place that I love and have so many fond memories of.

Enjoy Mardi Gras everyone and don't worry - the spirit of that city will carry on - differently, but it will live on! All will be more back in order come December:

Hopefully that means the Mean Green will once again return to true NOB form!

GMG

Man, you couldn't have put it any better Mark, that is exactly what I was thinking. Meanwhile, on the nightly newscast, the Mayor of New Orleans is trying to blame the low turnout for Mardi Gras on everyone but himself. There are about 100 people running against him this April when he comes up for re-election so I think he is more worried about keeping his job then the real reasons behind the low turnout. I would be concerned about going to New Orleans for all the reasons that you have stated. Sure, they have drained the city, but how much could they have gotten accomplished other than that? Also - if your police force is half as big as it was - and you are still mobilizing them to deal with the people getting cut off from FEMA funds this month (thus returning) - how do you provide security down on Bourbon Street? Finally, there were some harsh things said about "why" the city supposedly did not get help in time when the disaster happened. I think a lot of people feel like they were blamed because of the color of their skin or their political affiliation fr what happened.

I know that I have a guy that works for me that evacuated New Orleans and he blames the White House. He was one of those that was in the Superdome for 3 days before getting bussed to an airport, sent to Houston, and eventually wound up in Dallas because he had distant relatives here that he could stay with. He still has not gotten his FEMA money yet other people are now being cut off from it because it has been three months. When I ask him why the hell he didn't get out of there when he was told to - he says that he didn't take it seriously because he figured if it was really going to be that bad; the government would "force" them to leave. Well, from the reports that I have read - even after a week or two had gone by, there were still people in the city refusing to leave because they would rather die then have their house looted. So I think he is resentful towards white America - actually, I know that he is, he has come flat out and told me so. Basically this was the straw that broke the camels back with him. He will never go back to New Orleans (that is what he says) - never, not even for a vacation. He saw too many attrocities there and I won't even post the specifics that he claims happened in the Super Dome - but they include fights, rapings, and at least one murder right in front of him over a bag of potato chips and some water. That was when his family separated - he sent his wife and two girls to go stand on the bridge and wait to be evacuated and then went back to his home to basically "camp" until more help came for him.

There are thousands of stories like this man's. So who will go back? And will it have the charm that it had before? Where will the music come from? Where will the street vendors come from? I know that we had 7 stores down there and have only gotten 3 opened back up. Of those 3, on any given day - they have to shut down early because they run out of food, not enough workers show up, or people walk out of the job on the spot because they get offered another job. If you are unemployed and want a job, get in a car and drive to New Orleans right now - you will have a job within 24 hours of arriving. We have employees getting paid $20-$25 bucks an hour down there whereas pre-hurricane they were making $8-$10 an hour on the average. On any given day, someone will come in to eat, enjoy the service that they got from an employee- ask them what they are getting paid - and offer them more more to come work for them instead... and the employees are chasing the cash. So you are really dealing with a wierd situation down there - it is great for the locals that have returned... there are a ton of jobs available and they are all paying triple what they were before the levee broke... at the same time, you have people that witnessed attrocities committed against them, have already started rebuilding in another city, and do not ever want to return to New Orleans again, not even for a vacation.

I believe that New Orleans will build back up from this, I am just wondering if it will be the same New Orleans that it was before the hurricane. I imagine the future New Orleans as a more quaint, subtle New Orleans with a much less diverse population and that makes me very sad. I have been going to New Orleans ever since I was 19 years old. I have been every year until last year for one reason or another - sometimes I have gone more then once a year. But if the New Orleans Bowl were to be scheduled in New Orleans for this weekend, with the Mean Green in it - I don't think I would make the trip.... and if you guys talked me into it; I just don't think it would be even close to the same as it used to be. And I would be worried for my safety the entire time.

Edited by stebo

I enjoy reading lots of history. Chicago was not the same after the Great Fire. Neither was London. Atlanta, Dresden and Hiroshima are three cities that changed dramatically after wars destroyed much of them. They all "came back," but they came back differently than before.

The folks I know who lived there for a while are all back. Those I know who had moved there a few years before have all moved on. About five years seems to be the "break point" among the people I personally know. If you lived there five years, you went back. Otherwise you did not. At least not yet.

New Orleans will rise again, but it won't be quite the same New Orleans. I'm saying it will be better or worse, but it will be a little different. While I loved the old New Orleans, we should be willing to embrace the new.

I enjoy reading lots of history. Chicago was not the same after the Great Fire. Neither was London. Atlanta, Dresden and Hiroshima are three cities that changed dramatically after wars destroyed much of them. They all "came back," but they came back differently than before.

The folks I know who lived there for a while are all back. Those I know who had moved there a few years before have all moved on. About five years seems to be the "break point" among the people I personally know. If you lived there five years, you went back. Otherwise you did not. At least not yet.

New Orleans will rise again, but it won't be quite the same New Orleans. I'm saying it will be better or worse, but it will be a little different. While I loved the old New Orleans, we should be willing to embrace the new.

That is a great way to put it. And I really like Bernie's (NMGreen) spirit regarding going back to New Orleans to try and give back a little to a city that has given all of us so many great memories. New Orleans has a special place in my heart. I always felt like travelling there was the closest thing to travelling to Europe that we had in the USA. The culture and language just intrigue me. That city grabbed ahold of me as a 19 year old college student and I have dragged literally hundreds of friends with me to it every year until 2005. 2005 was my first year to not visit N'Awlins since 1991. I will go back eventually - mostly out of curiosity. But I fear that it will never have that culture or be as unique as it was. I am glad to hear that the Superdome was salvagable - we need that bowl game for our conference and from the Bourbon Cams I have been looking at this week - right in the middle of the traditional Mardi Gras celebration - it looks like New Orleans might actually NEED us (the Sun Belt and the New Orleans Bowl) for a change rather then just host us as a nice little token. Heck, maybe the game will grow even more in the new New Orleans - the locals that return will be very "proud" of their city and support local events like the New Orleans Bowl rather then see them as a nuisance. I think that the new local population of New Orleans will appreciate every tourist dollar that is brought into the city for the next few years - especially given the turnout at the current Mardi Gras. Heck, maybe by the time the bowl game rolls around, we will be embraced with the most open arms ever. I just hope the Mean Green are back where they belong this December - New Orleans.